The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Screwball

Shotgun Finishes

Have two guns I’m looking at refinishing...

First one is my TAC-14. I hate the black oxide finish that came on it. Just rubs off, so rather something a little tougher. I have two shotguns (870 Police and Ithaca 37) that I had redone by Robar in NP3 Plus. Kind of siding with that, but might go something darker.

Second one will be an 870 that I’m probably buying in the next month or two. Looking for either one of those 18” pistol grip only shotguns... with the +2 installed or an old L/E gun (18” preferably, with similar extension). Either would likely be picked up at a gun show, so I might be able to look at a few surplus shotguns to get the best one for my need. I’m looking to toss a Remington factory folding stock on it, just for an extra shotgun (possible truck gun). Figuring either I have the same crappy black oxide finish or an abused 870 Police that I’d want to clean up. Unsure how the factory folder is taken down, but would prefer to have the metal done, as well.

Obviously, NP3 Plus is in the running. But wanted to see a few other options. I wouldn’t mind Parkerizing, as long it is from a shop that does good work. Don’t want a spray-on finish, so no DuraKote. Want something that will hold up somewhat well, and reduce rust as good as possible.

Thanks.
Old January 1, 2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Virginian

Parkerizing is designed to hold oil and thereby prevent rust. It is rather expensive to put on, requiring metal prep similar to bluing. It is not self healing like galvanizing. For the money, I have not found anything I like better than the Robar products. Actually, from my salt marsh hunting days, I like a good coating with an automotive zinc chromate primer and a flat or gloss black topcoat. Very easy to patch as well.
Old January 2, 2018, 06:01 AM   #3
DubC-Hicks

Check out Robar's Roguard or Poly-T2 finishes. Might be what you're looking for.

Cerakote is also much better than Duracoat for a sprayed on finish. I have a few Cerakoted guns and am impressed.
Old January 2, 2018, 01:10 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...Just rubs off..." Indicates it's not either applied correctly or it's not black phosphate.
Parkerizing, "black oxide" and black phosphating are the same thing using different chemicals.
Black phosphating/"black oxide" is what's found on current and military firearms from the mid 50's onwards. My 870's barrel is phosphated. No issues. No issues with my .243 hunting rifle I had phosphated by a local metal finishing shop nearly 40 years ago either.
Parkerizing is a brand name for the finish used on U.S. W.W. II firearms. Comes out in shades of grey depending on the metal it goes on, when it's zinc based. Black, when it's manganese based. M1 Rifles should be black.
None of 'em will just rub off.
"...factory folding stock..." Don't. Looks great in a movie, but nearly totally useless in reality. Not as bad as a pistol grip only but close.
"...from a shop that does good work..." Look in your local Yellow Pages under metal finishers. Talk to 'em first too. You really need a gun guy who'll know what you're talking about. When you send any firearm, all the springs must be out(a metal finisher probably won't do it and it'll cost more) and you send only the parts you want finished. Don't forget the screws.
Old January 2, 2018, 08:53 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The ultimate would be a hard chrome finish done in the original satin gray.
Some platers can also plate the inside of the barrel and chamber.

If you keep a coat of a good rust preventing product like CLP Breakfree on parkerizing, it's a pretty durable finish.
Top refinishers like APW/Cogan and others offer top of the line parkerizing, often in the original gray and the more durable black type.

You could also look at having the gun nitride treated.
Old January 3, 2018, 10:10 PM   #6
Screwball

Shotgun Finishes

I have Cerakote on my FDE AR... and while it is nice, I really don’t have the time on the gun to have an opinion on it. DuraKote is a definite no, mainly from other people’s guns I’ve seen it on (especially the long haul).

I do have to ask... what is the difference between Poly-T2 and Roguard? There is a good description between Roguard and NP3 in their FAQ, but reading the Poly-T2 description... all I got is that it is similar to a non-stick pan (PTFE). Between the two, which would be tougher? The difference between doing all NP3 Plus and Roguard/Poly-T2 is $40... so it is kind of hard to not put the extra money in and go NP3 Plus on the whole thing. Even Parkerizing on the exterior is saving $70 compared to complete NP3 Plus... which I feel is worth the difference to stick with NP3 Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...Just rubs off..." Indicates it's not either applied correctly or it's not black phosphate.

Parkerizing, "black oxide" and black phosphating are the same thing using different chemicals.

Black phosphating/"black oxide" is what's found on current and military firearms from the mid 50's onwards. My 870's barrel is phosphated. No issues. No issues with my .243 hunting rifle I had phosphated by a local metal finishing shop nearly 40 years ago either.

Parkerizing is a brand name for the finish used on U.S. W.W. II firearms. Comes out in shades of grey depending on the metal it goes on, when it's zinc based. Black, when it's manganese based. M1 Rifles should be black.

None of 'em will just rub off.

"...factory folding stock..." Don't. Looks great in a movie, but nearly totally useless in reality. Not as bad as a pistol grip only but close.

"...from a shop that does good work..." Look in your local Yellow Pages under metal finishers. Talk to 'em first too. You really need a gun guy who'll know what you're talking about. When you send any firearm, all the springs must be out(a metal finisher probably won't do it and it'll cost more) and you send only the parts you want finished. Don't forget the screws.

I figure it is black oxide because that is what Remington has on their website of the finish on the TAC-14... Working the action prior to firing it and post cleaning, I had black come off the bolt when I swiped my finger along it. Whether it is applied wrong, or not black oxide... still in the same boat. Not going to send it back to Remington, being I want something better. Not to mention there are quite a few non-stock parts that will be on it (barrel, extension, sidesaddle, etc).

I am also familiar with Parkerizing, as my 870 Police originally had it (NP3 Plus, now), my DGR M1903 was done in it, as was my Garand that Shuff redid. I’m tossing that into the mix because it is a decent finish for at least the second 870 I’m planning. It is not going to be a hard use shotgun.

I want to do the folder for my own desire. I’ve read plenty of opinions on them, so thank you for your warning. However, I’m looking to put an 870 together with that stock. I already have two home defense shotguns; 870 Police with Magpul furniture and Ithaca 37.

In regards to local shops, it isn’t really an option in NJ. Most non-gun places won’t do it, and if I’m leaving a shotgun to be refinished, either they would have to be an FFL or I’d have to do a CoE and transfer it to the person doing the work (they would need a FID, as well).

I’ve also sent firearms into Robar and CCR multiple times. Only refinishing shop that would require the firearm completely stripped was Shuff... if it was one he wasn’t familiar with (considered a Winchester 1897, which I opted not to do). Looking for places that will do disassembly/reassembly, so prefer an actual firearms refinisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfariswheel View Post
You could also look at having the gun nitride treated.

Any recommendations?
Old January 3, 2018, 10:27 PM   #7
DubC-Hicks

I'd love some recommendations on nitriding as well. My 870 express tactical needs refinishing too. I'd choose nitride over Robar's stuff if possible.
Old January 4, 2018, 02:15 AM   #8
Bill DeShivs

Club Custom Guns does nitriding.
Metalife does industrial hard chrome.
The teflon finish is soft and can peel.