The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 26, 2011, 07:28 PM   #1
8shot357

Snub 38/357 for HD for me

Why you ask?

Well, this is how I see it. It's really hard to grab from you if they go for your gun.

That's it.

If you have a bigger gun, or a rifle/shotgun, it's a big grip, and much more easier to get a hold of, not to mention getting pointed in the wrong direction, but the snubby is easier to pull away and take a shot at them if you do it correctly.

This I'm talking about would be in close contact.

If somebody was trying to get in my door and not already in my house, it's rifles all day long though. But I feel best with my snubby, and I have many other options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun S&W 327 w Light c 007.jpg (58.2 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by 8shot357; March 26, 2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old March 26, 2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Sarge

I've never gone for anything quite that elaborate, but the short revolver has much to recommend it. You can shove it in somebody's ribs at bad-breath distance and trigger multiple shots without fear of their apparel or personal components tying your gun up.
Old March 26, 2011, 08:39 PM   #3
dalegribble

there are no bad choices for self defense, just bad shots.
Old March 26, 2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Win73

I keep my S & W .38 snub in my pocket at all times in the house. But I also have a 9 mm and a .45 strategically located at different places so one of them is also quick to hand.

When I go to bed I put the .38 on my nightstand. I do place it so the lamp is between me and the gun so I would have to deliberately reach around the lamp to get the gun.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old March 26, 2011, 10:29 PM   #5
treg

My main carry gun is a snubbie. I trust it enough for that, it's convienient (don't have to switch in and out of the safe), and I'm very familiar with it. I see no good reason to change just because I'm in the house.

I once read that Bill Ruger kept a SP101 on his nightstand.
Old March 26, 2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Navy joe

Well, you have a valid reason for your choice, so you're right. I'd personally pick differently. Still limited capacity, a .357 snub shot from retention indoors might take a few of your sensors out of the fight as well as the other guy. I generally keep a J-frame in my pocket, good for going off to find a bigger gun. We always talk about limited penetration, heck, what if the guy uses cover? Maybe I want to shoot through my wall! That's just me, I know what is outside of my house. (Not much) Everything has disadvantages. If I thought it would stay indoors a Ithaca 37 with 00 and a belt of slugs is probably my choice, if I thought it would head outdoors there are several rifles of meaningful caliber handy.

My HD situation is rather rare, It's big wide open and I could easily see someone who was no longer fond of me being a threat from 200+ yards.
Old March 27, 2011, 09:44 AM   #7
microman

Quote:
Snub 38/357 for HD for me
Nothing wrong with that. I actually prefer revolvers for HD
over autos. No safeties to worry with "unless we are talking
about Glocks"

Revolvers are idiot proof and thats what is needed when
Gremlins are in your house at 3 am...
Old March 27, 2011, 10:25 AM   #8
catnphx

Though I've got other pistols/shotguns I usually turn too, I just shot my trusted S&W .357 640-1 on Friday at the range; it's a great gun. It's only got 5 shots but I still carry it when I go hiking ... it fits great in my fanny pack.

I'm very accurate with it and it is great for close quarters situations. I purchased it in 1996 and will always keep it. As the years pass, I find it more and more difficult to get it in the rotation to carry but it is a great gun.
Old March 27, 2011, 01:11 PM   #9
357 Python

Nothing wrong there. Your thoughts are sound. Besides my wife's home gun is a 2 1/2" S&W model 66. It isn't as heavy as my other guns so she adopted it for her gun. As always pray that it is never needed but be thankful if it is.
Old March 27, 2011, 06:09 PM   #10
curmudgeon1

Can't shoot a revolver from inside a pocket or from a close-to-the-body retention position ....... that side-blast from the cylinder/barrel gap can be nasty.
WARNING: DO NOT try this at home !!

Last edited by curmudgeon1; March 27, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old March 27, 2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Edward429451

You could if your life depended on it.
Old March 29, 2011, 04:39 PM   #12
BRE346

Snub carry

Yup, I carry a 9mm auto, sometimes with a 38 spl snubbie for a BUG. I'm beginning to think that the snubbie will be enough, night and day, here and there.

Lord help me if it isn't.
Old March 30, 2011, 07:57 AM   #13
Dwight55

Your 38 snubbie is 1 1/2 inches shorter than my XD45, 2 inches shorter than my 1911.

A 5 shot .357 borders on totally unmanageable for follow-up shots, the muzzle blast borders on deafening, and the muzzle flash will blind you for at least 3 seconds after each shot in a dark room.

A 5 shot .38 puts out 5 rounds of "low end" borderline SD effective rounds.

Most revolver owners cannot reload the thing in much of anything less than one full minute, . . . when they do, . . . if they are successful, . . . the situation either should be over, . . . or they'll be dead.

My XD or 1911 start at 9 rounds, go to 14, . . . reload quickly and easily even under adverse circumstances, . . . have a track record of very effective in the rounds they deliver, . . . have only a fraction of the muzzle blast and muzzle flash of a sawed off revolver.

Quickly effective follow-up shooting is part and parcel to the breed.

I have revolvers, . . . love shooting them, . . . enjoy hunting with them, . . . but I fully realize that they are the Model "T"s of HD and SD, . . . and fully deserve to join Marshall Dillon's rig, . . . hanging on a peg somewhere.

