The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
kirbythegunsmith

Chamber repair details shown in pictures

Here is what I showed regarding a proper repair of a bad chamber, since someone had tried to get this done on a shotgun and had been given unsatisfactory results.
I had received enough feedback that there was some interest in such information that I decided to post this here.
------------------------------------------------------

I have done this type of repair and have some views that may interest the reader.

This is one Superposed with eroded chambers that needed new chamber contour to reduce shell grab and improve extraction, plus the owner hated the appearance and wanted a change. The 2 different views make the erosion/pitting level apparent, and the "after" views make it clear that the finish is close to what you expect to see in a brand new Browning chamber.

In other words, this is not a utilitarian chamber sleeving meant to renew the serviceability, but is also intended to be cosmetically imperceptible from a normal chamber. Naturally, this requires specialized effort to make such results, but a quality gun needs a quality job. This example had a better appearance inside the chamber than the rest of the bore after completion, so then there was some mismatch in the opposite way vs. when it arrived from Art's.

This type of repair is also done for overall renewal, reset of the rim depth in cases of excess headspace/misfires, improved rim contact to an extractor due to extra side play available for the cartridge, and can even make some difference of offset (another misfire condition) firing pin hit location on the primer.

Kirby

--------------------------------------------------------

This should provide sufficient information of the improvement to discern if the job was properly completed and cosmetically acceptable.

--------------------------------------------------------

Articles containing valuable information are on every page.
Old June 8, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
the rifleer

How did you do that without making the chamber larger in diameter? This may be dumb, but did you just use a brake hone?
Old June 8, 2011, 06:42 PM   #3
kozak6

Well done.

I'm also impressed with your photography. Those look like exceptionally difficult photos to take.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Goatwhiskers

No, a brake hone won't do it. The chamber must be bored out to the diameter of the rim recess, and at least as deep as the damaged area, I would probably go full depth. Then a sleeve is installed and the new chamber cut and polished and the rim recess correctly cut. Not something the unskilled should try. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old June 8, 2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Kirby.....
Old June 10, 2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Ltriker

Beautiful work Kirby, thanks for posting.