The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 9, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Buying advise, first revolver

I am not a wheel gun fan per say but I have a great deal of respect for them. I want to buy one simple because autos don't offer large calibers without a unmanageable grip like the desert eagle.
I really like the .460 and it has the advantage of firring the 3 rounds. Problem is that I have not had a chance to fire one. I have another 30 days before my next pistol but I like to start research early. This gun is mostly target to see how far I can push my skill but I probably will try my hand at whitetail also.
Should I be looking more at the .44 or other alternatives? What other long reach (100 yd) big bores are good choices? .460 ammo prices are scary to say the least.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2
slow944

You could probably find a Ruger Super RedHawk in 454 Casull. It will shoot 45 Colt as well. I had one and killed several pigs with it hunting, on one shot I knocked over 2 at once. Usually run under $500 used, as thats what I paid at a pawn shop. If you reload you can load up some 45 Colt thats a lot easier to shoot than the 454.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:14 PM   #3
rugersp101

You could also go with a Redhawk or Super Redhawk in .44mag and be able to use .44 special. Unless you handload, any big bore ammo will be a little more pricey. Georgia Arms has some good deals on many rounds. As much as I respect and love the .45colt the selection and availability of factory ammo seems much more limited. .44mag is everywhere, though .44 special less so.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
Should I be looking more at the .44 or other alternatives?
Yes.
Quote:
What other long reach (100 yd) big bores are good choices?
.454 Casull, .44Mag, and .45 Colt, as discussed above.

.41Mag is less popular but may still be a good choice; it doesn't hit quite as hard but shoots flatter and is less punishing to the shooter. The downside is that it's even more of a handloader's cartridge than the others. Factory ammo is even harder to find than .44Mag or .45 Colt.

Speaking of handloading, IMHO you should strongly consider doing it if you intend to shoot ANY of the big-bore Magnums very often. The only full-power Magnum that's truly cheap to shoot using factory ammo is .357Mag due to the ability to use .38Spl; however, it sounds to me like you want something that hits harder than that.
Old May 9, 2012, 05:03 PM   #5
skidder

The 44 will be the cheapest to shoot of the big bores. A staple caliber for handgun hunting. The price is right and it will do everything you need it to do.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old May 9, 2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Axelwik

I think a lot of people get big bore guns, shoot them once or twice, and then put them in the safe, rarely to see the light of day again.

Before you get anything bigger than a .44 Mag. I'd suggest shooting one to be sure. I have a .44 and it's certainly big enough for me - why get a Humvee if everything you'll ever want to do can be done well in a Jeep?
Old May 9, 2012, 07:04 PM   #7
stu925

Look at the Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt or the Redhawk in .454 Casull both would be more than capable of killing any critter in the northeast if properly loaded. I love the Blackhawk design, always have so the .45 Colt would be my choice (but I also handload). A buddy owns the Redhawk in .454 and I gotta say if I was in the market for a .454 that would be the one, it's accurate and a lot of fun to shoot with those heavy loads. Not to mention entertaining when someone wants to shoot it that's not familiar with it saw one guy bloody his hand pretty good and one guy almost split his forehead open with it.

Stu
Old May 9, 2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Gdawgs

I recently bought a Magnum Research BFR in 460. I have shot lots of different calibers over the last 25 years or so, lots of 357, 44 mag. I strongly discourage going with a 460 as your first revolver. Recoil is severe and it is difficult to shoot well because of this. Yes you can shoot 454 and 45 Colt out of them, but I have found that the accuracy can be dismal using these rounds(I have read of others having similar results with the Smiths as well). After quite a bit of experimenting I have found some loads that are acceptable, but some are absolutely worthless. So I wouldn't count on that as an option. And if you don't reload, ammo cost is extremely high, so you won't shoot it much.

Others have mentioned good alternatives. If you really want some snort, the Super Redhawk in 454 Casull offers plenty, and you can shoot 45 Colts out of it which are easy shooting. I have been shooting my dad's a fair amount lately, and I really like this gun.

44 mag is a great round. Full power 44 loads are nothing to sneeze at either, and can be difficult to shoot accurately for some due to the recoil(but fairly mild compared to a 460). But you can shoot 44 special which are very comfortable. Lots of great gun choices with the 44 mag.

45 Colt is also a great choice.

I wouldn't rule out a 357 either. If I was forced to choose my favorite caliber, I'd probably choose the 357. If long range accuracy is something you want to play with, see if you can find a Dan Wesson. They are getting harder to find, but one with a scoped 8" barrel will reach out there.

Once you start shooting a revolver you will probably get hooked and may end up with more than one.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:05 PM   #9
black mamba

I strongly recommend a double action 44 magnum. If you are used to shooting semi-autos, the grip frame of the single actions will likely feel very awkward to you. 5 to 6.5" barrels give the best balance of power and portability.

