The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 3, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1
ZVP

I'm spoiled!

For decades I have shot precision Air rifles and have become accustomed to 10m very small groups and 30 yard cloverleafs. I normally shoot playing cards, trying to put pellet groups into each symbol and often do.
In the hunting fields I got used to picking a specific spot and laanding a pell where I knew the vitals lay.
Now I have gone full circle and am shootingBP revolvers and CF single actions and a sweet little bobbed hammer Chiefs Special.
My problem is that non of these give the one hole (hopefully!) precision I am accustomed to and it's very frustrating to throw a fist sized group and have it called OK!
Funny how this has all worked out...
BPDave
Old July 3, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Jim243

You are comparing Apples and Oranges.

Jim
Old July 4, 2013, 11:05 AM   #3
g.willikers

It is amazing how accurate air guns can be.
The most accurate rifle that I own is an inexpensive break barrel .177, of very moderate velocity.
.22s can be not far behind, but center fires require some very expensive custom gunsmith work to even come close.
And that's the way it is.
For satisfaction with your handguns, just use larger targets.
Old July 6, 2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

Funny... I think the only gun I have that doesn't shoot one hole groups at 25 yards is a air rifle. 25 yards is almost knife fighting range.

Boomer
Old July 18, 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
ZVP

Apples and...

Well I could have included the HD shotgun I just built that groups 9 balls in 7" @ 12yds...
Seriously, I just find it foreign after all those years chasing the one hole 30 yd group with the Airguns and now I rave about much larger groups with my revolvers! Far as one hole revolver groups go, I am sure it's my poor shooting that prevents them. I a happy with the preformance of most of my revolvers and quite amazed at a particular '58 Remington @ 7 yards! It is a true cloverleafer!
Getting used to larger groups from my revolvers is just a little different my little Chief's Special being the hardest revolver to shoot as I have the hammer "bobbed" and shoot it D/A exclusivelly. it is all enjoyment of the shooting sport as is those aforementioned shotgun patterns. Ijust thought i'd discuss the point.
Thanks for the comebacks!
BPDave
Old July 18, 2013, 09:51 AM   #6
MrBorland

Yep - apples & oranges.

Rifle shooters may be used to MOA or even sub-MOA accuracy from a supported position or rest, but a handgunner that can consistently shoot 10 MOA (on demand and unsupported, with a service-size handgun) is demonstrating excellent handgun accuracy.
Old July 18, 2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Picher

CVP - If you want to try precision shooting, try rimfire benchrest. I've been doing it for almost 20 years. You fire one shot at each 1/4" bullseye at 50 yards, but wind, mirage, ammo, rifle, and bench technique all try to make you miss. Winners seldom get less than 23 out of 25 bullseyes, then the X-Count is all-important. After that, ties are broken by the first bull missed, then by the first X missed.

It's probably the most difficult shooting game, but equipment is probably more important than shooter technique. It's a money pit.

After you try rimfire benchrest, you'll be very happy to get lousy groups with your snubbie, after all that kind of gun was not meant to shoot targets, but bad guys at very short distances...maybe two yards!