The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1
MDS

Lyman tumbler users

I was looking at the Lyman Turbo 1200. It doesn't have a solid lid. I thought the dust from tumbling was bad?
Old February 28, 2009, 11:51 PM   #2
odsixer

I could be wrong but I think mine has a strainer(ventilated) lid as well as a solid clear plastic lid.

And yes I would say the dust is not good. I don't get much dust out of mine at all but I still tumble in the garage, not in the house.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Jim Thompson

Tip for case tumblers

To cut down on that dust, use a any brand of used kleen free dryer sheet in with your media. It will cut down alot on dust. Always use a fan to blow that stuff away especially when your pouring the stuff out. Try not to breath that stuff into your lungs.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Doby45

Just got mine recently and it does not come with a clear lid. It does come with the vented lid and I have had no problems at all with dust. I cut up a used dryer sheet and place it in and run a 50/50 mix of walnut and corn and to top it off a capful of Nu-Finish. Mine runs in the garage for approx 2hrs and then I have uber clean and shiney brass.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Cloudpeak

I've used dryer sheets and it helped but I think spraying some "End Dust" on the media while the tumbler is on and before adding brass works a bit better.

Cloudpeak
Old March 1, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6
MDS

Ok, I was under the impression that it was pretty bad. I use dryer sheets now in mine. How do you like that model Doby45? Thanks, guys
Old March 1, 2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Doby45

MDS, I like it just fine. It is quiet, holds a good number of shells and does not take too long to run a batch.

Cloudpeak, the End Dust sounds great but I get the used dryer sheets for "FREE" and it makes the wife happy. You should have seen me "wrangling" up loose used dryer sheets in the washroom. The wife thought I was being super sweet and cleaning up all those that had fallen on the floor. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old March 1, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8
billcarey

I don't use a vibrator type but couldn't you just cover the top of the lid with aluminum foil and wrap the edges so it stays put? Why do they vent the lids anyway?
Old March 1, 2009, 12:49 PM   #9
onehitwonder

my 1200 auto flo's come with a solid lid.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:01 PM   #10
Cloudpeak

Dolby, I, too, am very helpful around the house and "clean up" the used dryer sheets. Actually, my wife saves them for me

My Lyman came with the "vented" lid. It comes in handy for shaking out the media into another container. I shake as much out with side to side and fore and aft motion with the lid screwed on and the tumbler upside down. I then unscrew the lid, put a large kitchen strainer in the "catch bucket" and pour the brass into the strainer. I then place the Lyman vented lid over the strainer, turn upside down and shake the rest of the media out of the cases. When I then dump the brass into my "brass box" I have very, very little media in the mix.

Cloudpeak
Old March 1, 2009, 01:43 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Anything damp will tend to collect dust. You have to be careful about it, though. Every once in a while you see a post from someone who put liquid polish in the tumbler only to find his cases packed with corncob that won't come out. The corncob has gone into the cases before finishing absorbing and swelling from the moisture, then swollen enough while inside to lock itself into the case. It can be recovered by baking the cases in an oven at its lowest setting (150 degrees or so; you don't want enough heat to anneal case heads), but I recommend you add liquid and vibrate at least half an hour before adding brass to avoid the problem.

My Lyman is over 20 years old. I converted it to the Auto-flo bowls for media separation long ago. The top is solid, so I have no dust issue until the separating starts. I have a small shop vac that is part of my sandblasting cabinet that I use to capture the dust during separating. It seems to work well held an inch or two above the spout.

There is really nothing magic about the lids. You can get a piece of Plexiglass cut to a disc shape and drill the center to make a flat transparent solid lid for the top.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 1, 2009, 04:44 PM   #12
PCJim

My Lyman Turbo 1200 set came with two bowls, slotted lid and clear solid lid. the slotted lid is used, as stated before, as a media separator. In use, the slotted lid is placed over the bowl, then the clear lid placed over the slotted lid. I do not have dust problems.

Expanding on what Unclenick said, you could probably cut/shape a Frisbee for use.
Old March 1, 2009, 04:56 PM   #13
DiscoRacing

i have lyman... use it all the time.. dont have it in the house either tho.. didnt think the dust was too bad... probably depends on what media you use
Old March 3, 2009, 01:39 AM   #14
73-Captain

Lyman 1200 Sifter Lid

If you want to EASILY convert the Lyman "Sifter Lid" into a solid lid.

Place the "Sifter Lid" in a "Zip-Lock" type freezer bag and seal it.

Place the Lid on the Tumbler and push the "threaded rod" on the bowl through both sides of the freeser bag and fasten the lid down normally.

This modification will also reduce noise.

C.
Old March 3, 2009, 02:38 AM   #15
butta9999

No dust to talk about, mine has waulnut shell media. A little dust gathers on top of the lid.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:18 PM   #16
MDS

I did an experiment over the weekend. I took my lid off my current tumbler, put a paper towel over the top and rubber band it down. After I ran it for a couple of hours, I removed the paper towel, looked at the side covering the bowl. It was very clean.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:17 PM   #17
ForneyRider

Mine has vented lid.

I run mine in garage with Flitz, but I come inside when its running. So I don't sweat any

I use the lid to dump the shells on and then shake out the corn cob media.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:19 PM   #18
Dr. Strangelove

Lyman Turbo Pro 1200

I use the same tumbler, with crushed walnut media, no additives. I get quite a bit of dust that way, so I use it on the carport. Since it's outside, I'll often plug it in, go to bed, then go to work the next day, finally remembering it's running the next evening. Makes for some bright, clean brass and I don't have to fool with additives. The excessive run times don't seem to have much with the amount of dust produced, as even a couple of hours run time produces about the same amount. I've started using dryer sheets as recommended on this board, that helps considerably.