The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2006, 07:50 PM   #1
mathman

1100 O-Ring?

I have fired approximately 1000 rounds through my Remington 1100 Competition Master (mostly full power slugs and buckshot). Is it possible that I need to replace the O-Ring already...I am getting some cycling problems. The gun will shoot and eject, but not bring forward the next shell.

Any thoughts?
Old December 22, 2006, 12:26 AM   #2
hoghunting

Does the O-ring look like it has thinned in places? The O-rings usually last a long time. Have you cleaned the gas ports in the barrel as they might be carboned up?
Old December 22, 2006, 12:34 AM   #3
mathman

Yes, I have cleaned the gas ports, but perhaps not good enough...what is the best way to clean the ports?
Old December 22, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4
9mmMike

I just use a pipe-cleaner on mine. I would also check that the outside of the mag tube (piston) is not gummed up with lube or carbon. That area should be clean and dry for proper function.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 22, 2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Ruger4570

Your problem sounds like more of a cleaning issue than anything else. The "O" rings generally last a very long time and as the gun fires and ejects ok I doubt the ring is the issue or even a gas port issue. The magazine tube gets pretty dirty on an 1100 and requires periodic cleaning to allow the action to both open and close. I would bet that if you take the gun down and clean it well, you would not have a problem. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check the bolt return spring, just in case it somehow got damaged too. We had a young lady that used to shoot Skeet with our league. She had an 1100 too and one time on line it just didn't function in either direction. We got off line and hosed the mag tube down with some CLP and toweled the worst of the crud off. The gun worked just fine after that. Good luck with it.
Old December 22, 2006, 02:29 PM   #6
mathman

Thanks for the replies...I just 'cleaned the heck out of it.' We'll see the next time I take her out.
Old December 22, 2006, 04:13 PM   #7
AustinMike

I shoot an 1100 in competition (USPSA 3-gun) and I replace the o-ring about every other match. They are dirt cheap here. It's cheap insurance that the gun will run when I need it to.
Old December 22, 2006, 04:29 PM   #8
kudu

You may check your magazine spring and tube on the inside for any crud build-up. I have seen the insides get a bit rough and it puts just enough friction on the follower to make it hesitate when it tries to reload a new shell into the receiver.
Old December 22, 2006, 06:36 PM   #9
dale taylor

I bought my 1100 1964 at Camp Lejuene. Aways had O rings with me. Replaced after a failure or ~1000 rounds. Most skeet rounds. Great gun. [email protected]
Old December 22, 2006, 07:25 PM   #10
threegun

Did you add a side saddle to the gun recently? I had an 11-87 that wouldn't feed the next shell it would just stay in the gate. Turned out to be my side saddle was to tight.
Old December 22, 2006, 08:02 PM   #11
mathman

Nope, no side saddle. I'll bet it's a combination of how dirty it was plus maybe a new O-Ring will help. I think I'm gonna order some of those that AustinMike suggested...thanks .
Old December 22, 2006, 08:59 PM   #12
AustinMike

Clean it up, oil it real good, pop in a new o-ring and I bet you'll be good to go. BTW, I started using FP-10 oil on all my guns. It doesn't seem to gall up like other oils I've tried and it keeps the 1100's tube nice and slick.
Old December 23, 2006, 04:00 AM   #13
mathman

Already cleaned it and put CLP on it...and I ordered some of those O-Rings...we'll see how she runs.