The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 21, 2009, 06:15 PM   #26
SW1911CT

Quote:
it's better to have a gun on your hip than one to your head.
edzachary said the chinaman!
Old January 21, 2009, 06:40 PM   #27
45Marlin carbine

interesting, this fella has acting ability that Clint may should take notice of. just proves that you need every edge you can get these days.
Old January 21, 2009, 06:43 PM   #28
Larry Spencer

This video interview is undeniable proof of the value of carrying... NOT "having it handy".

Old January 21, 2009, 11:35 PM   #29
SigfanTN

Quote:
This video interview is undeniable proof of the value of carrying... NOT "having it handy".
+1

That having been said sometimes I carry at home and sometimes I just have it handy, but I don't have kids. If I had kids, I would certainly have it ON me, not near me. Children are some of the most inquisitive, resourceful and agile humans around. I would not underestimate how "handy" might be too accessible in my house for a child. As far as questions...children should receive honest answers about firearms so the taboo and curiosity is removed.

Quote:
So me dressed as Rambo in my house...grenades and .50 cal machine gun, lets throw in the bazooka in there also....is that paranoid? or you just gonna write that off as protecting my self?
#18indycolts, prepare for some flack
Up to this point you stated your opinion and that was okay since everyone gets to make that choice for themselves how secure they feel and to what lengths they will go to protect themselves. I feel the above statement is unfair, though, because you are comparing someone lawfully carrying in their own home (which is legal in the vast majority of our country) to someone who may have gone off the deep end.

You made it clear it's not your choice, but to portray someone who chooses otherwise in their own home as a maniac is just weak IMO. Does the difference of opinions bother you that much?

So, with that out of the way, what did you think of the video interview of the man's story? Keep in mind he was not at home.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:31 AM   #30
Rich Miranda

Quote:
There's nothing you can do if you don't react quickly and have something to defend yourself with.
Exactly.

If you notice the sequence in which he shot the criminals, it was perfect. One shot to the guy holding the gun. One shot to the other guy. Back to the first guy and one more for the other guy.

Some famous ancient writings come to mind also. You may have heard of the man who said this:

Quote:
"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."
Old January 22, 2009, 09:42 AM   #31
Rich Miranda

Quote:
...If I HAVE to wear my gun while I'm in MY HOUSE, then I'm moving.
#18indycolts, I am not going to flame you. I certainly understand where you are coming from. It is a SAD, and TRAGIC day when we have to carry a firearm in our homes to defend ourselves in our own home.

But here's the rub. It has ALWAYS been that way, and will continue to be that way. It doesn't matter where you live (except maybe 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.) or how safe your neighborhood is. Criminals target homes and people at home. Even more perversely, they often target homes in 'safe' neighborhoods because the homeowners likely aren't prepared for them.

Do I believe we should have the right to feel safe at home? Of course. I keep the doors locked and my SP101 on my right hip. That, coupled with vigilance, makes me feel safe.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:08 AM   #32
KCabbage

Greetings everyone,

Indy, where do you suggest I/we move? I live in a somewhat crowded city

that has shootings everyday. Even if I moved outside the city to a secluded

area with little or no neighbors I still wouldn't feel totally safe. Just months

ago a older couple that lived in the middle of nowhere were robbed and

tragically murdered by a twisted boyfriend/girlfriend couple.

Something to roll over

Take care
Old January 22, 2009, 10:26 AM   #33
jmf_stl

Lawyers

I hope this man is left alone, but I can't help but think there is a bunch of "slip and falls" salivating about getting at him. In my experience with lawyers and lawsuits I have sat in disbelief at the tactics these leeches get up to.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:46 AM   #34
vytoland

Quote:
If I HAVE to wear my gun while I'm in MY HOUSE, then I'm moving

where are you going to move.........is there a safe haven on this ball of mud that is void of trouble ............please name one
Old January 22, 2009, 11:05 AM   #35
bclark1

Quote:
So me dressed as Rambo in my house...grenades and .50 cal machine gun, lets throw in the bazooka in there also....is that paranoid? or you just gonna write that off as protecting my self?
If it's legal and you can handle it responsibly (and afford it), I'm going to try to become your new best friend, 'cause that's pretty cool. But again, you're really doing a disservice to gun owners by conceding that stereotype to those that would take our firearms away. That sort of thinking is exactly where we get killed in public opinion. Because we're all just a bunch of dumb, redneck, wannabe operators, right?

