The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 12, 2011, 06:05 PM   #1
beanerdad

Taurus pt 24/7 pro ds long term reliability

Hello all.....had this gun for awhile, no malfunctions of any kind. Like the looks, ergonomics, sights, accuracy, 12 rounds, etc.. Problem is, in view of the many complaints of long service waits and lack of available parts by Taurus, I'm skeptical about the service life of the piece in the future. Thinking about maybe a basic 1911 that can get common available parts for. Anyone put lot of rounds through theirs?
Old November 12, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
BlackJackID

Hiya Beaner,

I am not a Taurus basher, and have had one or two in the past that I liked however the 24/7 was one that I truly despised. It did look and feel good, but after a couple hundred rounds, the little plug in the back of the slide fell out and that made the Loaded chamber indicator malfunction...I played heck with taurus getting the parts to fix this...then when I got the new one...same thing happened again. I hated that pistol and was luckily able to get rid of it for what I had paid.

If you want long term durability and availability of parts, Definately a 1911 would fit that bill. Its been here a hundred years and I think parts for that are probably the most common pistol parts ever. And...You just cant go wrong with a 1911
Old December 11, 2011, 07:33 PM   #3
jsflagstad

Had good luck with my 24/7

I have a Taurus 24/7 SOCOM in 9mm and it has been great and ultra reliable for at least 1000 rounds so far. It handles / feels great and shoots even better. I had a little trouble with a Taurus Titanium revolver I have in 357, but I sent it in and it was taken care of.

Not afraid to buy or shoot Taurus at all, in fact I just ordered a PT 1911 last week... Excited to see how that performs

JF

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old December 11, 2011, 09:24 PM   #4
fieldcoordinator

I had a 24/7 in .40. I put approx. 600 rounds through it. It was as dependable as a rock, I liked the ergos, looks, pricepoint, reliability and everything about it but the accuracy. It was strictly service grade accuracy. It's not often that I feel like my shooting measures up to the capabilities of the gun, much less exceeds them, but this Taurus was the exception. At 7 yards, where slow fire I can group offhand into 1 - 2" with my Sig 229, the 24/7 was at best a 3 - 4" shooter. I tried 6 different factory loads and some handloads and it didn't like any of them. Gave up, traded it in at a loss to get rid of it.

On the other hand, I have a Taurus PT709 in 9mm that I would put up against Kahr, Sig, or anybody else for accuracy, dependability, ergos, trigger pull, etc. and wouldn't consider selling it.

I had the PT709 first, so maybe my expectations were just too high for the 24/7, or maybe I had one that was at the extreme negative edge of the QC envelope. I hated to give up on it but with the cost of .40 ammo just had to cut my losses.
Old December 12, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5
viciouskitty

I have a 40 cal taurus 24/7. I have had it for about 3 years now. It has been a great dependable gun for the most part. I have around 1500 to 200 rounds thru it I'm not sure. The only thing that has failed me was the extractor I chipped it when i placed a round in the chamber and let the slide close over it. that wasn't a good idea lol. Besides that The gun in my opinion is not super accurate, more like combat accurate. I can get one large ragged hole at 7 yards sometimes when i get lucky. I use it for IDPA and i usually place well with it, I'm the only guy usually that is using a taurus
Old December 12, 2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Evil Monkey

Taurus seems to always come out with something and then it's obsolete next year. What happens when you need parts later on? too bad....they don't make them anymore....
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old December 10, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
jeremy.francis35

taurus pt 24/7 pro ds 9mm

After about 200 rounds pistol began to have random misfires. I tried different ammo and cleaned but still had problems. the last time only 3 of 17 fired. I noticed the ones that fired had a deeper impression on the primer. I tried to call customer service but number is disconnected. I think Im going to send it in for repair then sell it and buy a CZ82.
Old December 10, 2012, 02:16 PM   #8
dwhite

jeremy.francis35,

Curiously I just traded in my CZ-82 and a few dollars for a Taurus 24/7 PRO C in .40. Feel like I got a good trade so far.

I reload for .40 and didn't want to have to load another caliber.

All the Best,
D. White
Old December 13, 2012, 08:24 PM   #9
jeremy.francis35

Yeah I've read numerous good reviews on the 24/7 it's just my luck. I may have zero issues after repair I'm just mad at it right now
Old December 13, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
BigPoppa

I had a Taurus duo-tone Pt 24/7 45 ACP about one year and a half ago that I sold. I had zero problems and the gun was accurate as hell. It was practically brand new as I had only put about 250 rds. through it. I mainly sold it because of the spotty reliability issues I read about on the net. I did not want to take a chance as the round count got higher I would start to have problems. I applied the funds to another 45ACP(Springfield XDM45 4.5) which I am satisfied with also.