The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2009, 02:33 PM   #1
JoeSmo

Shot my first reloads - Now the Qs

OK, decided to only make a few rounds to try this out, and now I have some questions. I loaded about 100 45acp rounds using Red Dot, 4.7gr in 50, 5.0gr in the other 50. Remington Primers

Here are the q's:

1) I had 2 of the 4.7gr loads not fire. Primer was dimpled in like all others. What typically causes this? Is this typical? I used my puller and there was indeed powder in those rounds.

2) Do I need to somehow "kill" the primers in these rounds before I deprimer them? Someone told me to spray some of my KROIL penetrating oil inside and let soak as the oil will kill the primer..is this what should be done?

Observations: I only shot 14 rounds of each. (one test, the a filed mag)First the 4.7gr then the 5.0gr. Noticable difference in the push back into my hand. I did not shoot for accuracy do have no observations there, I was just nervous about shooting my first loads.
Old February 27, 2009, 04:18 PM   #2
ryalred

I have found that failing to seat the primer deep enough is the most common cause for it not to discharge. The face of the primer should be slightly below the surface of the case, not even with it. A lot of new reloaders are afraid to seat the primers as deeply as they should be. After awhile, you'll learn the "feel" of the primer seating properly.

Sometimes, attempting to fire the cartridge a second time, will result in it firing as the first strike of the firing pin will seat the primer deeper and then it will fire on the second attempt.

I usually simply deprime the unfired primer. I've never had one go off. I do wear safety glasses just in case.
reloading -- addicted
Old February 27, 2009, 04:36 PM   #3
tjhands

What he said. ^^

Deprime the bad ones as you would any other, but just do it more slowly and wear glasses. (I even admit to turning my face away as I do it. LOL)
Old February 27, 2009, 05:42 PM   #4
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day JoeSmo, I've just read a thread highlighting a danger ALL re-loaders must be careful of. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=341348 Up until this mishap, he had never had this happen. Will he ever make the same mistakes again? I don't think so. I suppose the point I am trying to make is that we hear various warnings and we make up our own mind what to do. I am only new to reloading myself. I think if I had a primer that failed to go off, I would try it a second time. If it still failed I would 'pull' the bullet, empty out the powder, then 'cook' the case (primer) on a stove top until it goes bang.
Be safe
Old February 27, 2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Tex S

Quote:
If it still failed I would 'pull' the bullet, empty out the powder, then 'cook' the case (primer) on a stove top until it goes bang.
No offense Skull, but that sounds like a really bad idea.

Just deprime as if the primer were already spent. Carefully, of course.
Old February 27, 2009, 07:42 PM   #6
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day Tex S, I'm not offended at all. This is what I feel is the safest for ME. I would much rather have a detonation in a controlled environment while I am at a safe distance/location. I don't like the idea of a faulty primer (possibly) going off within arms reach.
Old February 27, 2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Tex S

to each his own
Old February 27, 2009, 09:56 PM   #8
tjhands

Quote:
If it still failed I would 'pull' the bullet, empty out the powder, then 'cook' the case (primer) on a stove top until it goes bang.
Cook it on the stove! LOL, I must say I never have heard of that before. Why not just pitch it in the trash and save yourself the fuss?

Good Lord, I bet it's hot and sticky as hell down in QLD right about now, eh? I lived in Cairns for a while and remember the heat. And the Sheilas on the Esplanade. Most of them were hot enough to cook off a primer or two!
Old February 28, 2009, 07:53 PM   #9
warnerwh

Just use your resizing die. If it makes you feel better WD40 will kill primers.
Old February 28, 2009, 08:59 PM   #10
orionengnr

Probably a stupid question, but why not re-chamber the now essentially "blank" cartridge (primer only) and drop the hammer on that case?

Primer goes bang in a very controlled manner, extract, eject, deprime and continue on...

Am I missing something?
Old March 1, 2009, 02:24 AM   #11
HiBC

I'll see if I can add to the party.
If anyone does cook off the primer,I hope they crush and toss the case as the head would be annealed.A non-ramped 1911 does not support the case well back there,bad idea to soften it.

I will agree,it could be high primers.

I also wonder about your crimping.The case mouth rests on the deep edge of the chamber.This is the HEADSPACE of the cartridge.It holds the case back and it is a critical dimension for a number of reasons.This is the anvil the cartridge rests on to recieve the firing pin strike.Improper crimping can muck this up.Review that chapter in the manual.
I suggest you get a taper crimp die.When you set your seating die,only screw it in the press far enough to remove the bell,then taper crimp in a second operation.Some manuals will give an ideal outside dimension over the case mouth dia for a crimp spec to hit.Laser cast says .470 for a 45 ACP taper crimp with their bullets

Thumbing the hammer back for a second strike is fine,but please remember,a case without powder can seem like a nothing happened,but the primer will push the bullet into the bore.If you get a click,unless you are in a firefight,DO NOT rack the slide back and try to shoot again.If that bullet is in the bore,the gun will be destroyed.You may get hurt.Stop,clear,and make sure you have an empty chamber,then make sure the barrel is clear.If you use a pencil you can keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
Good luck