The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Panfisher

Well it was bound to happen.

Put the last of my range pick up .223/5.56 into thewet tumbler last night, went back to the house and forgot about them. Remembered them this morning, 9 hours after they went in. Result clean shiny brass. The soap didn't last, but honestly couldn't tell any difference in the result between 2 hours and nine. I normally change the water out after an hour and for all intents they are cleaned ought then to go into loading use.
Old February 16, 2015, 10:40 AM   #2
BoogieMan

Do you use ss pins for tumbling? Any deformation of the cases? Do you deprime and resize prior to tumbling?
I have prepped all my 06 cases ready to re prime and then load. They are going into a walnut shells in a vibratory tumbler to polish them up before priming,powder,bullet.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 16, 2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Jeff2131

Im interested in this as well. I bought an 18 "wet" tumbler from harbor.frieght a while back but i just use walnut shell in it.and use it for bulk loads. Can i use SS pins and water or just SS pins?
Old February 16, 2015, 11:17 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

Use the pins wet, a bit of Dawn and 1/2 teaspoon of Lemshine. The case's will come out looking factory new.
Old February 16, 2015, 11:42 AM   #5
the led farmer

Well it was bound to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
... Any deformation of the cases? Do you deprime and resize prior to tumbling...

No deformation of the cases, just clean shiny brass

I resize and deprime before tumbling it saves you from tumbling twice and will clean the crud from the primer pockets if that's important to you. You can also use citric acid instead of lemishine (found in the canning section) it's a bit cheaper and is the same thing.

FWIW there is absolutely no good reason to clean your brass other than cosmetic reasons. That being said I like cosmetically pretty brass so go figure
Old February 16, 2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Panfisher

I deprive with a Lee universal depriming die, run them past a Lyman primer pocket reamer to remove the primer crimp. Then into the Harbor freight dual tumbler With dawn, lemishine and 2 lbs of SS pins. I replaced the little irritating canisters it came with and made two new canisters out of 4 inch PVC pipe, with 2 Oates 4 inch compression cap/plugs. Then had to replace the giant wing nuts with 3/8 he nuts. Have to play with the length a ltitle to get it right to fit. I can measure mine if needed. One canister willhandle 200 .223 cases, the other will handle 100 cases, and that is the one I use mostly. I really like shiny clean cases so after they get dried, resized and trimmed they get a ride in the old Lyman 600 to remove the case lube and get a final polish helped along with a dab of nu-finish. Then all shiny and clean they go into zip lock bags of 100 each and stored in 50 cal ammo cans. Obviously for non range pick up non mil stuff a few steps can be eliminated. Am going to try tumbling some old bullets with the HF rotary tumbler and dry media, tried them in the Lyman but they justfall to the bottom and stay, hopefully the rotary action will work better.
Old February 16, 2015, 12:44 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

Deprime like Panfisher says, clean cases resize much eaysier than the dirty oxidized ones.
Old February 16, 2015, 02:01 PM   #8
TheFineLine

I plug my tumbler into an outdoor Christmas lights timer. Set it and forget it. That's in dry media though.
Old February 16, 2015, 03:12 PM   #9
Panfisher

Timer is a good idea. Never worried about dry tumbling though. Have run it for 3 or 4 days before. No problems but sure was SHINY! that's a hazard of having it in a different building I guess.