Dental student in Indianapolis always rags on Cleveland, but I never put forth the claim that I was in the green zone. I generally try to stay prepared regardless.

Quite frankly I almost think a home invasion would be more frightening than an encounter in the street because you have much more to lose and much less chance of a passerby assisting or calling the police. But I'm not saying that you should feel the same way. You attenuate your defense to suit your own tolerances. I just don't think you should criticize someone else for doing what makes them comfortable so long as they're not doing anything illegal or dangerous.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:34 AM   #36
doc540

I can see several fundamental mistakes the elderly gentleman made:

1. he spent time working in a high crime area with a large amount of cash on his person

2. he let someone see that large amount of cash on his person

3. he allowed himself to become "involved" with a stranger at his door

4. after the event he talked too much in public

Otherwise, he did a good job with the situation and, in the end, was lucky as hell he was still alive.

for instance:
1. they could've come in blazing and spraying
2. when he feigned a heart attack they could have shot him in the head instead of just hitting him on the head
Old January 22, 2009, 09:48 PM   #37
SW1911CT

That camera guy has ADD
Old January 22, 2009, 09:56 PM   #38
SW1911CT

Do you guys think you would feel the same remorse as he does? Not exactly remorse for his actions but remorse for what happened?

I mean he did a good thing. Those were obviously bad bad guys who would not have made him their last victim. He probably not only saved his and his wife's lives but others down the road as well. Isn't that something to feel kind of good about?

I guess you really have to be there and have that happen to know how he feels. I'm sure it's awful after the fact but right now I know I wouldn't hesitate to try to end a situation exactly like he did (maybe sans heart attack act!). I guess the time for feeling bad about it comes later.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:51 PM   #39
cchardwick

Quote:
where are you going to move.........is there a safe haven on this ball of mud that is void of trouble ............please name one
I know of one place that you don't have to worry about getting shot, on a spaceship floating in space LOL.

Seriously, if you stick your head in the sand and think that your home or mall or Starbucks is safe then you are fooling yourself. Read up on the statistics in your area and see how many people have been shot or killed right in their home. Once you realize how many people get hit and how often it happens you will realize that no place is safe. Sure gun-free school zones seem safe until you read about Virginia Tech. All it takes is one trigger happy guy and you'll be glad you have a gun in your wasteband.

I carry at home more and more, not all the time and not in the shower and I for sure never leave my loaded gun 'on the mantle' or anywhere else where someone can get a hold of it. That's just plain irresponsible. I would NEVER leave a gun, loaded or not, out of arms reach. They all stay in my safe or on my person.

But I carry about 50% of the time. I'm sure if I'm ever robbed or shot or worse and I don't have my gun you better believe I'll be upping the 50% stat to somewhere around 100%! The more you know and the more you read (especially on this forum) the more you will carry, I guarantee it.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:53 PM   #40
#18indycolts

quote:where are you going to move.........is there a safe haven on this ball of mud that is void of trouble ............please name one

I'm going to end this in a positive note, I value everyones opinion and their right to do what they want as long as their not hurting someone else. But my answer to the above statement is this: When I picture someone saying they have to carry at home to feel safe, I don't picture a nice neighborhood. I picture downtown LA during the riots, or some african countries where there is still civil wars going on. The reason I don't feel like I have to carry at home is because I live in a quiet neighborhood, where bullets aren't flying and thugs aren't roaming the streets...my weapons are very handy and my 2 dogs alert me to just about any noise out of place...again, if i needed to carry at home I would move because I wouldn't feel safe if I thought I had to.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:06 PM   #41
cchardwick

Dude, you better look at some stats, just found this on the Internet:

Quote:
Indianapolis was ranked as the 33rd most dangerous city in the United States in the 2008–2009 edition of CQ Press's City Crime Rankings.[18]
I sure wouldn't want to live there unarmed! Any city in the 100 or less ranking would be too dangerous for me.

