The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 12, 2018, 01:18 PM   #1
WheelGunRealGun

Colt 6920 Reliability Round Count Reports?

I'm curious how reliable everyone's Colt LE6920 has been for them. Specifically, how many rounds fired and how many stoppages?

I've just gone over 2000 rounds with mine and it hasn't had a problem yet. Reading on the internet has still made me insecure about the reliability of a carbine length gas system vs a mid length (this has been going on in my head for months). Specifically, whether my 6920 carbine length gas can be trusted with my life and that of my family's.

Is 2000+ rounds without a stoppage normal for a 6920? Would one experience less stoppages as a rule with a mid length vs a carbine? If so, how much difference would there be? (This is assuming regular preventative parts replacement and cleaning intervals for both. As in, not running them till something breaks or gets too gunked up to work.)
Old November 12, 2018, 01:34 PM   #2
bfoosh006

Bear in mind many USGI issued carbine length gas systems have been GTG for quite some time.... Even given Uncle Sugars care and the potential knuckleheads firing them ( we have all seen that one guy... ) ... Lol

While a Middie has its advantages... a CLGS does flat out work, provided even moderately proper care.

I certainly wouldn't worry over it.... especially since it has been flawless for 2K rds.

Feed it reliable ammo, from reliable mags, with a decent service / cleaning schedule using an appropriate lube ( I would be more concerned over the lube performance in the cold then the gas system length... try your 10/22 with its regular lube in the cold.. you'll see.... talk about sluggish cyclic action.. )
Old November 12, 2018, 04:12 PM   #3
sevt_chevelle

My 6920 has 3-4K on it, not one single issue. Maintain the rifle and it won't have issues.
Old November 13, 2018, 06:32 AM   #4
Ibmikey

I have a 6920 and a couple of 6720 Carbines that have gone through great piles of ammo. I do not wait for a stoppage because they just don’t do that sort of thing, I won’t say they are the most reliable in my rack but I will say malfunctions with any of my AR’s is a very rare occurrence, but I have only forty of the rifles to compare the Colt’s to.
Old November 13, 2018, 11:12 AM   #5
P-990

Less reading on the Internet, more shooting! ;-)

My 6920 has over 4000 rounds at this point. The ONLY issue I've had was with one piece of reloaded brass with an over-swaged primer pocket. The primer fell out and there was a CLICK instead of a BANG. Not the rifle's fault. Otherwise no failures to feed, fire, extract or eject in those 4000 rounds, through a major mish-mash of 20 and 30 round magazines.

And while I'm not proud to admit it, I don't exactly treat my 6920 with kid gloves or keep it white-glove inspection clean. As long as it's lubed sufficiently it'll work just fine. I like 10W40 engine oil for lubing the bolt carrier group, but anything that stays on the BCG will probably be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old November 13, 2018, 12:44 PM   #6
spacemanspiff

I don't shoot my current 6920 like I did my previous Colt 6721. Used to be my weekly routine to pour up to 500 rounds downrange.

In the last year I've taken my rifle out maybe 5 or 6 times. Each trip I fire off about 200 rounds. I've had this 6920 about 3 or 4 years, probably have 2 or 3 thousand rounds thru her, no stoppages.
Old November 13, 2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
Reading on the internet has still made me insecure about the reliability of a carbine length gas system vs a mid length (this has been going on in my head for months). Specifically, whether my 6920 carbine length gas can be trusted with my life and that of my family's.
Really?

Carbine-length gas systems, even paired with 16" barrels, worked reliably for decades before the introduction of mid-length gas systems.

There is no scientific evidence I've seen showing a difference in reliability between a 16"-barreled AR with a carbine-length gas system versus a 16"-barreled AR with a midlength gas system. The longer dwell-time of 16"-barreled AR with a carbine-length gas system may manifest itself with slightly harsher recoil (we're still talking 5.56x45mm here, though), but the rifle will still be reliable, provided it's a quality build, which the 6920 is.

