The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2009, 02:01 AM   #1
RamSlammer

Any tips to cleaning cases used with black powder?

Recently came across a batch of nice Starline brass that was used for BP Cowboy loads (with Goex I believe). The things are really cruddy with some green corrosion evident. After 4 hours in the tumbler with #24 grit walnut shells and NuFinish, they're still fairly cruddy looking. Anyone know what to use to get these cleaner?
Old March 1, 2009, 07:12 AM   #2
darkgael

BP cases

Did you wash them with soap and water? Discoloration is a common side effect of using BP as a propellant. You can also try 0000 steel wool and polish them that way. Kinda labor intense.
Lee Precision makes a little shellholder for their case trimmer that can be chucked into a drill; that'd be a way to spin the cases if you didn't want to do it the slow way by hand.
Also, what are your plans for the cases? The standard advice is that once the cases have been used for BP, they should not be used for smokeless loads. I'd say that is especially true if these cases are as you have described.
Pete
Old March 1, 2009, 08:15 AM   #3
dlb435

Hot soapy water is what they used to clean black powder guns in the past. Try one of those degreasers from the auto parts store.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
RamSlammer

Quote:
Did you wash them with soap and water? Discoloration is a common side effect of using BP as a propellant. You can also try 0000 steel wool and polish them that way. Kinda labor intense.
Lee Precision makes a little shellholder for their case trimmer that can be chucked into a drill; that'd be a way to spin the cases if you didn't want to do it the slow way by hand.
Also, what are your plans for the cases? The standard advice is that once the cases have been used for BP, they should not be used for smokeless loads. I'd say that is especially true if these cases are as you have described.
Well . . . No, I didn't try soap and water - will do so now however. Hand finishing is a last resort - too many cases (300). What would be harmful about reloading these with smokeless powder now - provided I can get them clean? Does the BP corrosion weaken the brass in some way? They're .45 LC and was going to reload them rather hot for use in a Blackhawk.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:34 PM   #5
RamSlammer

Found a solution . . . .

Large plastic Folgers coffee container half full of hot water with Dawn dish soap. Throw in brass 100 at a time, shake vigorously in a circular motion for a couple of minutes, rinse in a collander and voila - much, much cleaner. After they dry, I think another tumble in the walnut shells will have 'em looking like new.
Old March 1, 2009, 02:48 PM   #6
RamSlammer

Well . . . so much for that idea. Doesn't work. After the cases dried, I found much gunk and corrosion still inside. Can see this reacting with any new smokeless powder unfavorably. Only think would be to attach a brass cleaning brush to a drill or something and individually polish up the inside of each case, then do the flash holes as well.

To the trash can they go . . .
Old March 1, 2009, 03:15 PM   #7
rwilson452

If the cases had been cleaned immediately after use most of that stuff would come out. after the salt residue gets to working they are toast.
Old March 1, 2009, 03:15 PM   #8
KSpainhour

Hello,
Came in late on this thread so fogive me if you have tried this, but have you tried soaking them in kool aid? I have been cleaning my cases in citric acid / dish soap for awhile now, and it works great. I just dump them in a ultrasonic cleaner and wait awhile, then rinse. I think the lime kool aide has the most citric acid in it. I have heard 3 or 4 packs in a quart of water (NO SUGAR.

Take Care,
Old March 1, 2009, 03:58 PM   #9
troy_mclure

on another site a guy was saying he cleaned his 45/70 bp cases in the dish washer, between 2 colanders. he uses extra jet-dri on them.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 1, 2009, 04:20 PM   #10
RamSlammer

Quote:
If the cases had been cleaned immediately after use most of that stuff would come out. after the salt residue gets to working they are toast
I think that's the problem. These were shot about 3 months ago outdoors and have been in an open container on a porch since. I think the corrosion is just too far gone to reclaim them at this point. I'll just have to be more diligent about collecting them up faster from this group of cowboy shooter friends and cleaning in hot soapy water quickly after being shot.

What a waste of good brass! I've asked why they don't just shoot low powered smokeless loads . . . . They LIKE all the smoke apparently and could give a hoot about reloading.
Old March 1, 2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Jim Watson

If you have access to a lot of BP brass, it might be worth investing in a rotary tumbler and some ceramic media. That will clean even the primer pockets... if you decap before tumbling. I shoot BPCR and hand washing each case with a test tube brush was getting old.