The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 30, 2002, 04:34 PM   #1
Sisco

Pitted Bolt

I've got a 98 Muser bolt thats got a lot of pitting. It's blued right now but I was hoping to eventually get it jewelled. Is there any way to remove the pitting or should I have a new bolt fitted?
Would really like to keep the old one since the handle's already been re-worked.
Old April 30, 2002, 07:31 PM   #2
Badger Arms

A gunsmith should be able to slightly turn down the diameter of the bolt or carefully polish out the pits. It depends on where the pits are and how deep they are.
Old May 1, 2002, 08:06 AM   #3
Clemson

Pitting on the Mauser bolt face is fairly common. Pitting on the bolt body is not common. Normally, if the bolt body is pitted, the receiver of the gun is also corroded to the extent that it is unserviceable. Where is the pitting on your bolt?

I would not turn down a bolt body. Shaving .008 from the bolt face and shortening the firing pin is possible if the pitting is on the bolt face, however. This can be done if you are fitting a new barrel or requalifying the existing one. Otherwise you will increase the headspace too much.

If the bolt body is pitted too much to polish out with normal polishing wheels, it is time for a new bolt. Headspace MUST be checked and reset if necessary when you replace the bolt.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old May 1, 2002, 10:00 AM   #4
Sisco

The pitting is on the body & extractor, not real deep just unattractive. The bolt face & reciever look good.