The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 25, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1
T B Good

S & W mainspring M19

I bought a used M19 and when I went shooting I had many light primer strikes. When I arrived home I found that the main spring tension screw was very loose. My question is: how tight should the tension screw be?
Old September 25, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2
oldcspsarge

It should be screwed all the way in. It is NOT intended to be a trigger pull adjustment. If the DA trigger pull is too hard, but a replacement spring kit from Brownell's designed to lighten the trigger pull but designed to still give adequate primer strike.
Old September 25, 2010, 09:15 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

The head of the screw should be flush with the frame. It should not "need" to be screwed in any further for reliable ignition. IF it does need to be screwed in further for reliable ignition, you should have the gun checked by a smith (who knows what he is doing, like a factory warranty station smith), as it could be something else (including the spring) that needs attention. It may be ok, and just need a turn more than usual on the strain screw, but having it checked by a competent pro is the safe bet. A few bucks and a little time beats the hell out of not having the gun fire when/if you really need it.

The important thing is reliable ignition, not trigger pull weight. If the pull is still to much for your tastes after you are sure everything is ok, then replacement springs, and/or a trigger job is the way to go.
Old September 25, 2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

It should be snugged down good and tight.

If it's not, firing the gun will cause it to eventually walk out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 25, 2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Sport45

I believe oldcspsarge is correct. It should be screwed in fully. Any adjustments made to the tension by a competent 'smith would be made by filing the screw to make it shorter. Loosening the screw leaves it free to loosen itself furthur in service.

Someone used to sell an "adjustable" strain screw that had serrations on the end that acted to keep it from backing out. Teddy Jacobson, maybe?
Old September 26, 2010, 02:00 AM   #6
T B Good

Thanks everyone.
Old September 26, 2010, 07:00 AM   #7
rodfac

I've never had a Smith tension screw back out...but I have re-tightened one on a M-66 that my son was having light having problems with. Re-tightening cured his light primer strikes. I'd recommend you try that first, and use some Loc-tiite on the threads as well.

If that doesn't do it, call S&W's service dept. They may replace or fix what is necessary for free.

Regards, Rodfac
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 26, 2010, 07:36 AM   #8
lmccrock

I have a Model 10 that had some ignition issues. The internals were gummed up enough that the hammer fall was impeded. Cleaning it out made it 100%. Umm..the gunsmith showing me it needed to be cleaned out......

That said, same smith said to change the spring to change the tension. The screw could be used to experiment a little, but it should not be loose.

Lee
Old September 28, 2010, 05:30 PM   #9
T B Good

I went shooting yesterday. When I went to clean today, it appears the screw backed out a little. Opinion please, do you think lock tite will hold it?
Old September 29, 2010, 07:48 AM   #10
jtmo3

Clean the screw and frame threads and use a little blue loctite.
Old September 29, 2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Sport45

Quote:
I went shooting yesterday. When I went to clean today, it appears the screw backed out a little.
Was it tight before you went shooting? It shouldn't require any type of thread locker. In fact, I normally put a little oil on it when re-assembling. If it's tight, the little bit of bolt stretch it has should hold it in place.

If you want to "lock" it and don't have the blue stuff mentioned above, a dab of clear nail polish from your wife's cabinet will do in a pinch.
Old September 29, 2010, 06:01 PM   #12
T B Good

Thanks everyone.

I can only shoot once a week right now so I don't clean till the week end, so I have to put some lock tite (I still need to but it) after I clean.
Old September 29, 2010, 06:18 PM   #13
1911rocks

Mainspring Tension Screw adjsutment

Sport45 was absolutely correct. The perscribed method 30 yrs ago per S&W was
1) remove screw
2) degrease screw and threads
3) Segrease threads in Grip Frame
4) Replace screw and tighten till it's "tight"
5) Place frame in appropriate Frame size Frame fixture
6) With a properly fitting screwdriver (Hollow Ground Blade) Place considerable tension on screw.
7) while tensioning screw, with a plactic mallet rap screwdriver handle oundly (1) time ONLY