People buy 6920s for a reason, and that's Colt's higher level of QC/QA versus many other brands.
Old November 13, 2018, 02:02 PM   #8
WheelGunRealGun

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/14...d-performance/

So far, this is the only government-backed evidence I’ve seen of it, but a few things about this seem odd. Even the MRBS for the carbine in ambient temps is really pathetic, and I know the Army has done testing that surpassed that.

However, the report by Crane does give me pause, because no matter how you slice it the mid length showed to be more reliable.

There’s Army tests with M855 that had over 3500 MRBS. I’m seeing a lot of conflicting numbers.

Here on Slide 10 is where it shows over 3500MRBS with the M4 using M855: https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovc...apons_NDIA.pdf

And then somewhere else I see where PEO Soldier officials said special forces were getting about 1600 MRBS with M855A1 out of M4A1's. I'm not sure what to believe.

Last edited by WheelGunRealGun; November 13, 2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old November 15, 2018, 09:40 AM   #9
ndking1126

I think you are asking one of two questions, but not completely sure.

1. At 2,000 rounds with no issues, has my rifle proven to be reliable enough to use as SD?

or

2. At what round count should I consider this rifle to be too close to the end of it's life and therefore no longer rely on it as a SD gun?

Clearly the rifle has proven itself to be reliable. Keep using good ammo, maintain it properly and you've got nothing to worry about. If you do have an issue, its more likely going to be the fault of the magazine, not the gun.

In my 7 years on Active Duty Army, I always had an M4 with a carbine gas length and never had issues unless it was the magazine. This includes 120* deserts down to easily below freezing. I have zero concerns with using a carbine gas length over of a mid length.
Old November 15, 2018, 01:45 PM   #10
bfoosh006

BTW... this is the link for the whole test.

https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazo...1527866983.pdf

And in it you will note the clod testing... Lots more malfunctions.

Yes a Middie is more "reliable"... but your carbine isn't horrible.
Old November 15, 2018, 01:55 PM   #11
WheelGunRealGun

Quote:
I think you are asking one of two questions, but not completely sure.

1. At 2,000 rounds with no issues, has my rifle proven to be reliable enough to use as SD?

or

2. At what round count should I consider this rifle to be too close to the end of it's life and therefore no longer rely on it as a SD gun?
The first one is correct. Just not sure if that 2k rounds without stoppages is normal for a carbine gas system or not. From what people are saying, it is.

Quote:
BTW... this is the link for the whole test.

https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazo...1527866983.pdf

And in it you will note the clod testing... Lots more malfunctions.

Yes a Middie is more "reliable"... but your carbine isn't horrible.
What's clod testing?

If the mid length is indeed more "reliable", maybe I should consider rebarreling mine with a FN CHF Mid Length barrel, since this is a home defense carbine that I may have to stake my life on. Any thoughts on this? Would I have to use a different front sight block?

Then again, people like ndking have been using carbine gas systems on duty and in combat for a very long time and felt totally comfortable trusting their lives to it, whereas midlength hasn't been vetted by combat much yet. If it's good enough for them, maybe I should just accept it as good enough for me.
Old November 15, 2018, 04:20 PM   #12
ndking1126

Quote:
The first one is correct
Thank you for the clarification - in my first post that was my assumption, so I don't see the need to change what I said. In my opinion, your rifle has more than proven itself worthy of your confidence.

So much crap floats around on the internet... look for facts (like the study foosh posted) and don't under-value your own personal experiences.

Also, am I missing how many weapons of each length they used? I don't see it. If it was 1 mid and 1 carbine, that doesn't seem like a big enough sampling to determine if the gas length system is what caused the differences. It could have been something that wasn't exactly right in that particular rifle.

