The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 19, 2022, 04:44 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Henry 44mag big boy problems

Have not had a chance to contact henry yet. Got a big boy 44 mag, steel side gate 20in barrel.

I recently added a scope and a hammer extension.

After adding the hammer extension i was having hammer rebound. After firing the hammer would reset back to cocked. I was also having light strike issues. Rounds would all fire with a 2nd strike. Maybe 1 out of 5 was a light strike.

The hammer extension removed itself today. Hit me in the face during firing. Only had 2 light strikes in 50rnds after that. Hammer did not reset itself after that either.

Other issue is with 44mag loads the lever is unlocking a little. Just past the detent. Is this normal or acceptable behavior?

Last edited by Shadow9mm; July 19, 2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old July 19, 2022, 05:44 PM   #2
stinkeypete

Your hammer extension is sending you a message- it wants to be removed!
Henry, in all fairness, probably won’t deal with your hammer issues if you’ve changed the mass by adding parts not engineered and tested by them.

If at all possible, just set the hammer extension in your small parts bin in a baggie labeled with a sharpie. I’ve lost count of the little parts I run across years later and have no clue as to what they are for.

Light strikes are unacceptable. Let’s see if Henry lives up to their service reputation!

Out of curiously, this is what kind of factory ammo? Have you tried another brand? Hand loads and check the primer seat depth?

As for the lever unlatching a bit, that can be a “stout load” thing. My Rossi .454 Casull would open about 1/4 of a stroke with heavy full-house loads, begging to cycle and do it again.

My shoulder, cheek, and sinuses were of the opposite camp saying “please no! Ow!”

When I ran lighter loads, the lever stayed locked. Try some .44 special level loads, I bet it’s fine.

I wouldn’t accept light strikes resulting in failure to fire at all.

The lever? Ask Henry. If it doesn’t bother them it would not bother me.
Old July 19, 2022, 06:47 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

may have solved the light strike issue. Was cleaning the rifle, pulled the lever and bolt. firing pin felt kinda cruddy, like it was bound up a little. got a little oil in there and it seems like its moving freely. hopefully no clicks next outing. had light strikes with both winchester and cci primers in hand loads. i always make sure to fully seat the primers. i did pick up a box of factory ammo for my next outing. will see how she does.
Old July 19, 2022, 10:14 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

was your hammer extension steel or Aluminum??

I've used the "flat wing" type aluminum ones on several Marlins over the years, never had any issues.

Can't say about Henry's, never owned any.

If your lever gun is unlocking with FACTORY loads, you've got issues the FACTORY needs to fix.

If it's unlocking with your handloads, BACK OFF! Doesn't matter what any load manual says it should handle, if the gun is unlocking ON ITS OWN, you load is TOO HOT. The gun is telling you that.
And what the gun in your hands tells you trumps every book or Utube video ever done.

All guns are not equal. Even in the same calibers.
Old July 20, 2022, 04:16 AM   #5
stagpanther

Is this shooting your home-brew subsonic 44 special lead bullets--or a stout 44 mag load?
Old July 20, 2022, 01:17 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Is this shooting your home-brew subsonic 44 special lead bullets--or a stout 44 mag load?
Stout 44s
Old July 20, 2022, 01:20 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
was your hammer extension steel or Aluminum??

I've used the "flat wing" type aluminum ones on several Marlins over the years, never had any issues.

Can't say about Henry's, never owned any.

If your lever gun is unlocking with FACTORY loads, you've got issues the FACTORY needs to fix.

If it's unlocking with your handloads, BACK OFF! Doesn't matter what any load manual says it should handle, if the gun is unlocking ON ITS OWN, you load is TOO HOT. The gun is telling you that.
And what the gun in your hands tells you trumps every book or Utube video ever done.

All guns are not equal. Even in the same calibers.
Steel as best i can tell. Tightened the set screws hard too.

Its unlocking with my hand loads. They are magnums, but bekow max. Picked up a box of factory 44mag for my next outing to see how it behaves.
Old July 20, 2022, 03:48 PM   #8
Scorch

Gee, imagine that. Problems with a Henry. I've had a number of customers over the years switch out their old Marlins and Winchesters for Henrys, and a few months later the shiny new Henrys are on the used gun rack. Nope, none for me, thanks.

