The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2011, 01:56 AM   #1
DarthNul

Blue Dot - Black Forearm

I tested some .40 S&W loads at the range Wednesday. Three of those loads used Blue Dot. I've tried Blue Dot several times before for 9mm, but the only loads that I do "in production" with the powder are two that I developed especially for my 9mm Hipoint carbine. The longer barrel gives it more time to burn.

Every time I've used or tested Blue Dot with pistols I end up with unburned powder all over my right forearm. It tends to run pretty clean at or near max loads but anything less gets messy.

Anybody else experience this phenomena? It doesn't meter particularly well either so I'm thinking maybe I won't buy any more once I finish up this jug.
Old May 21, 2011, 06:06 AM   #2
cryogenic419

I had the same issue a few weeks back with some 10mm loads. The general concensus I got from here was BlueDot burns best and most efficiently at or near max loads, otherwise you will get the unburned powder debris.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:29 AM   #3
MLeake

Just getting into reloading, but was told by a mentor to use Blue Dot for +p and magnum pressure loads, only.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:41 AM   #4
dwhite

Tried Blue-Dot in 38 Specials one time with 158 grain LSWC's. What a mess. I believe half the powder went out the end of the barrel unburned.

Works great in high pressure rounds. Great in hot .40 loads with jacketed bullets. Good in .357 mag too. It's bright and flashy, which I kind of like too!

I've used some AA#7 which is in the same burn speed category and it seems a lot more stable at top end loads. This will replace Blue Dot for me.

All the Best,
D. White
Old May 21, 2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

With Blue Dot, to get the best burn and performance, I've found that you need:

1. Near max loads.

2. Heavier bullets.

3. Good solid crimp (I've shot all of my Blue Dot in revolvers, but not a lot of it).

To be perfectly honest, I'd think that there are better powders for the .40 than Blue Dot.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Marco Califo

Quote:
I'd think that there are better powders for the .40 than Blue Dot.
Blue Dot is a great slow-burning shotgun powder for heavy loads. I have some and use it for that.

I also have a 40 S&W and load for it. But I do NOT reach for the Blue Dot. It CAN be used for pistol loads; but, that does not mean it is the best powder to use for your pistol. The Alliant powders I have and use for 40 S&W are Bullseye, and Power Pistol.