The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 1, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1
saypek

Advice for my new revolver?

Just bought my first revolver, a taurus m85 steel frame. The plan is to make it my EDC after a few trips at the range, just to make sure i'm at least a decent shot with it. I was told to use standard pressure fmj loads for target practice. Question is, what ammo would you recommend for SD? Also, is it ok if i dryfire the gun w/ out snapcaps? I live outside the US and i cant seem to find any. Can i make improvised snap caps? I think i've become a revolver guy now. Im planning to sell my 1911 (my current hd gun) and replace it with a ruger or maybe s&w 4inch .357.
Old December 1, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2
old bear

Your Taurus should be just fine with any 38 special ammo +P or not. If it makes you feel better shoot standard pressure ammo at the range, and load the hottest 38 special ammo you can legally get for self defense. In my Smith and Wesson M-60, J frame, I carry Federal 147Gr. +P+ ammo for self defense.
Old December 2, 2012, 03:38 AM   #3
Redhawk5.5+P+

I was told by someone that owns a M85 the manual stated not to dry fire.

I'd just take a little tiny piece of electrical tape and put it over the snap caps of pre shot shells.
Old December 2, 2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Model12Win

As for the snap cap part, here are some!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-1019258

Not a bad price and you won't have to worry about damage if you use these.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Redhawk5.5+P+

OP

Quote:
I live outside the US and i cant seem to find any. Can i make improvised snap caps? I
Canada? Some US companies send stuff outside of the US.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:07 PM   #6
warnerwh

I have heard of people popping the primer out of a case and putting in silicone or using a rubber eraser for snap caps.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
drail

Homemade snap caps made by filling a primer hole with silicone or rubber will not cushion the firing pin. If you are convinced that you need snap caps buy some with spring loaded brass "primers" or just dry fire the gun empty. I have been dry firing S&W, Ruger, Charter and Taurus revolvers for 25 years without snap caps and never had any damage take place. The few times I have seen someone break a firing pin the pin was defective and using snap caps would not have made any difference. The pin was either over hardened or out of alignment. They would have broken with live rounds or snap caps. Limit the use of light bullet high velocity ammo in any revolver. 110-125 gr. high velocity ammo has damaged far more revolvers than dry firing without snap caps. 140 - 158 gr. loads are much easier on the gun.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:19 AM   #8
bikerbill

An 85 was my first handgun, bought it probably 15 or more years ago ... still shoots like a champ, it's my car gun ... has never failed, no issues ... have fun