The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2015, 02:18 AM   #1
Oldshooter60

Blazer brass reloading problem

I'm loading .45ACP and find that I cannot get my CCI large pistol primers to seat on any blazer brass. I use a Lee single stage press to seat the primers.

All other brass work just fine... Winchester, Remington, Aguila, etc etc

Just the blazer is the problem....

Thoughts?
Old February 19, 2015, 02:22 AM   #2
Oldshooter60

Oh... Blazer has small primer pocket...
Old February 19, 2015, 05:24 AM   #3
Gravedigger56

Ooops.

Is there any listings that show what size primers different manuf. brass require? Might save things like this from happening.
Old February 19, 2015, 07:08 AM   #4
Snyper

Quote:
Is there any listings that show what size primers different manuf. brass require? Might save things like this from happening
Reloading manuals tell you, but just looking is usually good enough
Old February 19, 2015, 08:29 AM   #5
overthere

Some headstamps, like Blazer and FC come in both small or large primer pocket so visual inspection is necessary
Old February 19, 2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I believe it's the result of green ammo. The lead-free primers use DDNT instead of lead styphnate. DDNT has higher brissance, one consequence of which is it makes gas so fast it can pop a primer loose in a large pistol case. So, for large pistol they had to drill the primer pocket flash holes larger to vent the gas faster, and you can find some LP primer pocket cases labeled NT for non-toxic that have larger 1/8" flash holes to accommodate those primers. Then somebody realized that flash holes in small primer pockets are proportionally larger than the primer diameter already, so why not use small primer pockets for .45 Auto and then the cases don't have to have different flash holes for standard and NT primers. Voila, simplification and lower bulk primer costs for small standard primers in the first place.

It's a win-win for the ammo manufacturers, as long as everyone's firing pins are well enough centered. Only the handloader loses, as when the odd LP primer goes off against an SP case in his loading gear, and because he has to sort the two types of case.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 19, 2015, 08:59 AM   #7
TimSr

I'm trying to understand the OP. Are you trying to seat large pistol primers in brass that takes a small pistol primer?

Would small pistols primers not be the simple solution?

What am I missing in this thread?
Old February 19, 2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

He was probably priming mixed brass and kept finding the LP primers wouldn't go into those cases that had the Blazer headstamp. Then he looked closer and noted the small primer pocket and ceased trying to seat LP primers in them. Issue resolved.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 19, 2015, 02:13 PM   #9
mikld

The major "problem" with small primer 45 ACP is the lack of inspection by the reloader prior to primer stuffin'...

All the 45 ACP range pickups I bring home gets a quick inspection to remove steel cases then it goes into the tumbler (the only brass of mine to get polished is 45 ACP and 30-06 so I can find them in the dirt). Then I inspect for defects and headstamp (don't want any Amec brass) and while looking at the head, I glance at the primer. Small primers go into my "Later Bucket" and the other brass goes into the "Now Bucker" for reloading...

Last edited by mikld; February 19, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old February 19, 2015, 11:59 PM   #10
Oldshooter60

Yep... Mixed brass... Never thought to consider there would be a primer size diff.... Should have figured it out sooner
Old February 20, 2015, 01:41 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

small primer pockets in .45acp brass is a fairly recent thing. (fairly recent to me means in the last decade or two )

On those rare occasions I get some, I toss them. I've got enough .45 brass I can do that and not worry. It simply doesn't wear out if you do things right. Well, almost. Inferior stuff (no matter who's headstamp) will crack eventually, but they seem to last forever.

I've got a couple cases headstamped RA 18 that I have loaded probably a couple dozen times since the 1970s. They're in my "plinker" brass, and every so often, they come up for reloading. Still working just fine as of their last cycle.

Does it get better than that?

No small pistol primer .45acps for me, thanks!
Old February 20, 2015, 01:48 AM   #12
hartcreek

Same thing happens with 7.62x39.