The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 28, 2005, 02:48 AM   #26
LAK

Para Bellum,

Get a Steyr Scout if you can afford it. It is as close to the ideal GPR there is.

Get a 30-30 Marlin or Winchester to keep in your trunk too
Old January 28, 2005, 04:03 PM   #27
too many choices!?

ar pistol/carbine is the best option for the situation/ranges talked about

With a red dot scope it can't be beat......remember only hits count and misses cause collateral damage...The ar is the great compromise rifle/caliber as is shown by its police use....Maybe add a forward grip to the pistol and have a great two handed point and fire gun.......
Old January 29, 2005, 09:24 AM   #28
Nanuk

Dwight and Edward, I agree
Old January 29, 2005, 10:21 AM   #29
Shamus

My truck gun is a Marlin 30-30. But I think the first thing I'd reach for would be my cell phone.
Old January 29, 2005, 11:59 AM   #30
Edward429451

My reasoning on the intermediate rifle is also why I wont carry mouse gun pistols, except maybe as a third! I mean, if a situation deteriorates to the point to where you actually have to draw a weapon...Why play games? Its serious business. I think people sometimes delude themselves with the rationale of I probably wont need it anyway so a 32'll be ok. They see the potential need to carry but talk themselves into a lighter gun cause their lazy?

"I might need a hammer on the job I'm going to...give me your smallest one just in case?"!!! Hmmm.

Face it. The country/world is in an auful state. Things are bad. Can it be expected to get better? I think not. It's going to get worse.

JMO.
Old January 30, 2005, 07:53 PM   #31
Double Naught Spy

2002gti said,
Quote:
how often do you find yourself coming home guns a blazing? the answer is never so the .22 would be more than enough in my book
I just love comments like this. If the answer is 'never' as suggested, then a well placed fart will do the trick, whatever that is. The problem is not how many times you have needed to come home with guns blazing in the past, 2002gti, but for in the future. Whether it be passing gas, a .22 lr, or .50 bmg, you don't get to fight battles from the past over again. Your logic would hold that if you have never been in a gun fight previously, then you never will. While possible, it is not a reasonable assumption to make if you are interested in keeping yourself safe.

I find it amazing how many people are surprised by being robbed in good neighborhoods where nothing ever goes wrong, until it does.
Old February 1, 2005, 03:29 PM   #32
Para Bellum

Beretta Strom

Any suggestions on the Beretta Storm?
Old February 2, 2005, 07:19 AM   #33
haskell

What if? you seek professional help
Old February 5, 2005, 02:08 AM   #34
CB3

Parabellum Storm

The new Beretta Storm Cx4 in your favorite caliber (9MM, .40 S&W, or soon in .45 ACP, but let me guess what you would prefer . . . ) would make a fine, quick handling and accurate gun to use from your car to protect your homeland. With the accessory rails you can add some excellent features to set this gun up just as you need it. Light, short, sweeeet.

CB3
Old February 7, 2005, 06:28 AM   #35
Para Bellum

russian double barrel shotgun

unexpectedly my father in law presented me with russian (!?) double barreled shotgun yesterday. At least - it fits into my trunk.
Old February 8, 2005, 05:30 PM   #36
guntotin_fool

I understand your choice was made for you, several years ago my Father in law came home to a strange truck and horse trailer in his driveway and got very concerned. He coasted his truck across the drive way and blocked it and then took the keys and ran to a neighbors and got them to call the sheriff and borrowed a gun. As he was running back to his house he realized that the truck and trailer were pulling up the drive and almost to his truck he charged the truck pointing that shotgun and screaming like a madman right at ME!!!! I was his daughters new fiance and had gotten a new truck and he almost shot me for dropping off three horses at the farm.

Becareful at what you think you see when you come home to something new. Just think if that person you see coming out of the house is your kid or family member who found a way to breakin.
Old February 9, 2005, 04:43 AM   #37
Para Bellum

just an excuse...

....you were lucky eh!? As I said before: I just need an exuse to finally buy a long gun....
Old February 9, 2005, 02:32 PM   #38
SpectreBlofeld

Defense at 20 yards...

Defense at 20 yards? If you're speaking in generalities, it doesn't matter what gun you have. Whip out your teeny tiny Kel-Tec P3AT. Fire a warning shot into the air.

A man with burglary on his mind will get the hell out of there, fast.

Now, maybe you're not speaking in generalities. Maybe there's a reason why a determined person would want to approach you even after your obvious display of armament. If that's the case, I seriously doubt he would be walking across open field without taking cover. I also doubt he would be without some sort of long gun. I'd also be worried, if I were you.

If, for some reason, the above scenario is taking place, I'd expect there to be more than one of the opposition.

That said...

