The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 21, 2022, 02:02 AM   #76
Metal god

Quote:
As I understand it (and its entirely possible I am in error) it is some of the new, additional requirements, that are being challenged, and those are what is being put on hold by the judges "stay" ruling.
The judges ruling has been stayed by the second circuit and the new law is in full effect until the second circuit here's the states appeal on the Fed judges original ruling which he stayed for 3 business days . It is back to the status quo which was only that way since Sep 1st 2022. There is currently another request for preliminary injunction at the district level but as far as I can tell the new law is back in effect at this time do to the 2nd circuits ruling .

Maybe repealing the old law or what ever was done or not done was done on purpose . Knowing that would mean if the new law was challenged and a preliminary injunction imposed there would be no other law to revert back to ? Leaving the state to be able to argue if the new law can't be enforced there would be no laws regulating concealed carry in the state .

This is where I got the info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNgumFysKdM

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 21, 2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old October 21, 2022, 05:49 AM   #77
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Maybe repealing the old law or what ever was done or not done was done on purpose
It could be. This is a nervy time for gun-control advocates. The 9th Circuit (yes, the 9th Circuit) just sent Bonta back to the district court for re-review under Bruen, a judge in West Virginia just ruled that penalties for removing serial numbers was unconstitutional, and the 4th Circuit ruled that the 21-year age limit on handguns didn't pass muster.

There are hysterical editorials on some political sites about this being "the end of sensible gun laws." So state and local legislatures are going to push to see just what they can get away with.

Bruen changed quite a few things, but it also means a lot of testing the boundaries. And we're going to have to fight tons of potentially unconstitutional regulations. It's easier for them to pass a law and let it get challenged, knowing we're the ones who have to spend the time, effort, and money challenging it.
Old October 21, 2022, 06:36 AM   #78
ViperJon

I think that his will go to the NY Appeals court and they will agree with Judge Suddaby that many aspects of the CCIA are unconstitutional. The training will stay but the other provisions Suddaby noted are gone. The reason is the Appeals court knows that if they rule in favor of New York it will probably get fast tracked to SCOTUS and they will eviscerate the NY law far worse that just letting Judge Suddaby's ruling stand. Then the myriad of lawsuits against NYS will start to chip away at the some of the more onerous aspects of the CCIA. Another hope is that Governor Hochul gets defeated by Zeldin which was a virtual impossibility previously but he has closed the gap and it's almost a tossup now.
Old October 21, 2022, 11:50 AM   #79
44 AMP
Staff

The report currently is that Fed Judge John Sinatra Jr. has blocked the "no guns in places of worship" provision, while allow the rest to stand, until both sides argue in court, scheduled for Nov 3 according to the internet news...

I'm gonna need more popcorn for this,,,,
Old October 21, 2022, 02:29 PM   #80
Metal god

Quote:
The 9th Circuit (yes, the 9th Circuit) just sent Bonta back to the district court for re-review under Bruen
The 9th has recently vacated 3 or 4 cases and sent them back down to include an assault weapons ban case , mag ban case and another I can't think of off the top of my head . The rumor is the 9th is just delaying because 2 of the cases they had already ruled on ( not in our favor ) and can simply apply Bruan them selves . However they have chosen to punt them back to the district level resulting in another year+ of litigation and appeals .

If you want to see where at least one state is going as far as arguments now that Bruan is out , See the CA assault weapons ban case and the states most recent brief .

See post #23
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...58#post6928858

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 7, 2022, 08:36 PM   #81
mikejonestkd

Judge Suddaby blocked a majority of the NYS law today.
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...aled-carry-law
Old November 7, 2022, 10:29 PM   #82
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I skimmed through the NY decision. Most of it is well-reasoned. However, I disagree with the judge's discussion of the 18-hour training requirement. He says the reason for the historical requirement for militias to muster was to prevent militia members who weren't competent with a firearm from having one.

Which, of course, is nonsense. In those days, as he cited in his own discussion, the laws in colonial times required militia members to provide their own rifle. The weekly, bi-monthly, or monthly musters weren't limited to firearms training, and probably never even touched on it. Back then, it was assumed that every man who owned a rifle knew how to shoot it. That's how they put food on the table. The purpose of the musters was for training in military maneuvers -- learning to fight together as a coherent unit rather than as a rag-tag bunch of farmers.
Jeepaholic
Old November 8, 2022, 06:24 AM   #83
ViperJon

https://thereload.com/latest-new-yor...itutional-too/