Last edited by ndking1126; November 15, 2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old November 15, 2018, 09:19 PM   #13
WheelGunRealGun

Quote:
Also, am I missing how many weapons of each length they used? I don't see it. If it was 1 mid and 1 carbine, that doesn't seem like a big enough sampling to determine if the gas length system is what caused the differences. It could have been something that wasn't exactly right in that particular rifle.
Wondering the same thing. I don't see that specified either. I also think it's strange that they used all CHF barrels. Seems like they should use a button cut barrel to eliminate variables and make CHF barrel testing a completely separate test.

Quote:
So much crap floats around on the internet... look for facts (like the study foosh posted) and don't under-value your own personal experiences.
Thanks. Some keep saying that money should be no object when it comes to a rifle that may have to defend one's family, these are often people with KACs.

Quote:
If you are looking for cosmetic perfections or the latest/greatest gizmo, you can buy it and put it on yourself, but the COLT 6920 is a fine AR, built to the original TDP for the AR and have proven to be reliable beyond any shadow of a doubt.
Part of what drew me to the 6920 was how bare-bones it was. I don't like a lot of stuff on my rifle, I like the USGI M4 look, and I haven't come around to MLOCK yet. If anything I'd just get it a RAS and an Aimpoint and be done with it.

It seems like a lot of what makes ARs like KACs expensive is additions like the URX rail and other doodads, which don't enhance the reliability of the rifle. I don't doubt that the E3 bolt system it uses is more durable in the long term, but I prefer to be able to slap any mil-spec bolt in my rifle and it work without damaging the extension. And with how cheap mil-spec BCGs are, I can always have several on hand to replace well before one wears to the point of breaking.

ETA: I've been considering the LMT enhanced BCG for a while now. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Last edited by WheelGunRealGun; November 15, 2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old November 16, 2018, 11:08 AM   #14
arlaunch

Parts life and reliability does get affected with increased port pressure. Some of this can be mitigated with proper maintenance.

Oiling your bolt and then storing your rifle stock down in a warm environment will likely lead to all of your oil draining into your buffer tube. For a rifle that does not do much shooting consider Brownells action magic 2. This stuff is perfect for storing your rifle long term. It will be ready to fire anytime and WILL have enough lube to cycle reliably.

Folks who think buffer springs and gas rings will, and should last forever will learn they don't when they get some experience. Change em!

Magazines should be cleaned from time to time so ammo stays clean. At a minimum you should clean your chamber in between firings. Even if you don't clean the rifle.

Keep up on your lube no matter how you do it. Keep your chamber clean and change springs to CS.

The Tubbs buffer springs are awesome. As are others with similar concepts

Any clean and tested magazine with a magpul follower coupled with a CS spring will serve you well. They will not "take set"

The main difference between gas tube lengths is TIME. When you pull the trigger the case expands to fill the chamber. It literally, for a fraction of a second welds itself to the chamber walls.

Results can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer regarding gas port size. Reliability issues arise when when so much gas hits the BCG so fast, and so strong, it rips the case that is still tight against the chamber walls out. (if it can) The malfunction begins when it can't. This can have a lot to do with the smoothness of the chamber from the factory. Or.. the cleanliness of the chamber from the end user.

If you can find a means of attaching emory cloth to an electric drill you can polish it yourself. Be careful. A little goes a long way. Don't touch the lands either. Stop at the case shoulder part. Which you will feel as a rise inside.

The shorter the barrel the bigger the gas port needs to be. That is why SBR's are so hard on things. They have less gas dwell time and need more volume. And need that volume in less time. Where rifles like my 24 inch varminter are WAY over gassed. But because gas dwell time is to much.

Factor in lighter bullets with slower powder burn rates and you get a bad combination as well.

The best combo is the 20 inch rifle version shooting the correct burn rate of powder for the bullet weight. Faster burning powders are for the most part burnt and pressure on the decrease (still high) as the bullet passes the gas port. This is ideal. Slow powders can still be going up the burn curve passing a carbine length gas tube. (higher port pressure and stronger pull on a case that is not ready for the extraction and ejection cycle yet)

The mid length is the better design than a carbine length for 16 inch barrels. Especially if you can get the gas block pinned from the factory.