Last edited by cchardwick; January 22, 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:07 PM   #42
doc540

"Do you guys think you would feel the same remorse as he does? Not exactly remorse for his actions but remorse for what happened?"

Oh, absolutely.

I'd seek professional help and counseling if I had to take a life even to protect myself or my family. To kill another human would rattle me to my core.

I don't even kill to eat, but I carry my Colt and stay proficient.

I live in a quiet, well-kept neighborhood, but it's sad that the world's come to this, random violence exists even in my little corner of Southeast Texas.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:22 PM   #43
cchardwick

I kill to eat but still killing another human being is a different story. Your killing someones son, brother, father, friend, etc. all at once. True he did something bad that deserved it and it left you no choice, but still I think that would haunt you for life. Can't say that I could really relate until I was there.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:37 PM   #44
grymster2007

You can't count on being completely safe in your home regardless where you live, but the neighborhood can make a huge difference. For the last 7 1/2 years I've lived only about 10 miles from one of my former homes. There, we we burglarized a few times (one of the thugs stole my Lorcin ), vandalized, and threatened. We had neighbors who were assaulted, maimed and killed. Felt like we lived in a prison.

Our current neighborhood is not gated, but is considered one of the most exclusive areas in the county. The only crime happening here (that I'm aware of) was the murder of a wealthy business man, shot to death about five years ago in his $5M estate. The crime has not been solved, but the DA has been investigating his daughter-in-law for years. That's it. Oh.... the Sheriff's department once shot a high speed chase suspect who pulled a gun on them on a nearby dead end road.

So... an eighteen hundred person community on the fringe of the 7 million people in the Bay Area.... two incidents in 7 1/2 years is worth every penny of the mortgage I pay, thank you.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:46 PM   #45
Rich Miranda

Quote:
...and my 2 dogs alert me to just about any noise out of place
Yes, dogs are one of the best early warning systems.
Old January 23, 2009, 08:39 AM   #46
#18indycolts

quote:Indianapolis was ranked as the 33rd most dangerous city in the United States.

I don't live in the inner city, or in a crappy area. Most cities have a few sides of the town that are nicer. Anyone familiar with indy knows that the far northside is much quiter than other areas.
Old January 23, 2009, 12:16 PM   #47
Larry Spencer

Thanks Indycolts,

It's good to know there are no home invasions or burgalries on the northside of Indianapolis!

By the way, do you rent?
Old January 23, 2009, 12:24 PM   #48
#18indycolts

i NEVER said that there wasn't burglaries on my side of the city, I DID say that it isn't the inner city and meant that there was A LOT less crime. Please sir don't assume I said something when I DIDN'T. And I don't rent.
Old January 23, 2009, 01:07 PM   #49
KCabbage

It's about being prepared, no matter where you live!
Old January 23, 2009, 01:30 PM   #50
Rocked

Quote:
If you can and want to live in a gated community that might help. Otherwise, the question is "where?"
Gated communities with a gate watchman are much safer than communities with an iron box and a scan key or pin number. The latter in my opinion only appears to be safe which could actually make the people in it less safe.

I used to have a girlfriend who lived in a unmanned gated community. The gate and driving distance was about half a mile. The easier method was to park in a parking lot next to the community and hop a fence. Then I was about 50 yards from her house. Most of the fence was iron with points on top, but near the dumpster it was all wooden fencing.

I dont know of any crimes ever commited in there, but it wouldnt be too hard.

Theres tons of ways to get into unmanned communities anyway. The easiest is just follow the person in front of you in once they open the gate. The gate has a sensor so it wont close on a car, if youre quick enough slide in behind them. I used to do this alot and no one even questioned me about it.

Plus the automatic gates break alot. I regularly go to about 3 different communities to visit friends and family and the gates are broken Id say 40% of the time. At each one. Not very safe.