I'd go with a Saiga shotgun (automatic shotgun built on the AK action) or a military-style repeating rifle (AK-47, AR-15, etc). Everyone has their preferences. I dig the AKs myself.

At the very least, pick up a Mossberg 500 (7+1 shells of buckshot) or a decent carbine. Kel-Tec makes a nice, folding 9mm/.40 carbine that can fold in half and fit in a standard briefcase, which can be bought in several variants that accept S&W, Glock, or Beretta magazines, which means you can swap mags with a pistol.
Old February 11, 2005, 04:46 PM   #39
Para Bellum

warning shot into the air?! INTO THE GROUND PLEASE

Hi SpectreBlofeld ,

thanks for your input, but be advised that bullets come down as deadly as they went up. Hundreds of innocent bystanders get hurt or killed in the arab world every year where shooting into the air is a habbit in moments of joy.

So if there's a warning shot to be fired, please fire it into the ground or another safe direction. A handgun has a range of 4Km (3 miles)....
Old February 11, 2005, 05:40 PM   #40
WaltherP99

I know some states will not allow a long gun to be carried in a vehicle loaded! I am pretty sure it is that way in PA. I just sent for my CCW so the laws are fresh in my mind.

IMHO, I would have to go with the shotgun.
Old February 13, 2005, 04:48 PM   #41
Karaya1

I have an old mil-surp as a trunk gun and i think it is ideal for whatever situation i need it for. I am proficiant with it out to about 550 yards and i am confident in my abilities in short distances too.
I feel confident with my p228 for any distances within 50 yards, so that base is covered too.

I leave the AR at home because i just don't feel comfortable leaving a rifle that is worth more than my car in my car. Hah.
Old March 5, 2005, 02:45 PM   #42
Para Bellum

I guess I've found it:

Hi there,

this interesting rifle (below) caught my attention. Do any of you have experience with it? Seems like a good all-around defense rifle to me...

Remington 7615P Pump Action Patrol Rifle

Model 7615P Patrol Rifle
Action Pump/Short
Caliber 223 Rem - 5.56mm
Avg. Weight 7 lbs.
BBL Length 16 1/2 inches
Sights Wilson Combat Ghost Ring (Rear) - XS (Front)
Standard Twist 9 inches
Mag. Cap. 10*
Order Number 6488

* Accepts M16/AR15 magazines
Old March 5, 2005, 03:06 PM   #43
Hard Ball

For your scenario the AR15 type .223 is by far the best choice, In the real world you cannot be certain what the range will be, The .223 is effective from 300 yards to muzzle contact. Supplement it with a US Army web belt with two triple magazine pouches and install a low power scope or red dot site. That combination will see you through most emergencies far better than any of your other possible choices.
Old March 5, 2005, 04:04 PM   #44
Az Qkr

I would consider a 30-30 lever gun for go anywhere, anytime in the truck.

Shorter barrel, shorter dolllars and easy to use.

Robin Brown
Old March 5, 2005, 04:34 PM   #45
Bullrock

I own a Winchester SX2. I carry it in the trunk of my car to places where I intend to shoot it, otherwise it stays inside for home protection in partnership with my PT-92. Do you really worry about stuff like that, or are you just making up situations to post?
Old March 6, 2005, 02:25 PM   #46
Maxprime

It's not wise to shoot people in the back as they're running away. An AR is the best defense rifle IMO - you can get lots of cheap ammo to become surgical with it as well as plenty of accessories to help you out. But I would use it if I heard something stirring outside my house and I lived on a huge plot of land.
Walther P22
Armalite M4
Old March 7, 2005, 11:12 AM   #47
markdido

Quote:
I don't have a trunk on my F-100, but I do have an SKS often behind the seat. Cheap enough that its loss would make me cry, but very effective.
I just bought an el cheapo Wally World "back window" gun rack for my Ranger.

The gun rack is for my fishin' poles. This way I can carry my SKS behind the seats.

Not a whole lot of room behind the seats in a Ranger
Old March 7, 2005, 07:35 PM   #48
thegunsofNevada

I dont know your skill level, but I would recomend aginst a shotgun. They can be very messy if you dont know what your doing, and having to put holes into something while not putting holes into everything isnt a shotguns job, unless your using slugs. That presents problems, too. Not to mention that shotguns are low capacity weapons...The most rounds ive ever seen is 16, and thats a stretch.

And, speaking in broad terms, shotguns are not effective at long to medium range.

My advice would be with something compact, semiauto, and with range and power. Something like a civvie version of a FN-FAL or HK G3A4K if your big, or perhaps a .223 if your not so big or compatent.
Old March 7, 2005, 10:42 PM   #49
chris in va

Here you go. I would love to have this in .40 with a red dot. HiPoint makes one too, but doesn't fold.

http://www.kel-tec.com/prod03.htm