Carbines with carbine length gas systems with the ideal gas port diameter drilled in, maintained like a high end vehicle and fired with reliable ammo can, and will work so well you can trust your life to it.

All rifles are prone to failures. Knowing how to recover in a timely manner and under stress from a malfunction will help you more than the latest and greatest design.

Military folks trust their lives to a SBR's with cans on them every day. A 16 carbine from Colt unsuppressed sitting in a good safe neighborhood is a WAY ON more reliable.

Problems can begin the second you pull back on the charging handle. The Colt factory trigger is the worst for shooting tight groups.... Yet the most reliable.

Last edited by arlaunch; November 18, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old November 16, 2018, 05:09 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

Shoot your carbine until it fails and then replace it with the latest and greatest at that time. There are so many iterations of the AR15 now that it is difficult to make comparisons. Your LE6920 may be more reliable than some midlengths. If you use the exact URG upper specifiedby the Army, that will be more reliable and last longer.

Having said that, even with heavy SOCOM style firing schedules involving full-auto and suppressor use, your rifle is good for 7-10k rounds easy. Most people will never get close to that round count, let alone the heavier firing schedule that shortens life span so much.

As for reliability, 6920s have gone for 2000 rounds without a stoppage after they had been completely stripped of lubrication and then deliberately not lubricated. If you just keep the bolt wet with CLP at all times and don’t use a suppressor, your barrel will likely go before you need to clean it.
Old November 16, 2018, 09:16 PM   #16
WheelGunRealGun

Quote:
Shoot your carbine until it fails and then replace it with the latest and greatest at that time. There are so many iterations of the AR15 now that it is difficult to make comparisons. Your LE6920 may be more reliable than some midlengths. If you use the exact URG upper specifiedby the Army, that will be more reliable and last longer.
I've been looking for the Geissele Colt Clone URGI upper, actually. It's backordered on Brownells. Wish I would've ordered it before that. Only thing I don't care for on it is the MLOK handguard. I've always been partial to the old 1913 rail.
Old November 19, 2018, 08:08 AM   #17
Ibmikey

I do not count the rounds that I fire and go by the empty brass I process for reloading after I accumulate a few thousand. I have a 6720 that takes most of the punishment yet I can put it along my other 6720 or 6920 with lesser counts and there is no appreciable difference in accuracy or reliability. One of my clones sports a 14 1/2” barrel CHF that came from PSA and that poor little Carbine has had the barrel hot so many times that it looks like a forest fire under the hand guard and it like the others just does not quit functioning. Cleaning is hap hazzard at best but everything is kept well oiled with Mobil one and absent a FTF from ammunition stoppages do not occur. Magazines are P mags and work 100% all the time.
Old November 21, 2018, 07:19 PM   #18
Tomas

I have 3000+ in mine with no issues. I did go to an H2 buffer (though I can't remember why) and replaced the extractor spring before I even fired it...I have lots of steel, and just want the piece of mind it'll extract after a high round count session when I shoot the cheap stuff.
Old November 24, 2018, 10:49 AM   #19
Willie Lowman

I fired nearly 2000 rounds over the course of 3 days in a Costa class with my 6920. I changed to a H2 buffer and a SSA trigger. I was firing Wolf Gold .223 FMJ ammmo.

I experienced no stoppages. I cleaned and lubed the rifle every night. Every day I ran the rifle hard till the forend was to hot to touch. Durring this time I saw Daniel Defense and Noveske rifles stop while my Colt still worked. Not for one second do I think this had to do with manufacturer or the length of the gas tube, rather it had to do with ammo selection and lack of proper maintenance.

I have owned mid length gas ARs. I currently do not. I don't worry about the reliability of my carbine gassed guns because I know I take care of them. They will take care of me.
Old November 28, 2018, 09:14 AM   #20
ilmonster

Google "filthy 14" to see how long a properly lubricated AR can go, with little to no cleaning.