The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 2001, 09:26 PM   #1
Strabs

Headspace Yugo M48A before range?

The rifle is one seen advertised with all matching numbers and the bore appears in excellent condition. I assume the rifle was never dismantled since assembly and should be in good working order. Should I have the headspacd checked, or are these particular Mausers good to go once de-cosmo'd?

Thankyou
Old October 18, 2001, 07:24 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I don't believe you should ever consider a milsurp rifle good to go until you've had the headspace checked. I've seen some specimens that were pretty worn out for "unissued" rifles. George
Old October 18, 2001, 09:47 PM   #3
scottsw1

I would never shoot a Military surplus rifle without headspacing it first. I ordered a headspace gauge for my Yugo from http://www.lockstock.com/ and it cost less than $20.00 delivered for the "field reject" gauge. Just make sure to order the older style 20 degree gauge.
Old October 19, 2001, 10:40 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I guess I take risks, and I have most of the common headspace gauges, but I usually give a new (to me) gun a quick visual check and then head for the range. Only if something looks odd or if the chamber does not appear to be original, will I give the gun a complete check out. I would take a chance on a milsurp over a rifle (whether originally military or commercial) that has been reworked.

The most treacherous are rechambered military rifles that have been "restored" to look original. I ran into a Model 1917 that appeared all military and original, but a glance at the chamber caused me to do a chamber cast; sure enough, it was .308 Norma Magnum. The guy who had owned it previously was an "originality" nut, but while he made sure all the parts had the "correct" letter, didn't know or care that the rifle was no longer in the original caliber. (The barrel marking could have been seen in the "sporter" configuration, but was covered up by the military handguard.) Firing that rifle with a .30-'06 could have been interesting.

Jim