As far as your light strike problems, sounds like your hammer extension was too heavy and possibly touching the frame. As far as unlocking when fired, that's why you hang onto the grip tightly, but I would still contact Henry over it.

And as far as contacting the forums before you contacted the manufacturer, don't. That's just foolishness. Your "friends" on the internet can't fix your problems, but the manufacturer can, and they should get first shot at fixing any issues that come up. Now, if they don't or won't, then take it to the forums.
Old July 20, 2022, 06:38 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Gee, imagine that. Problems with a Henry. I've had a number of customers over the years switch out their old Marlins and Winchesters for Henrys, and a few months later the shiny new Henrys are on the used gun rack. Nope, none for me, thanks.

As far as your light strike problems, sounds like your hammer extension was too heavy and possibly touching the frame. As far as unlocking when fired, that's why you hang onto the grip tightly, but I would still contact Henry over it.

And as far as contacting the forums before you contacted the manufacturer, don't. That's just foolishness. Your "friends" on the internet can't fix your problems, but the manufacturer can, and they should get first shot at fixing any issues that come up. Now, if they don't or won't, then take it to the forums.
Well i did contact henry. But it was after hours and i was waiting on a call back.

Got that call back today. They said it should not hsve been light striking even with the hanmer extension. Also said the lever should not unlock even if your not holding onto it.

They said to send ot in and they will fix it under warranty. Gonna take care of that next off days
Old July 21, 2022, 12:55 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Steel as best i can tell. Tightened the set screws hard too.
A simple magnet will tell you if its steel, or not. I never had any issues with needing to tighten the screws "hard". Firm, yes, but "hard" can be "too hard" very easily, especially when its steel screws in aluminum threads...

Quote:
Its unlocking with my hand loads. They are magnums, but bekow max.
No, they're below LISTED max on someone list. If your gun is unlocking on its own, then WHATEVER ammo is doing that is above "max" for the gun in the condition it is currently in.

Quote:
I disagree that discussing problems on the forum is foolishness. Expecting all your problems to be fixed by someone on the internet is foolishness, but discussing what is going on to evaluate it is not. Many, many times I've seen situations where some advice from a forum member did cure someone's problem. Especially when its something small, and an operator error. Things like "did you check X??" or "don't do that, do this, instead..." have helped lots of people.

The down side is information overload, and many "helpful" people on the web simply don't know what they are talking about....so one needs to evaluate "free" advice carefully. The factory should always be the prime choice when professional work is needed, figuring out if it is needed is something discussion can help with.
Old July 21, 2022, 01:52 PM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
If your gun is unlocking on its own, then WHATEVER ammo is doing that is above "max" for the gun in the condition it is currently in.
Not necessarily--some people may "limp grip" the foreend on a lever gun and let the muzzle jump enough they might inadvertently let the lever unlock. Happened to a friend once... cough cough.
Old July 21, 2022, 04:17 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

I put improper use/operation (including incorrect grip) under "the condition the rifle is in when fired".

But you are right, that condition would not be the result of an overpressure load, just "operator error".
Old July 21, 2022, 05:16 PM   #13
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
A simple magnet will tell you if its steel, or not. I never had any issues with needing to tighten the screws "hard". Firm, yes, but "hard" can be "too hard" very easily, especially when its steel screws in aluminum threads...

No, they're below LISTED max on someone list. If your gun is unlocking on its own, then WHATEVER ammo is doing that is above "max" for the gun in the condition it is currently in.

I disagree that discussing problems on the forum is foolishness. Expecting all your problems to be fixed by someone on the internet is foolishness, but discussing what is going on to evaluate it is not. Many, many times I've seen situations where some advice from a forum member did cure someone's problem. Especially when its something small, and an operator error. Things like "did you check X??" or "don't do that, do this, instead..." have helped lots of people.

The down side is information overload, and many "helpful" people on the web simply don't know what they are talking about....so one needs to evaluate "free" advice carefully. The factory should always be the prime choice when professional work is needed, figuring out if it is needed is something discussion can help with.
It was also unlocking with factory ammo. Fiocchi 240g soft point 44 mags.
Old July 21, 2022, 06:36 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It was also unlocking with factory ammo. Fiocchi 240g soft point 44 mags.
Definitely time for a trip back to the factory then.