The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2007, 05:50 PM   #1
DMF38

FCD and .30-.30

Hello everyone. I just started reloading last summer, and I have a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. I've been reloading .45 Colt without a problem, and I've just started reloading .30-.30. I got the Lee Deluxe Die set for .30-.30, with the Factory Crimp Die. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to put a solid enough crimp on the cartridges. I'm shooting the ammo out of a Winchester 94, and when I load a few into the magazine the bullets push back into the case. I've adjusted the FCD to put the maximum crimp on it, but it's not tight enough. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any advice?

-Ben Franklin
Old January 14, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
cheygriz

Your sizing die may be defective. That is a very common problem with Lee dies.
Old January 15, 2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Superhornet

It sounds to me that you are using the Collet die instead of the Full Length resizing die........If you are using the Collet die, it has to be adjusted down to properly do the neck..Lee dies are no better or no worse than any other die. I have loaded thousands of rounds of 30-30 using Lee dies and the FCD.
Old January 15, 2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Peter M. Eick

As a 30/30 loader, it is possible that you are over crimping with the FCD. If you really "whale" on it, you can create a cannelure in bullet with the fcd but the brass will spring back and be loose.

My suggestion is first load up a round with out the fcd and then see how tight it is. That will tell you how much neck tension you have. Then use your FCD and see if it helps or hurts the situation.
Old January 15, 2007, 06:40 PM   #5
DMF38

Thanks guys. I think I might have solved the problem. Last night I took out the FCD and gave it an inspection. It looked like there was some crud in between the leafs of the collet in the FCD, so I cleaned it out good and it seems to be crimping correctly now. After I reloaded several cartridges I pushed on the bullets with my thumb and they didn't budge. I loaded 6 into my Win 94 magazine and none of the bullets pushed back, so I think it'll be ok now. I'll fire them this weekend and see how it goes, but I can see that the crimps are more solid now. And last night I full-length resized them too and that seems to help. I think I'll be doing that from now on.

-Ben Franklin