The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2015, 07:29 AM   #1
Road_Clam

Want to add a progressive press ?

So I've been S/S loading now for about 3 years. I'm seeing the need to load some bulk ammo as now my wife and daughter are liking the AR15 for general "zombie plinking". I need a progressive that can do .223, 40S&W , and 460 S&W mag. I need a progressive that takes up minimal space , and I have no problem compromising lesser speed for a smaller package. I'm leaning towards the Hornady Lock and Load ? Your thoughts and opinions ?
Old August 12, 2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Nick_C_S

Any brand of progressive press is fine - as long as it's Dillon.

To be more serious, I loaded on a single-stage (RCBS) for almost 31 years before I went progressive just a few months ago. I got a Dillon 550. It's only a four-stage, but it suits my needs just fine. The five-stage 650 is more popular.

I turned to Dillon because of the overwhelming positive feedback here on TFL - as it so thoroughly exceeded the anecdotal. My loyalty with RCBS is strong; but when it came time to go progressive, I chose Dillon and I am not disappointed in the slightest. They may cost a few more $'s, but you're paying a few more dollars for a lot less headache. A bargain.
Old August 12, 2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Grizz12

Dillon 550B is what I use and love it
Old August 12, 2015, 10:17 AM   #4
condor bravo

I second and third the recommendation for the Dillon 550B. Not at all familiar with the Hornady L and L but there just seems to be too many complaints against it. I've often questioned the feasability of doing, say, .30-06s on the 550B but .223s should be no problem (but still might be advisable to lube the cases--hardly necessary with handgun brass). Save all of the more heavy duty rifle cartridge loading for the single stage. Have been using two 550s for what seems like centuries now. Can't go wrong. Like any progressive, just a matter of becomming aware of its idiosyncrasies and learning how to quickly fix any glitches that may come up.

Last edited by condor bravo; August 12, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old August 12, 2015, 10:22 AM   #5
GEARHEAD_ENG

The Hornady LnL AP is easy to get setup and running, has 5 true stations, and good customer service. I am loading 9mm and 38spl currently. I have everything I need to load 40S&W as well. I recommend getting the PTX die to expand on the powder drop and the RCBS lockout die for safety. Then you have room for a seprate seat + factory crimp or a bullet feed die + seat/crimp combo die.

If you can afford a Dillon, they are great presses. If you're on a budget, the LnL won't dissapoint either.
Old August 12, 2015, 11:27 AM   #6
wogpotter

Both the Dillon & the Hornady work well.The difference is in the details.

I have (& like) a Dillon, but it's not perfect. I don't have a Hornady, but I've heard they have some issues as well.

Why are you leaning towards the Hornady? What about it is "better" than the Dillon?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 12, 2015, 11:29 PM   #7
GJSchulze

Any brand of progressive press is fine - as long as it's Hornady.

Don't drink the blue kool-aid; cherry tastes much better
Old August 12, 2015, 11:48 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

I'll vouch for my Dillon 550B, it's a good, smooth, machine, makes consistent ammo.

Won't compare it to Hornady because I've never used one, but you will not regret choosing Dillon over another brand. I'm reloading about 20 calibers and have seen no deficiencies in the press.
Old August 13, 2015, 06:31 AM   #9
Road_Clam

The only reason I was leaning towards the L&L was the mount configuration. I don't have the bench space to add a second press, so I need to remove my current press and swap it for the progressive. Currently I have my RCBS RC mounted on a raised pedestal. Looks like the Dillon uses a raised bracket system and that mount wont work with my pedestal ?

Old August 13, 2015, 07:16 AM   #10
wogpotter

The way I see it you have 2 choices.

Get whatever fits your pedestal & learn to love it, whatever it is, or get something else & lose the pedestal.

Dillon has what they call a "strong mount" I don't use one because I custom built the bench with a top tall enough to bolt directly to the top. There are other riser mounts for the Dillons in addition to Dillon's own as well.

Old August 13, 2015, 11:08 AM   #11
jmorris

I would just unbolt the pedestal instead of the press myself.

In any case the sheet metal "strong mount" that Dillon sells is an option.

I mount all of mine directly to the bench (or flat sub plate onto the bench).

I have had two LNL's (pre and post EZ ject) I would not pick it over a 650.
Old August 13, 2015, 11:16 AM   #12
emcon5

I think the Dillon should fit your base. I don't have a 550, but I do have a Dillon Square Deal B, and a RCBS Rock Chucker, and the footprints on my bench are about the same.

