The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 17, 2012, 12:44 PM   #1
warbirdlover

Which is Best of AR type .308, .243 calibers?

Just curious as to which of these type of rifles (which would be used for deer hunting) in .243, 7mm-08, .308 etc (similar to Remington's R25) is most accurate and "how" accurate. Also which is most reliable (please tell any horror stories). I've always used bolt actions but if these are lighter and easier handling I could see them for whitetail hunting here in Wisconsin.

Learn me!!! Thanks!
Old September 17, 2012, 03:58 PM   #2
RT

In 7.62-- LaRue OBR or KAC SR-25, followed closely by the LMT MWS
Old September 17, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
jgcoastie

Unless you're toting around a 9-10lb bolt action, an AR-10 type rifle will not be lighter...

You'll be fine, accuracy and reliability wise with any of the big name manufacturers... RRA, Colt, SigSauer, Remington/DPMS, etc... When it comes down to it, they're all going to put a hole where you want it if you do your part.

If you want a really expensive deer rifle, check out the major players, Wilson Combat, LMT, etc...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:56 PM   #4
raimius

Most AR-10s are going to be in the 10-12lb range, once you put glass on top.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:52 PM   #5
RyeDaddy

Yeah, not lighter at all. But most are totally reliable and can be as accurate as a bolt action. My Patriot Ordnance Factory P-308 is more accurate than most bolt actions at 0.5-0.75 MOA. It has never had a malfunction and I've put 2000 rounds through it so far. Runs clean and reliable suppressed also. I've taken it out to 600 yards and it's all one could ask for. Unscoped and unloaded it's just shy of 9 lbs.

My buddy's DPMS 308 has been 100% reliable and averages 1.25 MOA, he doesn't have as many rounds through it though.

If I were in the market and wasn't looking at POF I'd check out the Colt 901 or the LMT MWS.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:25 AM   #6
SR420

From what I have gathered reading what owners have posted in various forums the
LaRue OBR and LMT are tops. There is no real weight savings, all AR-10s are heavy.
Make sure quality mags are available at reasonable prices before you buy your AR-10.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:20 AM   #7
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
From what I have gathered reading what owners have posted in various forums the LaRue OBR and LMT are tops. There is no real weight savings, all AR-10s are heavy. Make sure quality mags are available at reasonable prices before you buy your AR-10.

Reading gives you the flavor of the week popular names - not necessarily the "tops." The Internet seems to be more like an echo chamber than an information source. GAP, JP Enterprises, Les Baer, and several othersl make .308's that are at the "top" of the .308 AR field.

As for magazines - if they use the Magpul style .308 magazine - all you do is order them - you don't have the option of multiple manufacturer sources so the prices are whatever you can find them for. Usually in the $20-25 range for a 20 round magazine.

To the OP - if I wanted a military style .308 for field use and hunting I'd get the FN SCAR 17. The AR styles are heavy as previously noted. Mine (Les Baer Sniper) weighs nearly 14lbs with a US Optics scope.

If what I wanted was a .308 semi-auto for hunting, then I'd start looking at hunting rifles like the Browning, Remington, etc. semi-autos.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:27 AM   #8
tobnpr

Quote:
If what I wanted was a .308 semi-auto for hunting, then I'd start looking at hunting rifles like the Browning, Remington, etc. semi-autos.
Ditto. If you're just seeking minute of deer accuracy, you don't need to spend the bucks for LaRue or LMT. Nothing wrong with it if ya got the coin, just unnecessary for your use.

I'd also look hard at the FNAR, or DPMS (if you want the AR-10 platform) for about a grand.

The FNAR (standard, not the heavy) weighs in at only 8 lbs..., and it's quick handling with a 16" barrel.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/com...fnar-standard/
Old September 20, 2012, 07:37 AM   #9
SR420

I read this on the internet

Quote:
buckhorn_cortez
GAP, JP Enterprises, Les Baer, and several othersl make .308's that are at the "top" of the .308 AR field.
I also read this on the internet

Quote:
buckhorn_cortez Reading gives you the flavor of the week popular names - not necessarily the "tops." The Internet seems to be more like an echo chamber than an information source.
I sold my AR-10
Old September 20, 2012, 07:46 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

The new ArmaLite AR-10A 16" carbine is 7.75lbs, so under 9lb scoped. Uses SR-25 mags (cheap Pmags) and cost about $1500 with a life time warranty.

I see used AR-10B's that use the modded M14 mags (cost $30 new) on Gunbroker in the $1200 or less area.

The ArmaLite rifles use mil-spec quality BCG's, forged uppers and lowers with true 7.62 size RE's and buffers. You don't get this with all the other manufacturers.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:56 AM   #11
RangerHAAF

I would recommend that u buy whatever feels comfortable handling. My personal preference is the Rock River LAR-8 A4. I've owned an FNAR, Armalite AR-10 A2 and a DS Arms SA-58, none of them appealed to me so I didn't keep them for long.

My deer hunting calibers are 308 Winchester and 45-70 Government.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old September 20, 2012, 12:21 PM   #12
TimW77

"I would recommend that u buy whatever feels comfortable handling. My personal preference is the Rock River LAR-8 A4."

The only AR-10 "type" rifles I would ever consider is a true AR-10 from ArmaLite or the Rock River Arms LAR-8.

The LAR-8 uses the easy to find "metric" FAL magazines or the "inch" type magazines.

I have four RRA LAR-8 rifles with barrels from 16" to 26". Each and every one shows the typical high finish and assembly quality of all Rock River Arms products.

ALL have the RRA match triggers and all are very accurate.

They have been 100% reliable except for a single failure to extract on a VERY EARLY production model in the first 5 rounds.

I would avoid the DPMS models at all costs. Since the Remington R-25 is made by DPMS, I would avoid it also.

T.