The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 7, 2011, 03:32 PM   #1
mdd

would you buy this rifle?

A neighbor of mine has a very nice remington 700 bdl 25-06 w/ a redfield 3-9x40 scope. He asked me to zero the scope for him last year & I was happy to oblige him. It is an older combo that I would guess to be mid 80's to early 90's production. When i began shooting, I quickly found out this rifle is beyond accurate. It's ridiculously precise. I put three rounds into the same hole at 100 yards w/ it.
Getting around to the point, let's fast forward a year. He stopped me on the road the other day & mentioned he'd like to sell the rifle. I indicated I would be interested in it & he priced it at $600. I know my ruger m77 values but not sure on this remington. What do you think? Only thing about it I don't like is that it has a ported barrel. It's loud as hell but it sure shoots straight.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:39 PM   #2
50 shooter

Why don't you offer him $500 cash and see if he'll take it, a quick look on GB shows the same rifle new for that price. The optics aren't that much more, so it's your decision.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
upstate81

+1 on the 500. 450 is where I'd be. Otoh does it come with ammo?
Old November 7, 2011, 04:21 PM   #4
emcon5

I think it is probably worth $600. Older Remingtons seem to have better fit and finish than newer ones, and BDLs cost a little more than ADLs.

New ones on Gunbroker look to go for ~$650, without glass, and this one is a known good shooter.

I would offer him $500, but be prepared to go up.
Old November 7, 2011, 04:24 PM   #5
jmr40

With a rifle of unknown quality that would be too much. But knowing the rifles capabilities I would pay more than usual. Wouldn't hurt to try to get him down a little.
Old November 7, 2011, 05:13 PM   #6
tobnpr

^^^X2^^^

A factory 700, one hole rifle at 100 yards is an aberration.
You didn't mention handloads, so if the rifle is driving tacks like that with factory ammo, it's well worth the asking price.
Old November 7, 2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Joe the Redneck

I would offer $500. If he can't do it, say you need to see if you can borrow a little from you rother, boss, Santa Claus, whomever. Than pay him what he askes.

Bottom line is don't let it get away.
Old November 7, 2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Picher

Pay the man and take that fabulous rifle!!!
Old November 8, 2011, 12:01 AM   #9
mdd

I was shooting reloads through it but they weren't anything specially tuned for the rifle. Its apparently just a shooter.
My qualms with this scenario are few but significant. First of all I hate the ported barrel. Secondly I love the 25-06 cartridge & because of that I already own two rifles chambered for it. Not sure about adding a third. Finally, it is wood & blued which makes it a beauty but at the same time will make me hesitant to use it. Say what you will but it is important to me to keep my rifles in very nice condition. I don't like seeing them beat up regardless of the stories that accompany the wear.
Despite all this, I'll most likely buy it because I can & because I know how well it shoots.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:44 AM   #10
ipscchef

Pay the Man!!

Offer the man $500, but like the other posters have said just get the damn gun. Although I have to disagree with the poster who said the gun is an "abberation", I have seen many 700's that shoot like surgical instruments, having one more is always a good thing. If not, let me know who this guy is!! I can always use one more proven rifle.
Old November 8, 2011, 07:05 AM   #11
CPTMurdoc30

I have shot a few 25-06 rifles and all of them shot like you say this one did. I LOVE THE 25-06. I think it is one of these best deer cartridges out there for the Lower 48. I know that myself I would have fell over and then figured out a way to get the $600 and take that wonderful rifle off his hands.
Old November 8, 2011, 10:54 AM   #12
50 shooter

I have to agree that the 700 is a shooter, I had one of the VSSF 700's in .308 and with Fed. match it shot sub MOA. A friend had the same rifle, put one of the ultimate target stocks on it and that rifle would shoot 1/4" or less groups w/o any problems. That was using Fed. ammo also, so I would imagine that hand loaded stuff would only make it better.
No time for rearranging.