The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 2, 2011, 09:55 PM   #1
bjones870

Surefire vs. Fenix vs. Streamlight

I'm in the market for a new torch (flashlight.) I'm ten between all 3, which would you get and why? My price range is 150. I'm training to be a firefighter, and this would also be a SHTF light, so this light obviously would need to take ALOT of abuse and work. So what do you recommend and why?

To be ready, mentally and physically for what ever scenario arises, provides the best sleep at night I've ever gotten.
Old September 2, 2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Crosshair

Fenix for me.

Why?

Good selection of AA and AAA lights. Flashlights that use 123 Lithium or proprietary batteries are forbidden in my house. Too expensive and availability will always be iffy when compared to AA and AAA batteries. They work great with rechargeable batteries too.

Inexpensive, you can buy 2-3 Fenix lights for $150 yet they are very durable.

My personal favorites are the L2T and the LD10. (Though the LD20 looks nice too.) The LD10 is nice because as a single AA light you don't have to worry about pairing up batteries. If you happen to find an AA of unknown charge you can pop it in and have light. (Or have dark and you know to throw the battery.) Unlike a 2AA light where you have to play musical chairs to figure out which battery is the dead one if you lack a tester.
Old September 2, 2011, 11:24 PM   #3
shootniron

Quote:
Fenix for me.
X 2 The only thing that I can say about them is...they are great.

I have been less than impressed with the performance of Surefire lights and another brand not mentioned by the OP.

Last edited by shootniron; September 4, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old September 2, 2011, 11:51 PM   #4
MEATSAW

I am a surefire fan. The X300 that I have has seen use and abuse on my 1911 and my AR and still works like the day I bought it. All of their lights are well designed and well built.
Old September 3, 2011, 07:10 AM   #5
1goodshot

Look at Malkoff best light ive found.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/
Old September 3, 2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Arizona Smithshooter

I have both a Surefire and a Fenix. Both use 123 batteries, both have a tailcap switch. The Fenix is brighter than the Surefire, plus it has a strobe function. I use the Fenix daily and keep the Surefire for backup.

If I was going to buy another one I think I would look for one that uses double A batteries because they are much more common, plus cheaper.

The downside of the Fenix lights is that the are Made in China.
Old September 3, 2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Microgunner

I own a SureFire M900A weapons light and it's magnificent but heavy. Also bought this week a Streamlight Stinger DS rechargeable. That is one nice handheld light.
Old September 3, 2011, 05:11 PM   #8
shootniron

Just an idea to share for those of you that have lights that use the 123 batteries, I buy mine for $22.00 per 12 Streamlight delivered on Amazon.

I have lights that use alkaline batteries and I do not care for them so consequently it is necessary for me to keep a few lithium batteries on hand for the 123 lights, thus the 12 pks.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-85...ef=pd_sim_sg_3

Last edited by shootniron; September 3, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old September 3, 2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Shadi Khalil

I have a Surefire G2 and I really like it. It was about $40 and works great. My gun store has Surefire brand batteries for about $5 a pair and they last forever. I should add I don't use my flashlight very often but it's always close. I'm sure the batteries could be cheaper if I ordered online but I'm buying a pair every six months and it gives me a reason to pop into my favorite store. I have no experience with the others you mentioned but it sounds like you will be doing more with your light then just throwing it in a bag. Maybe you should consider a light that uses regular batteries as heavy use could get expensive with the lithum type.

Sent via Android
Old September 3, 2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Daekar

I have Fenix, 4Sevens, and Surefire lights. They have all been efficient and reliable. However, for firefighting duty, I would carry only lights rated for that task. For fire or explosive environments, I would recommend only the Streamlight models intended specifically for such use.

For general use, I really like my 4Sevens Quark AA^2, it's a versatile and efficient light that takes 2xAA batteries. Better constructed than the Fenix lights in my experience.

For combat use, I would use nothing but a Surefire. They are engineered to be ridiculously strong and reliable, and when it counts the lithium cells will be ready - they do not discharge as much over time.

For SHTF, rechargable batteries are necessary IMHO. I use Eneloop cells, which handle high drain applications well and do not discharge. I would not bother buying a quality light like those under discussion if I didn't have quality cells to feed it.
Old September 8, 2011, 01:52 PM   #11
booker_t

My go-to is a Surefire G2. Takes 2x 123 batteries, of which I bought a case of and got a great price. I switched to this from a Pelican where the tailcap button wouldn't lock on anymore. The G2 has been through some very rough environments, 6-7 days/week for months at a stretch, and never failed me. Great battery life even with the high-output head (I think it's 120 Lumens?). Although if you're fire fighting, you might ask other fire fighters.. regarding materials, battery type, heat, and spark suppression. The last thing you want is it getting hot and leaking or exploding.

I also have two Surefire 9Ps around, which are great, but I've found they slowly drain the batteries over time (many months), even when you back the cap out all the way. Was going to contact Surefire about that issue.

Beyond that I have two MiniMags, one standard incandescent and one with the 3-LED head and push-button tailcap. They take two AAs and are solid.

Then a bunch of "other." A two D-cell incandescent, a cheap 5-LED thing, maybe another Maglite somewhere.

Just my experience. I know Fenix and a lot of the others have gotten really popular in the last few years, but I haven't spent the money for any of that. Would rather spend it on ammo and training than more kit.
Old September 8, 2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Lee McNelly

not surefire

runs thru batteries like a goose and bulbs and items too expensive

let dept pay
Old September 8, 2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Jim Watson

My emergency bedside light is a 123 Surefire LED. I do NOT like its two brightness settings off a single switch. I would rather it be just off-on at one level or have separate power and brightness controls. But it did get me out of a burning house so I feel a sentimental attachment to it.

My shooting light is a 123 Digilight (defunct company) copy of Surefire with Surefire LED conversion and only one setting.

I have a 2xAA Fenix LED that is very handy. Tailswitch for off-on, twist head for low-high, which is the way I like it.
Old September 8, 2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Skadoosh

My "about town" flashlight:

My "when the dog barks" flashlight:
Old September 11, 2011, 10:32 PM   #15
ChrisBobis

Hi!

I recently bought my Fenix, its a TA-20 however it uses these batteries called CA123A. Drugstores dont have them and radio shack had 2 for $18...I ordered some on amazon for $20 but they include 12...so...we will see how those go.

Fenix is supposedly made in China, I guess that could be a downer but most people say their great torches thats one reason I passed on the Surefire. TA-20 only cost me $85 the smaller and less bright Surefire Executive Defender was $180...