The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2008, 11:38 PM   #1
actionflies

Benchrest help

I am testing my 9mm pistol reloads and I cannot get any accuracy from using an mtm benchrest and have resorted to shooting offhand. Any tip on benchresting a pistol?
Old July 24, 2008, 12:23 AM   #2
joneb

I do most of my load testing off the tail gate with stool and a backpack for a rest. This may sound a bit like a Redneck way of doing it but.... I've shot less than 1" groups from a S&W mod. 10 w/a 6" barrel and 1.5" groups from my S&W 696 and Ruger Security Six 2.75" at 20 yrds. Once you are confident with a load the rest won't matter much as long as you are in "The Zone". For me this requires a clam day with no distractions and most important a proper mental state.
Old July 24, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3
SL1

Actionflies,

Try resting the "dust cover" section of the frame (area just ahead of the trigger guard) on a relatively soft surface (like a sandbag) with the butt of the gun on another soft surface and your arms (between wrists and elbows) on bags, as well. If you delete anything, make it the bag under the grip.

Focus on front sight. If you have old eyes, glasses made to focus at that distance help A LOT.

SL1