The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2012, 04:09 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

chemical handwarmers

Do you use them?

Anyone ever done comparison of brands?

Alternatives like zippo warmer, buddy heater, reusable, etc?

Do they have scent that scares wildlife?
Old November 30, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Ben Towe

Hot Hands seem to work well. No scent that I'm aware of.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've used a number of different handwarmer solutions over the years -- liquid fuel, solid fuel, and chemical.

The thing I like about the chemical packs is that they are very small and thin, weigh virtually nothing, and you can tuck them places where you can't put another kind of hand warmer.

The solid fuel ones are convenient, but they have a tendency to go out when you really need them.

The liquid fuel ones probably deliver the most heat, but they are also the largest. And fuel is geting to be quite expensive.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

I use the larger size Hot Hands, 4x5, and they do last a long time. The really small, glove-sized did not.
http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Hand-B...l+hand+warmers
Old November 30, 2012, 08:15 AM   #5
RobertInIowa

I also use the Hot Hands. The hand ones come in 2 sizes and there are ones made for your toes also. They work very well and I don't believe they leave any scent. I put them in my shoes, gloves and pants pockets. Keeps me very comfortable.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Backwoodsboy

Hot hands brand are the ticket for me as well, can turn an unbearable day around quickly
Old November 30, 2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use various HotHands models. I especially like the toe warmers. I put one on the bottom and one on top of my toes. Works great.
Also, the kind you'll find in drug stores that actually wrap around your body and are intended for muscle pain work really well for super-cold days. They're a bit pricey though.

On cold days, it's not unusual for me to have 8 or 10 HotHands products all at once. 4 on my feet, one for each hand a couple in front pockets, a couple in back pockets and a couple sticky types on my back.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Brian, I tried the foot ones. I thought my toes were on fire! Then they got all sweaty and so my feet were on fire on the bottom of the toes, but sweating all over.

I sometimes do duct tape one inside the cuff of each pant leg of my coveralls. Sitting in the stand with my knees bent, I often get chilled below the knees, not just in the feet either. This helps quite a bit without feeling like my legs are on fire. It also helps stave off my feet feeling as cold.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They do get awfully hot if you're walking around. I'm pretty sure that the foot ones are made for low-oxygen environments and walking around keeps the air circulating and they get really hot. Obviously, your feet are also less cold when you're walking so it's a double whammy.

I have rather poor circulation in my feet and hands so they don't get too hot for me. My dad can't stand to use them on his feet either, says they get too hot.

I wish hunting season was late spring and early fall.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:31 PM   #10
rickyrick

Poor fellas, it's been in the 70's and 80' s.

I'm sure in New York, you might need a few more than here.

I've used them because it can get really cold in Texas too.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
evilleprichaun

i have the zippo reusible one i really like it it stays really warm for virtually all day. the only down side is if ur holding it out it does kinda make the place smell like lighter fluid but when its in the pouch in ur pocket u cant really smell it , i would definitely recomend it
Old November 30, 2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Smokey Joe

Handwarmers...

John Williamson--I've used the liquid-fueled ones for many years, and been concerned for the whole time about the odor. Never had proof one way or the other about the odor affecting deer or other game.

I've hunted with a bud who swears by the little chemical paks you can put into your boot, or into a glove. They have no odor, at least one I can detect, and he has been very successful over the years, both gun and archery hunting. My objection to the chemical paks is that they are a one-use item; you constantly have to buy new ones and dispose of the dead ones.

A different consideration altogether: In recent years I've been using a muff, rather than any handwarmer, with great success. It keeps the hands toasty warm; you leave it on your left hand (for a right-handed shooter) and hold the rifle up, and your right hand is bare, warm, and free to operate safety, bolt and trigger squeeze with no impediments. A pair of light gloves augments the muff, for use when hiking out to one's stand, etc. So that is the way I've gone. Haven't used a handwarmer of any type in the last 5 years at least.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; November 30, 2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old November 30, 2012, 04:06 PM   #13
plateshooter

I use the Jon E and now the Zippo liquid fuel type. I run Coleman fuel in mine. A gallon of fuel lasts a couple of winters for me even under heavy use.

