The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 15, 2013, 08:47 PM   #51
CTS

Quote:
I try not to read into things that are not there.
Not too sure what you mean by that.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:07 PM   #52
ThomasT

If I am adding rounds I have my left hand on the forearm supporting the rifle/shotgun and my right hand doing the reloading.

Anyway I am done with this silly thread asking for the best 7 shot rifle for defense.

We are not there yet so there is no real answer to be had. NY is on its own and will have to fight its own battles. I will help if I can but I don't know how.

Last edited by ThomasT; January 15, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:28 PM   #53
CTS

Quote:
If I am adding rounds I have my left hand on the forearm supporting the rifle/shotgun and my right hand doing the reloading.
But what you fail to understand is, as I have said several times, the military and law enforcement training both taught me to keep my right hand in the firing position and shotgun either at the shoulder or tucked under the arm while loading with the left hand. That way even while loading you can cover your target and if something moves you can still shoot. It is really quite easy to master after a little practice. Instead of saying something that has been taught for years can't be done, why not give it a try and maybe you will learn something.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:41 PM   #54
seeker_two

Rotate your levergun 45* to the left, reach over with your left hand, and load rounds through the gate. SASS shotgunners have run 1897 shotguns in a similar way for decades.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:08 PM   #55
CTS

Completely agree. I never said you couldn't do it with a lever gun. There is still the part about rotating it 45deg to the left which makes it a little harder to keep on target than a pump shotgun. I never tried to start an argument here. I just agreed with someone who stated a fact about a pump shotgun or a lever gun (post #25 to be specific) and have had a few people who apparently don't know any better tell me I was wrong about something I was trained to do many years ago and have practiced ever since.

Last edited by CTS; January 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:14 PM   #56
CTS

Quote:
The OP asked about a 7 shot RIFLE, not a shotgun. Thats why its in the rifle forum. I wondered how long it would take before someone didn't read the original post and suggested a shotgun. I didn't have long to wait.
Ratshooter, the OP specifically said "what rifle (or other long gun) would you pick and why". What do you suppose was meant by other long gun? Before ridiculing someone for not reading the OP, maybe you should read it yourself huh?
Old January 15, 2013, 11:16 PM   #57
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Bad form. Maintain a firing grip on the weapon and reload with your weak hand.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:18 PM   #58
CTS

Thank you very much.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:57 AM   #59
SC4006

I highly recommend a Barrett M107 with a 7 round mag. It's small easy to carry, the rounds have no chance of over-penetration.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:30 AM   #60
ThomasT

Quote:
Ratshooter, the OP specifically said "what rifle (or other long gun) would you pick and why". What do you suppose was meant by other long gun? Before ridiculing someone for not reading the OP, maybe you should read it yourself huh?
Here ya go slappy. The title from the OPs original thread. Not a damn thing in it about a shotgun. He posted the question in the semi-auto RIFLE forum. If the OP wanted a shotgun there is a shotgun forum. Maybe you should try reading a little closer yourself.

Quote:
Best Choice for HD Rifle With Only Seven Rounds
Quote:
What do you suppose was meant by other long gun?
I don't like to try and second guess what the OP meant. I just go by what he wrote.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:35 AM   #61
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I highly recommend a Barrett M107 with a 7 round mag. It's small easy to carry, the rounds have no chance of over-penetration.
You could use a 36GA shotgun with slugs it would be exactly the same, yet lighter.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:58 AM   #62
RedBowTies88

AR in .50 BEO

And don't bring up bayonettes, they're already illegal here (on a semi-auto) we don't need to give the rest of the states any ideas
Old January 16, 2013, 11:28 AM   #63
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
And don't bring up bayonettes, they're already illegal here (on a semi-auto) we don't need to give the rest of the states any ideas
WTH? Was there a spate of drive by bayonetings that called for this action?
Old January 16, 2013, 11:33 AM   #64
RedBowTies88

Quote:
WTH? Was there a spate of drive by bayonetings that called for this action?
Nope, just crooked polaticians Looking to disarm the people any way they can.

I mean who really needs bayonets right?

More info here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC2iu3CTPc
Old January 16, 2013, 11:43 AM   #65
customaquatics

a Sharps 45-70 cause how could it possibly be banned?
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:52 AM   #66
SR420

My .45-70 Guide Gun holds 6 rounds plus one in the chamber if I wish.

Old January 16, 2013, 02:03 PM   #67
DTrain

Mossberg 464 SPX maybe?

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifl...-464-spx/41026
Old January 16, 2013, 02:11 PM   #68
tkglazie

Any run of the mill .30-30 lever action would be a fine choice for home defense.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:24 PM   #69
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Already picked it a long time ago out of all my guns. My choice for defense is my Win 94, 32 Win spcl because its short, light, quick to mount, dead on accurate off hand out to 50 yards and I have a ton of ammo for it. Well more like 1600 rounds and triple that in clean once fired brass waiting for me to load it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 16, 2013, 04:14 PM   #70
CTS

Hey Ratshooter ,real nice how you left out the fact that he later admitted that he alluded shotguns in his original post. You got some kind of reading problem or what?
From Alabama shooter Post#24:
Quote:
I alluded to shotguns in my post in a non specific way.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:59 PM   #71
ThomasT

Slappy. You are just not worth the effort to respond to any further. Welcome to my ignore list. You are all alone I'm afraid.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:05 PM   #72
tkglazie

Good choice Old Grump. That was actually what I had in mind (love my model 94 .32spcl) but I went with .30-30 because they are so much more common.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:29 PM   #73
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I guess thats why I thought we were talking about rifles only. So maybe I didn't misread the OP after all.
Guess it helps to read the post then doesn't it? But never fear, whether or not he included "other long guns" he was gonna get shotgun and lever guns suggestions. Why? Same reason my answer to the question of "Best way to jump off a bridge?" is gonna be "don't do it". If someone ask a question regarding one option is it not only OK but also required that we point out a better option?
Old January 16, 2013, 05:45 PM   #74
ThomasT

Killkinny I have read every post on here. Some several times. I beleive the OP started the thread in response to the new mag limit of 7 rounds for semi-autos imposed by the new york governor.

Once again in the original post he had no mention of shotguns. It took the OP 25 post to say he might be alluding to shotguns.

If the OP is open to any gun that only holds 7 rounds why not post the question in the general rifle section instead of the semi-auto forum?

And I am aware that that other guns will be suggested. It would just be nice if there wasn't so much thread drift.

Anyway, you guys have fun with it.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:13 PM   #75
CTS

And yet you choose to ignore the part where he said in his original post. What rifle (or other long gun) would you choose and why. What exactly did you think he meant by other long gun? What other long guns are there besides rifles and shot guns. It is obvious what the OP meant right from the start and then he even said it himself in a later post so why are you arguing with me about it? Tough to admit you were wrong? Suck it up dude. It happens to all of us.
Quote:
Once again in the original post he had no mention of shotguns. It took the OP 25 post to say he might be alluding to shotguns.
Made no mention of semi autos or lever guns either but that point seems to slip right by you.

Last edited by CTS; January 16, 2013 at 08:15 PM.