The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2011, 01:52 PM   #1
1badz

Catching spent primers

I have a RCBS jr press that sends primers out a hole in the right side of the ram, I have an ice cream bucket screwed to bench to catch primers but no matter were i seem to mount my pail i only catch about half of them the rest go in random directions, any ideas? is there another single stage press that has a better system? I bought this lighty used and dont have much into it so I wouldnt feel that bad about replacing it, but it did get me going. Thanks...1badz.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2
snuffy

Yup, several have positive spent primer collection systems;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=317831

The Lee classic cast is very heavy duty. It has a hollow ram which the spent primers fall straight down into a plastic tube on the bottom of the ram, that can be capped, or directed into a waste bucket.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=265719

The forster c0-ax is the Cadillac of single stage presses. None have more mechanical advantage than the co-ax,(it's stronger), ease of sizing. The spent primers drop into a jar just under the shell jaws, 100% positive capture, no grit or residue.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=271710

The Redding big boss 11 has a similar system to the Lee classic, a hollow ram with collection tube.

I'm sure there's others, but that should cover your question.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 21, 2011, 02:31 PM   #3
FM12

Get a Forster/Bonanza press. Problem solved.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:21 AM   #4
dts686

I saw on another web site that you can use the RCBS primer catcher on RCBS JR press. That should solve your problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Primer Catcher.jpg (101.4 KB, 87 views)
Old May 22, 2011, 09:27 AM   #5
dlb435

RCBS makes a primer catcher that fits around the ram. It works OK but the bucket under the press is almost as good. Don't concern yourself too much about it. I just vacuum up the primers on the floor when I'm done.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:15 AM   #6
TXGunNut

Can't catch them all. Be careful with the vacuum cleaner, a stray live primer could make that cleanup chore memorable, to say the least.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:32 AM   #7
hooligan1

Hehehe I use an old Lyman Orange-Crusher, that has a little plastic tray that is "rubber-banded" to the press. It catches maybe 45% of spent primers, so we kick the rest of them under the bench. It seems that one of us hooligan handloaders in my house is going to have to strap on some knee-pads and crawl around under the bench and retrieve those little suckers! After the #2 son gets done with the lawn I'll point the trouble out to him!!
Old May 22, 2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Note that the hollow ram and catch tube system is in the original non-breechlock Classic Cast Lee press. The newer breechlock version catches them off to the side.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 22, 2011, 02:15 PM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
Note that the hollow ram and catch tube system is in the original non-breechlock Classic Cast Lee press. The newer breechlock version catches them off to the side.
Huh? From the midway site;

Quote:
Spent Primer Collection System: Tube that can be routed into trash can
From the lee website;

Quote:
The industry's largest 1 1/8 diameter hollow ram to catch every primer with hose fitting to allow primer disposal directly to a trash can. Supported by over 12 square inches of ram bearing surface.
Anyway the breechlock and LNL bushing fad is just for lazy people who hate turning a die into a press.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 22, 2011, 06:24 PM   #10
reloader28

Dont buy a new press.
Get a hold of RCBS and have them send you a new primer catcher for it.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:25 PM   #11
troy_mclure

Quote:
Anyway the breechlock and LNL bushing fad is just for lazy people who hate turning a die into a press.
i use them, i change dies frequently. with the breachlock it takes me 2 seconds to put the die in, and no adjusting ever once set.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 22, 2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Snuffy,

The original classic cast (the one I have) drops spent primers straight down through the hollow ram. At the bottom is a plastic tube, and you can either cap that tube to hold the spent primers or drop its open end into a waste basket or bucket below the press.

The new one does not drop the primer through the hollow ram. Instead it guides the primer off to the side to find its way to a tube that is to the side of the ram. You can put a plastic tube on that if you want to that also drops primers into a bucket. The difference is, in the newer system the plastic tube isn't moving up and down with the ram, which some customers apparently objected to.

You can see pictures of the two styles here, by scrolling down. Notice how the Breechlock Classic Cast has the aluminum tube on the left side of the ram and there is a small flat aluminum cover plate on the side that you can remove to clear a log jam, if it occurs.

Last edited by Unclenick; May 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old May 23, 2011, 11:09 AM   #13
snuffy

Nick, I stand corrected. I like to be correct about things, makes for better info.

I bet another reason would be lee then doesn't have to bore the ram full-length to allow passage of the spent primers. So, the alum. tube follows the ram up and down?

Point is it still collects each spent primer positively? That is what every press should do.

Old May 23, 2011, 11:23 AM   #14
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Yes, I have both a Lee Classic Cast and Hornady LNL AP and they both have hollow rams and ALL the primers are caught...so long as you have something at the end of the plastic tube...like a bottle or trash can.

Quote:
Actually, since I use all Lee dies and their o-ring "lock-ring" setup is mediocre at best for keeping a die at proper setting, I find that the LNL bushings are nice because you can tighten that o-ring lock ring down nice and snug against that bushing and that setting is locked in. OK, OK, OK...maybe I am just a little bit too lazy to screw dies in and out...

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 23, 2011, 11:26 AM   #15
mapsjanhere

The problem with the new Lee CC is that the catcher only works if you're using the Lee automatic feeder. If (like me) you like to hand prime and don't have the automatic feeder mounted it sends the primers all over the place.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

That was my concern. I assumed the trajectory of the spent primer depended on whatever else occupied the slot. Even the original Classic Cast will allow some primers to escape if the priming tool is left out, but you can just close off the slot to prevent that. One fellow on another board wedged a length of plastic soda straw into it sideways that seemed to handle it.

Snuffy,

I expect the new unit's ram is still hollow. It's machined from tubing to save cost and weight. But it has an extension on top that has the shell holder and priming slots in it, so the extension is what Lee would have changed. Sending primers off to the side is what my old aluminum frame Challenger does, and, unfortunately it just doesn't control them as well as a straight drop. I imagine that's why that removable aluminum side plate is there: it occasionally needs to be removed to clear a jam. Otherwise why bother to put it on with screws instead of rivets, which are less expensive in manufacturing.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:50 AM   #17
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

deleted

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~