The S&W model 29 or stainless 629 are wonderful revolvers. The strengthening refinements made in 1990 are the last worthwhile changes made, with models 29-5 and 629-3. Most users don't like the key lock addition with the model 29-8 in 2001, so find one between those two dates for the most desireable models. These are not as strong as the Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk, but the lockwork and trigger pulls are far superior. They will certainly handle a lifetime of hunting loads for the field, and light to medium loads for practice will make up the bulk of your shooting anyway.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:18 AM   #10
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
I want to buy one simple because autos don't offer large calibers
If you are new to revolvers, you might consider a six inch .357 Mag. Don't know if you reload, that could make a difference. .38 Special is relatively inexpensive factory fodder and the .357 Mag is not too painful on the wallet.
Quote:
What other long reach (100 yd) big bores are good choices?
I was out shooting a 6" .357 mag earlier today out to 125 yards and consistently hitting a 10" rifle gong with 158 gn .38 Special at that range. If I want a little more "heat" then switch to .357 Mag; Buffalo Bore makes a 180 gn load clocking 1450 fps out of my 6" barrel - approx 800 ft/lbs factory ammo.

Of course you can get bigger bore revolvers, just thinking that you might like playing with something a bit more economical as a starting point and then perhaps go up from there if the desire still lingers!
YMMV

Now, go figure...
Old May 10, 2012, 07:40 AM   #11
BoogieMan

Quote:
I think a lot of people get big bore guns, shoot them once or twice, and then put them in the safe, rarely to see the light of day again.

Before you get anything bigger than a .44 Mag. I'd suggest shooting one to be sure. I have a .44 and it's certainly big enough for me - why get a Humvee if everything you'll ever want to do can be done well in a Jeep?
I think this is probably wise advise. I really set out to get the "most powerful" production pistol with the 460. But the more I shoot (auto's) the reality is sinking in. .44 is still a big bore very high power round. The other thing is that my choices of pistolas both new and used is much more open.
I am thinking something with an 8" ported barrel on the used market. Probably a S&W only because the grip seems to fit me a little better. Also .44 ammo is less than half the price of .460. Either way I wont be shooting more than 50 rounds of any magnum in a range trip. My accuracy declines substantially after 200 rounds of 9mm luger. 9mm in a 1911 doesnt have a fraction of the recoil or weight of a 44.
Thanks for the wisdom
Old May 10, 2012, 10:47 AM   #12
bossman

You might try a Ruger Blackhawk single action convertible in 45 colt/ 45 acp. With the 45 acp cylinder you can practice with cheaper ammo and use the 45 colt, which you can find mild cowboy loads or heavy hunting loads, for your hunting or just fun shooting. The 45 colt is a great round. Mine is a 7 1/2 barrel and has brought down every whitetail I've shot with it.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:30 AM   #13
rclark

Quote:
...ported barrel on the used market
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 'ported' revolver. Standard .44Mag loads just aren't that punishing. .44Mag/.44Spec will do everything you are asking and there are lots of choices out there.... This is from a guy that is an avid .45 Colt (Single Action too) fan... me . I reload though, so I am not 'bound' by what factory ammo is offered and just enjoy this caliber....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Clifford L. Hughes

BoogieMan:

You didn't say whether or not price was a consideratiion. If I were to purchase a magnum revolver for hunting it would be a .454 Casull made by Freedom Arms. My next choices would be a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44.magnum or a Smith & Wesson Model 25 in .45 Colt. I shoot a Super Blackhawk, and a M-25 Smith. On my next pig hunt I'm not sure witch will go with me. Any caliber .454 C asull and over require a lot of practice to assure a vital hit.

Semper Fi:

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; May 10, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:08 PM   #15
justagirl28

I think one of these high powered revolvers would knock me to the ground. lol
Old May 10, 2012, 02:24 PM   #16
skidder

I've had my 5.5 Redhawk for 16 years and it has never let me down. Pack-rats to whitetail it's been great. We don't have any of them wild pigs . I don't pack it as much hiking like I used to (a little on the heavy side), but it's great for target and hunting.
This ain't mine but it looks just like it
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old May 10, 2012, 08:25 PM   #17
M4BGRINGO

I was ready to buy a S&W 460 until I bought and shot my 629. After 50 rounds of .44 Magnum I knew the .460 just wouldn't be fun to shoot. Probably a few rounds a month if that. Why spend that kind of money on a single gun that just sits when I can buy a couple of guns that I would actually shoot. Shooting .44 Special is a nice round, not too much less of a kick than .357 Magnum which is a fun round to shoot.