The 550 May be bigger, but probably not that much bigger.

Look at the photo of the strong mount here: http://www.dillonprecision.biz/categ...-strong-mount/

The mount is 8" tall, it isn't perfect because of the angle, but look at the depth compared to the height. I would be surprised if it is over about 3 1/2",
Old August 13, 2015, 01:02 PM   #13
Economist

I have had great results from my LnL AP. I doubt you will be disappointed by the Hornady.
Old August 13, 2015, 02:54 PM   #14
wogpotter

One possible advantage of the strong mount is that you can attach several "trays" & "Akro Bins" to the mount itself. That might end up freeing up some of your worktop?

Old August 13, 2015, 03:07 PM   #15
jmorris

At one time I had two side by side, one stock and one with SM and roller handle.

Shortly after this I got rid of the SM.

Old August 13, 2015, 03:43 PM   #16
FITASC

I have had progressive machines from a variety of companies for a variety of ammo making and they all share one thing - the major headache always seems to come from the primer area. If anything is going to bring out Mr. Murphy, it is there more than likely.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 13, 2015, 06:13 PM   #17
9mmfun

Buy an inline fabrication mount & plate system, then swap in whichever press you want to use. It's a great system for those that don't have the space to mount multiple presses.
Old August 14, 2015, 03:55 AM   #18
Nathan

Quote:
Any brand of progressive press is fine - as long as it's Hornady.

Don't drink the blue kool-aid; cherry tastes much better
Easier caliber changes!
Old August 14, 2015, 12:20 PM   #19
BigJimP

I prefer the Dillon - and their 650 press is roughly equivalent to the Hornaday LNL ( not the 550 )....the Dillon 550 manually indexes and has no capacity for a 5th station in the toolhead for a powder check die ( and that's a big deal to me ). ( Dillon SDB is for handgun calibers only ).

Dillon 650 will meet all your needs ...making it fit your pedestal / just means fabricating something...not that big a deal / get some steel - to modify the top.

Caliber changes are not easier on LNL ...they're pretty easy on both LNL and 650.
Old August 14, 2015, 07:55 PM   #20
Carriertxv

Hornady LNL has worked great for me.
Old August 14, 2015, 08:29 PM   #21
THEWELSHM

Hornady LNL mine runs beautiful take it apart when you get it clean it good and set it up per Bill Morgan youtube videos. You will love it

Thewelshm
Old August 14, 2015, 09:02 PM   #22
BillM

Quote:
Buy an inline fabrication mount & plate system, then swap in whichever press you want to use. It's a great system for those that don't have the space to mount multiple presses.
+1 on that--and while you are ordering goodies from Inline Fabrication
get their light setup for the 550B. Drops into the hole in the middle of the
tool head. I used a series of little reading lights etc to see into the case
and eyeball the powder before setting the bullet--all were a pain.
The Inline Fab light is some of the best money spent on reloading
gizmos EVER.
Old August 15, 2015, 06:50 AM   #23
Road_Clam

That modular "inline fab" mount system is slick , I like it.. I do CNC machining by trade and can probably modify my current pedestal mount to work similar to that inline fab system. Thanks for all the feedback !
Old August 15, 2015, 09:45 PM   #24
joed

I've owned 3 Dillon progressives, a 550, 650 and a 1050. The 550 is a nice press but after 1 year I sold it and moved on to the 650. My complaint with the 550 is I won't own a progressive press that can't have a powder check station. My 550 gave me 3 squibs and was gone. The day I sold it I ordered a 650.

I don't think the Hornady is a bad choice but I've never owned one.
Old August 16, 2015, 10:04 AM   #25
condor bravo

Copied from my post to a related thread.

Yes, good point, have had a squib or two along with a few no charges. Happens when the powder bar does not return to pick up a new charge after dumping the previous charge. Requires cleaning accumulated residue from beneath the powder bar and its mating sliding surface. One of the habits that must be formed is visually making sure the powder bar does return properly after each charge. Good way to ruin a barrel by putting a fully charged round on top of a bullet jammed part way up the barrel but have never done it. There haven't been many or any comments on this side of the problem. But yes, a rod can be connected to the powder bar to ensure that it is pulled back automatically after each charge. I just choose not to use it, bad idea.