The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 24, 2010, 03:08 PM   #26
PBblaster

I was waiting to hear from the NRA and ANJRPC again to see what I should do but they are not responding. I suppose I'll write a letter to the chief explaining why I won't sign the form.

A few years ago there was a buy back program at the Old Bridge PD.
I had a Marlin 60 and Winchester 190 and some other so called "Assault Rifles"
They were paying $500 each for these killing machines.
I walked out with $2500 !!

The officer told me the program wasn't working as intended. I suppose somebody thought that gang members and other criminals would be lining up to hand in their guns. The line was out the door with guys like me getting rid of their old junk.
Old March 25, 2010, 08:49 AM   #27
camoman1945

I get a kick about the gang part. They are getting their guns illegally. Does the public really think they are going through the process we are going through to get a pistol? They buy it in the street. They threat us like the criminal for doing the right thing.

I am new to NJ gun laws but can you have a S&W M&P 15-22?
Old April 12, 2010, 07:01 PM   #28
camoman1945

it is now over a month did you get your permit?
Old June 22, 2010, 06:53 PM   #29
PBblaster

NJ handgun Permit

Sorry for the delay.....The police lieutenant refused to accept my application without signing the supplemental form. I wrote a letter to the Chief of police on May 26 and he agreed with ME on June 17 ! He instructed the lieutenant to proceed with my application. I received a call from the lieutenant today, June 22. Now he wants me to sign another FBI background check form. I received a call from the NRA headquarters asking me to send the forms to them. Apparently they are looking in to the matter.
Old June 22, 2010, 07:17 PM   #30
Mawetta

Sincerely I want to thank you PBBlaster.

I admire your tenacity for perusing this issue and not letting the department abuse your rights.

I live nowhere near NJ but it matters to me that this is going on.
Old June 22, 2010, 08:49 PM   #31
PBblaster

Thank you for your support.

I feel that we must fight these attacks on our rights at every level. A lot of people from "gun friendly" states just say "leave NJ". What they don't realize is that lost rights in one state will lead to an erosion of rights in the whole country. Senator Boxer said they will go after guns "when the time is right" Maybe this will happen when Obama appoints another judge to the supreme court.

I'm sure the P.D. will do anything they can to deny my permit. I'll probably sign the FBI form after I read it thoroughly, although it might not be required by state law. I have nothing to hide.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:24 AM   #32
Pinelands

This isn't the first time ive heard of some towns requiring "extra forms". I give you credit for having the balls to call them out on this. Its good that the chief is on your side, but I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely drag their feet in issuing your permit.

In my opinion we possibly have the most oppressive gun laws and the most pervasive anti-gun culture in the entire country. Im looking to move once I save up enough cash.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh, and regarding the Marlin model 60...the current model with the 14-shot tube is perfectly legal. But the older 18 shot model is banned because of NJ's magazine limit of 15 rounds on semi-automatic firearms.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:48 PM   #33
kx592

PB quick question, where in NJ are you and what town is the barracks located in, im NJ resident and would like to know.
Old June 24, 2010, 06:49 AM   #34
RDak

PBblaster, you are my hero!!

Hope everything works out well for you.....you deserve it!!
Old June 28, 2010, 07:36 PM   #35
PBblaster

Thanks again to all of you for your support.

I met with the Lieutenant again the other day to sign the FBI form he said he needed. What he had was a form SP-66 which is one of the forms required by state law, not an FBI form. When I told him I already signed that form in February he said he needed another one. It seemed odd to me but I signed it anyway. I should have the permits soon unless they reject me for some reason.

To KX592, I'm in Manalapan so I'm dealing with the local PD and not the State police.

To any other NJ subscribers, feel free to contact me if you run in to this type of problem in your town. I can supply you with the statutes and other correspondence that I have received.
Old October 30, 2010, 12:59 PM   #36
Downr@nge

I'm in NJ also and my township has a "Work Authorization" form where they want me to allow them to ask my employer for any and all records they want to help determine whether I should or shouldn't be able to have a handgun.

I called the NJSP FIU and the lady was very helpful and said she'd hand the info over to the Lieutenant and things would get done from there. Hopefully it has been taken care of. When its time to turn my application in, I will just hand them printed out forms STS33 and SP66 and THATS IT. If they say I have to fill it out, I will let them know about the appropriate statute.
Old October 31, 2010, 02:55 AM   #37
maestro pistolero

That state (and a few others) are long overdue for a slap-down in federal court. I hope it comes with the maximum possible cost, shame, and humiliation. The hubris of these 'officials' is astounding, truly.

It is nearly beyond my thinking to imagine the mindset of someone who sees themselves as the arbiter of which law-abiding citizens may, or may not defend their life and the lives of their family members.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; October 31, 2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old October 31, 2010, 03:28 AM   #38
silentargus

These are the perils of the process in NJ... every step of the way, if even one of the guys rubber-stamping your paperwork doesn't think us commoners should have guns, expect misery. I've had the good fortune of living in a town with friendly Police... crappy local government, but good Police. There are also towns where, no matter what the law says, your paperwork will never come through... if they'll let you have the forms in the first place. Sometimes they want everything but the length of your pubic hairs just to make the process that much more of a hassle. I'm pretty sure that the "find two people to vouch for your sanity" thing is statewide, but that doesn't make it any less of a pain.

Here's a fun little tidbit- if you're unemployed and not in school, the state might just reject your application. Nearly happened to me last time (this was just before the one-gun-a-month law went through). That's not just for the if-your-town-has-it Work Authorization form, that's if the State Police goon in charge of your paperwork decides that being out of work should revoke your constitutional rights.

I admire your spunk in fighting that goon of an Lt. I don't know if I'd have the will to fight all the way up the chain.

Now just wait until you go and actually buy the gun and have to give the State Police another $15.90 so that they can make the call to NICS that the dealer could have made in any other state. :barf:

Really can't wait until I'm finally able to move permanently away. Doesn't matter who's in charge; NJ is beyond help.
Old October 31, 2010, 12:06 PM   #39
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentargus
Doesn't matter who's in charge; NJ is beyond help.
That's precisely what everyone has thought about California. It's changing there. Quite rapidly, if I may say so. That change is coming because of the tireless efforts of the gun owners in that State.

While it may take a bit longer for the east coast to fall... It will. Take heart in that.
Old November 3, 2010, 09:31 AM   #40
PBblaster

Form NJ STS-33 which is required to purchase a handgun asks for the name,address and phone # of your employer. You shouldn't have to fill out another form. You might want to contact the NRA and the Association of NJ Rifle and Pistol clubs. http://www.anjrpc.org/

They will both be absolutely useless to you in your individual fight but are collecting these illegal forms and may use them in a future lawsuit.

Good Luck !
Old November 3, 2010, 12:13 PM   #41
NJgunowner

I lucked out really. My HG permit took 2.5 months for the first one, and the second one took less than 2 weeks a year later. The cops who were there kept asking me what I was buying and making recommendations

NJ is a pain, but at least the cops in my town try to make it a little less painful.
Old November 3, 2010, 12:32 PM   #42
PBblaster

After my initial background check,I used to get my permits the SAME DAY !
As I was filling out my application, the officer would be filling out the permits ($2.00 each) He told me that as soon as he puts my SS number in the computer he knows all about me. This last application took almost 6 months.