I bought some of those snap types that you recycle by boiling them. They put out nice heat but it only lasts for a few minutes.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:32 PM   #14
SPEMack618

I like the 4x4 Handwarmers and throw them in the bottom of my waders.

I will activate two and throw them in my waders as I'm getting dressed and put two fresh ones in right before I put my waders on.
Old December 1, 2012, 08:34 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

I have taken to hunting out of my chair blind. It is the easiest/safest to fall asleep in Since it is relatively small and enclosed I have generally just closed it up as much as possible with half length foam sleeping pad on the ground to insulate then open 3-4 chem warmers and drop them. The foam pad also eliminates leaf rustling. I bought a big box a while back and just ran out so I was thinking of trying something new. Bought a zippo and I am going to give it a try.

I also don't like the fact that the chem warmers are one use and throw away. If I hunt 20 days in the winter that is at 80 of them I am tossing in a landfill.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 1, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 09:47 PM   #16
chewie146

It's activated charcoal for the hot hands, I believe. Wouldn't that absorb scent?
Old December 1, 2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
If I hunt 20 days in the winter that is at 80 of them I am tossing in a landfill.
They are charcoal, iron, cellulose with a bit of water and salt. You can dump them on the ground and enrich the soil with them - no need for the landfill except for the pouch and packaging.
http://cen.acs.org/articles/88/i4/Hand-Warmers.html
Old December 2, 2012, 07:34 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

NOt sure, but I think vermiculite has an MSDS sheet. Doesn't necessarily mean it is bad for the environment, but it probably isn't good.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:51 PM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

MSDS sheets are about the safety of the people using the product, they don't generally provide commentary on environmental impact. The MSDS for vermiculite, by the way, says you shouldn't breathe it or get it in your eyes because if you do either of those things it will cause irritation. Basically the same kinds of cautions one would be well advised to follow with any sort of dirt/clay/mineral/sand/etc.

The fact that a particular substance has an MSDS doesn't automatically mean it's dangerous. The MSDS might say that there are no hazardous ingredients and no special precautions for handling or use. And even if it is hazardous to breathe, for example, that doesn't automatically mean it has to go in a landfill.

Vermiculite is a special type of clay that is (among other uses) commonly recommended for soil conditioning--it is mixed with soil that is unsuitable or inhospitable to cultivation to improve its characteristics. So there's absolutely no problem with disposing of it outside of a landfill. In fact, in many areas, you're actually improving the soil by doing so.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:18 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, well... lots of things can have an MSDS

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927321
Old December 2, 2012, 09:25 PM   #21
Legionnaire

I always carry several unopened pairs of Hot Hands in my backpack. Typically, the hike in keeps me warm for the first hour or so, but when extremities begin go get cold, I'll fire up a pair of the Hot Hands and stick 'em in my gloves. I also carry a couple of sets of toe warmers, which I will use in the same way. However, I've not hunted in conditions cold enough in the past couple of years to need the toe warmers inside my pac boots.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:01 AM   #22
Gbro

I never used any hand warmers because i felt the oders might lessen my chances but there is very little evidence to suport this. I do however know that using unsented (perfume) soaps and keeping at least the outer garments out of the hunting shack and all the cooking smells have been helpful.
When it comes to an alerted deer, anything can ignite their afterburners!
I use Kirk's soap only for hunting and its getting hard to find locally. And its all-in-one bath and shampoo! nothing lathers like it in cold Rocky Mountain stream water.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:56 AM   #23
klyph3

If you use, the chemical packs, look for the ones packaged in Mylar rather than plastic. They keep longer and are less likely to be duds.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:17 PM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

Word of warning on the chemical handwarmers!

A friend just found this out the hard way and had to make a quick trip to the vet.

If you have dogs that like to chew, make sure you do NOT let them get hold of these devices!

If they ingest the contents, they can develop iron toxcicity.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/iron-to...ogs/page1.aspx

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:04 PM   #25
sc928porsche

Hand warmers???? What will they think of next. Maybe electric socks. Must be the new generation. Back in my day we walked to school 2 miles in waist high snow, uphill, both ways.

Actually, I've seen them but never used any of them.