YMMV

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 30, 2011, 09:22 AM   #14
Sarge

That's the funniest post I've seen here in awhile, Dwight. Thanks- I needed a laugh this morning.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Jimmy10mm

Quote:
A 5 shot .38 puts out 5 rounds of "low end" borderline SD effective rounds.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:52 AM   #16
Water-Man

I sometimes carry a snub, but in the house it's a P220 and a 1911 in .45acp.
Old March 30, 2011, 10:06 AM   #17
Webleymkv

Quote:
A 5 shot .357 borders on totally unmanageable for follow-up shots, the muzzle blast borders on deafening, and the muzzle flash will blind you for at least 3 seconds after each shot in a dark room.
That is not my experience at all. I can do pretty respectable double taps with my dad's Ruger SP101 with full power 158grn Magnums. Though it does get tiring after a while, two or three cylinders full isn't a problem. Also, I've fired a snub .357 in low light without hearing protection and while the muzzle blast and flash was definately noticeable, I was still able to immediately see and hear what was going on around me.

Quote:
Most revolver owners cannot reload the thing in much of anything less than one full minute, . . . when they do, . . . if they are successful, . . . the situation either should be over, . . . or they'll be dead.
I'm no Jerry Miculeck or anything, but I was practicing reloading my S&W M66 at the range on Monday and I was able to fish a Safariland Speedloader out of my coat pocket and reload in 10-15 seconds without trying particularly hard.

Quote:
My XD or 1911 start at 9 rounds, go to 14, . . . reload quickly and easily even under adverse circumstances, . . . have a track record of very effective in the rounds they deliver, . . . have only a fraction of the muzzle blast and muzzle flash of a sawed off revolver.
Capacity is, I feel, over-emphasized. A self-defense situation, particularly inside a home, is likely to happen very quickly and at very close range. I don't know about you, but I can't draw and fire more than two or three shots out of any handgun in much less than two seconds, an amount of time that would easily allow most people to cover several yards. This means that if someone is willing to brave gunfire, they're likely going to be on top of me in a grappling situation and, as has been mentioned, a revolver can be shoved into someones abdomen and fired repeatedly without malfunction.

Since we're talking about self-defense, if I've got enough time and distance for anything more than a revolver to be useful, I'm going to be reaching for a more substantial weapon than a handgun anyway (I also keep a 12ga shotgun and a .223 semi-auto rifle handy for HD).

Quote:
I have revolvers, . . . love shooting them, . . . enjoy hunting with them, . . . but I fully realize that they are the Model "T"s of HD and SD, . . . and fully deserve to join Marshall Dillon's rig, . . . hanging on a peg somewhere.
Yet you still depend on a 1911 which was developed concurrently, or in many cases before, with the majority of modern DA revolvers.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:22 PM   #18
atlctyslkr

Works for me. I keep a 357 loaded with 38's within easy reach at home. I hope it will buy me time to get to my shotgun if I should need it.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:26 PM   #19
Deaf Smith

Tom Givens of Rangermaster has spoken many times about the increase of mulit-member robbery teams. He advises those who carry revolvers to remember that.

And my own advice, if you pack a revolver.... carry two. 11 to 12 immediate shots should cover most situations, but 5 or six might not.

Deaf
Old April 26, 2011, 10:17 PM   #20
LeopardCurDog

Can't shoot a revolver from inside a pocket or from a close-to-the-body retention position ....... that side-blast from the cylinder/barrel gap can be nasty.

Totally and completely false.
Old April 26, 2011, 10:38 PM   #21
Deja vu

Quote:
WARNING: DO NOT try this at home !!
as a teenager I did this and it was not as bad as you would think. I shot a 38 special from my coat pocket trying to impress my Idiot brother (I think I was the bigger idiot) there was some minor burns on the inside of the pocket but it was not too bad. The major problem was the hole in my coat that my mom saw very quickly after we got home.

My friends at school thought it was cool when I explained what happed to them (of course stretching the truth to say I was shooting at a crow instead of just shooting at the air.)

Quote:
And my own advice, if you pack a revolver.... carry two. 11 to 12 immediate shots should cover most situations, but 5 or six might not.
I own a S&W revolver in 357 magnum that holds as many rounds as my 1911 style gun (8) Granted reloading the 1911 is faster if the magazine is handy, If its not handy reloading the revolver is faster especially with moon clips.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 26, 2011, 10:44 PM   #22
Nnobby45

Snubby is better than nothing, but if Bubba and his friends crash thru your in the middle of the night and you have to settle things with 5 shots, while standing there in your shorts (if that), then that's your call.

I'm more comforted with a SIG and 20 rd. mag. about 2 1/2 steps away next to my shotgun, and my daily carry gun on the night stand.

Guess we're both comfortable with our HD arrangements.
Old April 26, 2011, 10:50 PM   #23
mnero

A snub nose is great for all the reasons you mentioned. They are loud, especially .357 or 44's but so is a 1911. The muzzle flash blinding you is a problem, if it's dark any flash snub or othewise will effect your vision, briefly, so 1911 will to. If you have a 10" barrel maybe but a 1911 Reloading, yes if you are expecting the need for a reload, a semi-auto is way faster. I personaly keep a snub .38 Smith&Wesson on the night stand and a 20 guage coach gun next to the night stand; that would be my reload. If that fails then I guess it is a .357 lever action henry rifle loaded with .38 +p. It is good to have options, but I am guessing, should the very unlikely event of it's need arise, the snub will do
Old April 26, 2011, 10:53 PM   #24
Crazy88Fingers

If a bad guy is close enough to grab a 4" barrel, he's probably close enough to just grab the gun itself. If he does that, you might have a little trouble getting the cylinder to rotate.

I'm a bit more comfortable with a longer barrel and one extra round. But hey, different strokes.
Old April 26, 2011, 11:06 PM   #25
C0untZer0

At first I thought "It's kind of hard to grab a homeowners 12 gauge when you get shot in the gut or the chest and 12 to 16 projectiles are peircing your body and the wad goes down the same wound channel."

But now - hey, you've made a beleiver out of me!

It's snubbie all the way for me from now on !