The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 1, 2018, 09:56 PM   #1
skeetman02

Not sure if what I want to build is legal

I have a lovely hi point 995ts, which is a 9mm carbine and is legally a rifle that I want to modify. I can't find a definitive answer on whether or not it is legal to cut the barrel down and shorten the stock down to a stub, as short as it can go without affecting the gun mechanically. Since I'm assuming it legally is no longer a stock that this would be considered a handgun(?). So what I'm trying to figure out is if this is a SBR, or if its illegal completely, because I've read somewhere you can't turn a rifle into a pistol. would appreciate any help.
Old September 1, 2018, 11:14 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
skeetman02 I have a lovely hi point 995ts, which is a 9mm carbine and is legally a rifle that I want to modify. I can't find a definitive answer on whether or not it is legal to cut the barrel down and shorten the stock down to a stub,
Perfectly legal if you file a Form 1 as the maker if an NFA firearm. What you describe is a Short Barreled Rifle.

Quote:
as short as it can go without affecting the gun mechanically. Since I'm assuming it legally is no longer a stock that this would be considered a handgun(?). So what I'm trying to figure out is if this is a SBR, or if its illegal completely, because I've read somewhere you can't turn a rifle into a pistol. would appreciate any help.
You wouldn't be making a pistol, but an NFA SBR.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whic...ated-under-nfa
Quote:
Which firearms are regulated under the NFA?

(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;

(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;

(5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);

(6) a machinegun;

(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and

(8) a destructive device.

[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11]

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 2, 2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Sharkbite

As above.

If it started as a rifle, you can not shorten below legal rifle limits unless you NFA the gun.

If it started as a pistol, you can go as long as you want, as long as there is never a barrel shorter then 16” AND a stock installed at the same time.
Old September 2, 2018, 07:43 PM   #4
luger fan

The stamp will cost you $200.
Old September 4, 2018, 09:24 AM   #5
Nanuk

https://extarusa.com/ep9.htm

Why not this?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.