The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2002, 11:41 AM   #1
mike killian

Ruger Mark 1

I haven't shot my Ruger in a year or so and decided to take it up to the cabin to let my son practice on. I took it all apart and cleaned it first (just to make sure it was ready for a workout).
We got up to the cabin and as i was getting familiar with my new HK I noticed my son trying to clear jam after jam. I suggested he try not using hollow points to see if that would help the feed problem but it didn't. I have owned this pistol for about 30 years and never had a problem with it. Any ideas on why it would suddenly stop feeding correctly?

NRA LIFER
MCRGO
CPL HOLDER

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset
Old April 23, 2002, 02:29 PM   #2
zot

after 30 years I wonder if ramp is worn, extractor worn, firing pin spring worn and getting in the way of chambering,you could send it to Ruger and probably get a allmost new gun back. 30 years!
they'd have to respect that!
Old April 23, 2002, 04:56 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

When sumpin suddenly quits workin, I look back to what was changed. In your case, it was stripped and cleaned. Try takin it down again......look for any strangers, back together and test it.

Sam
Old April 23, 2002, 05:15 PM   #4
Unkel Gilbey

What kind of jams?

What kind of jams were happening?

Were they stovepipes? Double feeds? Were they not chambering all the way? Another thing to consider is some sort of dirt/obstruction in the magazine.

I recently had a problem with my Mk II where it stopped feeding rounds. The rounds would get stripped off the magazine all right, but would only go about halfway into the chamber. It took breaking the pistol down parade rest before I was able to figure out what the problem was.

Turns out I had a case break in half with the forward part staying in the chamber. Damned if I know how it occured, but after this happened, it wouldn't chamber a round. I found that my one piece 30 caliber cleaning rod was just wide enough to push the left over piece out of the chamber, and everything has been peachy since.

I just can't imagine what would make a casing break in half like that. Old ammo perhaps?

Something to think about.

Gilbey-san
Old April 23, 2002, 07:45 PM   #5
mike killian

Mark 1

CR I asked myself the same question ....What changed? I took it apart, checked it out and then reassembled it.....no change.

Unkel G. The round gets about half way in and seems to jam on an angle with the bolt not able to close all the way.

I think I may contact Ruger and see if they will take a look at it.

NRA LIFER
MCRGO
CPL HOLDER

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset
Old April 23, 2002, 09:33 PM   #6
Unkel Gilbey

Startin' to sound familiar...

Mike,

This sounds disturbingly close to the problem that I was having. I remember looking into the chamber while the pistol was still all together and thinking that everything was coposetic in there.

It wasn't until I tore the pistol down and shined a light into the chamber that I was able to actually see the brassy color of the bit of shell casing that was left behind.

But then again, if you can hand feed a shell into the chamber, then I don't think this would be your problem.

Best to check before you ship her off.

And good luck!

Gilbey-san