The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 20, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Taroman

Patridge Front Sight for S&W Model 29?

My S&W 29-2 has the "red ramp" front sight. I much prefer the patridge blade as issued on my K17 .22.

Is there any way this can be changed?

Apparently S&W no longer does this type of service.

thanks.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old January 21, 2010, 02:48 AM   #2
tipoc

Yes a Patridge front sight can be fitted. The S&W Performance Center can do this for you. So can a large number of competent pistolsmiths.

tipoc
Old January 21, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Winchester_73

Since a 29-2 is pinned and recessed, I advise you not to have this alteration performed. The older S&Ws are becoming more and more collectible and this alteration would lower the collector appeal. Also, if your 29-2 is a shooter, the newer 629s are better for that purpose anyways. Just a thought.
Old January 21, 2010, 04:02 PM   #4
laytonj1

If the front blade is pinned to the base then it's a simply matter of drifting the pin out, putting a new blade in, drilling a new hole thru the blade and reinstalling the pin.
If it's a one piece, barrel and sight forged as a single unit, then your only option is to have the front sight milled off, a grove milled into the base and then a new blade installed, drilled and pinned.
Since S&W used both types during the years look to see if there is a pin in yours.

Jim
Old January 21, 2010, 04:26 PM   #5
mete

The problem with all those plastic glow sights is that they are different whether in the sun or shade. When we were seriously doing metallic silhouette matches we demonstrated that clearly !! I took the red insert out of the sight and replaced it with a blued steel insert I made. The difference ? In the sunlight I was 2 clicks off compared to the black at 50 yds !! In the sun the red glows so much that you automatically lower the barrel so you can see the target !! Others found the same problem . My Benelli shotgun came with red front sight and after the first squirrel hunt I replaced it with a stainless steel sight !
Old January 21, 2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Taroman

Exactly, it is a siluouette gun. I had blackened and painted that many times ramp over the years. The red thing had also fallen out a couple of times over the years. Screw the collectors. Guns are made to shoot.

Just looked. I'm lucky. it's pinned.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old January 21, 2010, 05:44 PM   #7
drail

As much as I love a sharp square black Patridge sight blade it will eat a leather holster like a fish scaler every time you pull the gun. But for a range gun you just lay on the bench and shoot, oh yeah! ("screw the collectors! " I like the way you think man.)
Old January 21, 2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Slamfire

A previous owner modified the original sight and put in a red ramp. I sent this 44 Spl off to S&W and had them install the partridge.

I much prefer partridge sights on my handguns.

One reason I like this 44 Mag. The front sights are easy to change.

Old January 21, 2010, 07:00 PM   #9
tipoc

As I said there are a wide variety of front and rear sight systems available, including interchangeable front sights for diffferent conditions and types of shooting. Google, a look over to MidwayUSA or Brownell's will give you many options.

S&W can do the work for you or many smiths. Not a hard job but it should be done right.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/revserv.htm

The purpose of the Baughman front sight with the red ramp was to facilitate a quick draw and seeing the front sight in low light conditions. They were not intended to be target or hunting sights. The Patridge style works well for the latter.

With a proper holster made for them the Patridge will not "eat a leather holster like a fish scaler" .

tipoc

Tags
s&w model 29