The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Lavid2002

I think I have a good idea for reloading! :D

OK.....heres my theory. I'm pretty stoked on this, I was just hangin out thinking about reloading.

Problem: Sometimes when I load .223 the powder fails to enter the casing. I obviously cannot see that the powder hasn't entered the casing and when I move it from the charging tube powder goes everywhere.

Also, Casings have to be individually brought up to the charging tube to be filled.

Solution: Affix a rubber tube to the powder scale, and add a small funnel at the end. Now you can sit with the reloading tray in your lap, and WATCH the powder charge go individually into the casing, also....you can move the tube from casing to casing to fill them, expediating the process.

Ill draw a diagram on paint if anyone needs a visual aid, I think this is a pretty good idea..how about you? Maybe I could even patent it if no one has come up with it or something.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Shoney

It sounds like you are either using flake or extruded powders, and they are "bridging" to prevent the powder from entering the case (sorry, but casings are used as a receptical into which you stuff sausage).

Not meaning to rain on your parade, but there are simpler fixes:

1. Use a powder funnel under the measure/over the case. You can see the powder as it enters the case, and it rarely will ever spill.

2. Use ball powders. They do not bridge.

3. Thump each case with your fingers every time before removing the case.

1. & 2. are my choices. Your tube method will work to a degree, except when static builds due to weather, and the sides of the tube will collect powder.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 1, 2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

A rigid form of the tube you describe may be purchased in clear plastic. It is called a powder drop tube and is normally used to pack the powder a little tighter. Midway and Sinclair have them, among other sources, and they are available for various measures or to extend the mouth of a loading funnel (the Midway kit). They are not flexible because you don't want powder entering with different degrees of drop and packing from one case to the next. That could make ignition inconsistencies resulting in increased velocity extreme spread. It also makes it difficult to look into the charged cases to see that the powder levels match, because they won't, even with same total weight. Some will be fluffier than others.

With the drop tube, you move the loading tray under the bottom of it to charge each case. You can see the powder fall through the tube.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 1, 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old March 1, 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
amamnn

I like the one in the MTM universal funnel kit. http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...ng/reload.html
Old March 1, 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
VaFisher

I would have to go along with Shoney on this but if it works for and you like the method please feel free to keep up the good work.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Lavid2002

why doesnt lee make the plastic drop tube on their powder charge throwers clear? You could see when a charge has "bridged"
I dont really feel like switching powders, it happens maybe once for every 100 casings so im not that worried about it.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:18 PM   #7
DiscoRacing

Also with Shoney... i have the same problems at times.... and do just as he suggested at times.... use funnel.... and tap with finger... using 26grains of 4064 will fill all to the top of the case... compressed load fer sure.. works good for me... using 34 grain bullets tho... light light.... dont take much to penetrate paper
Old March 2, 2009, 12:55 AM   #8
totalloser

Thanks for sharing your idea!
Old March 3, 2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Lavid2002

Tubing is cheap, Ill go down to ace and see what I can toss together. If it works ill post up some pix. If it doesn't....its only 60 Cents :P (OR 3-4 .223 cartridges from a reloaders POV)