The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1
dsv424

Crimping 9mm?

Do you guys generally crimp 9 mm? I ordered a set of Lee carbide dies for 9mm, I wanted to get the deluxe set that includes the FCD but was on back-order every where I looked. Should I try to find the FCD separate or does it really matter for 9 mm?
Old March 24, 2009, 08:27 PM   #2
ar15chase

I always crimp my 9mm.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:02 PM   #3
SL1

The "3rd" die in a 3-die pistol set does 2 functions: seat the bullet and crimp.

You can set the die up to do both in one stroke, but that is not the optimum approach, except for being easiest and cheapest. You can use that one die twice, set once for only seating and the second time for only crimping. This is a pain to keep adjusting the die to do each thing. But, adjusting the die only once to do both functions in one stroke is hard for some people to do so that it does not create problems (for instance, gouging the plating on a plated bullet). That is why a lot of us just use two dies, one for each function.

And, the Lee "Factory Crimp Die" also does another function that other crimping dies don't do. It has a carbide ring in its bsae that will size any over-diameter part of the case back down to max SAAMI specs. The intend is to insure proper feeding.

SL1
Old March 24, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
tiberius10721

lee factory crimp die is awesome!
Old March 25, 2009, 01:29 AM   #5
Hommbs

If the sizing die is doing it's job and sizing the case down enough, that should give you all the case tension against the bullet that you need in an automatic cartridge. The crimp die usually is just used to remove any belling on the case mouth.
Old March 25, 2009, 07:32 AM   #6
SL1

But, you NEED to bell (or flair) the case mouth to properly seat a bullet.

And, you need to at least remove the flair to allow the round to chamber properly.

Hence, the taper crimp function of the last die.

SL1
Old March 25, 2009, 07:40 AM   #7
ShootingNut

Using my FCD for me ensures, as others have said, a nice taper crimp which promotes 100% feeding with no problems. It's the way to go in my book!
SN
Old March 25, 2009, 07:53 AM   #8
ShootingNut

dsv,
Didn't know for sure, if you want a 4 die set, or just the FCD.
Have you checked with Sue at Kemps Gun Shop?
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Good people to deal with!
SN
Old March 25, 2009, 08:16 AM   #9
Dingoboyx

+1 always crimp

And try to get a uniform crimp, whichever die you use to crimp with. You dont want a round in the mag to lose its head in the mag.... powder everywhere (this can happen from recoil)

When setting up the 3rd die, I first set it up with a few unprimed cases with no powder & no projectile in it, so I can feel when the case is reaching the crimper. then tighten the die down just a little more. When I am happy with this height, I screw in the projectile seating plunger, adjust it roughly, then put in a projectile and try it. Then I adjust the projectile depth til its right. Then I do a 1st try with a complete round and check the seat height and crimp and make any final adjustments. I dont use a progressive press, (got a lee aniversary turret 3 die) so I do them in stages. After tumbling, De-prime & size all, prime all, flare and charge, seat & crimp, FCD. I know this is slow:barf:, but I have time

With my 9mm (luger/glock) I take out the (stainless after market) barrel and test fit a fair few in the breech end (just to make sure they will chamber at the range) If I have reloaded 100, I might check 10 - 15 in the barrel, if none were too tight, I concider they all should be ok. If a few dont fit (perfectly) I either put them thru the FCD again, or remove the primer pin on the FLSD and put them thru the sizing die again, to be sure.

You have to have a good crimp tho, if the pill doesnt get held back on ignition, your accuracy will be RS And you risk the head falling off in the mag or on the way into the chamber.

The best thing about a FCD is if you are using lead projectiles with no canalures you can get a good crimp (right where you want it) coz it will grip by digging (slightly) the case mouth into the lead

The last check I do before putting the round in the finished box, is to try twisting the projectile in the case with my fingers. If it moves, it aint crimped good enough

Muzza
Old March 25, 2009, 08:40 AM   #10
45Marlin carbine

dingoboy nails it.
when I load cast slugs I don't use the FCD however. since they are slightly oversize of a jacketed and just 'practice' rounds I use the 3rd die to seat & crimp very lightly.
all jacketed slugs I use the 4th or FCD operation. these rounds are intended as s-d or h-d rounds and the 4th die is worth every second of time involved. I load these for nephews and shooting buddys with premium slugs usually.
have you checked prices on premium cartridges lately?
Old March 25, 2009, 09:14 AM   #11
Dingoboyx

Once I accidently picked up a wrong box of reloads

They were all complete, (.44 mag Ruger Vaquaro) but not crimped yet (when I used to seat the projectiles only, then go back and FCD them) I got to the range (late) and rushed to get ready to shoot. I loaded up, let one go..... then it wouldnt index... Had a look, heres a projectile hanging out of the chamber jamming the wheel A quick look over my shoulder to see if anyone saw, pushed the projectile in a bit, shot again.... thump thump.... 2 projectiles fell on the bench in front of me everyone started clapping and cheering
I had to go thru the box of ammo and try to pull the pills out by hand... if they came out, put them aside, the ones that stayed in got lined up to use.... lol Now I carry a spare single stage press on a piece of timber and a G clamp and a set of dies in my shooting box (just in case)

But that was when I was young and stoopid.... (last year)

Muzza
Old March 25, 2009, 09:17 AM   #12
dsv424

Thx for set-up Dingoboy, although I won't be using lead its what I'll do to ensure a good crimp. BTW I did talk to Sue at Kempf's and they don't know when they will get any deluxe Lee sets in so I got the 3 die set from them. I think I can get the FCD seperately later on though. Thx again for all the advise you all sent.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:22 AM   #13
gb_in_ga

I use my Lee FCD on all of my 9mm loads except for those using Remington's Golden Saber bullets. The driving band on the Golden Saber bullet interferes with the FCD. On the Golden Saber loads, I use a light roll crimp. Just enough to secure the bullet, but not so much as to interfere with headspace.

Quote:
I think I can get the FCD seperately later on though.
You can order one at a reasonable price here. Yes, it is on backorder, but it looks like it should ship in about a week. It's worth the wait, if ya' ask me!
Old March 25, 2009, 09:32 AM   #14
Dingoboyx

I started with 3 die sets (hadnt heard of FCD's then... woz a noobi) then ended up getting FCD's later (after I found out wot I woz doin' wrong)

it's not a problem, they are readily available on their own

DSV, theres nothing stopping you reloading what you want now, do your best with a 3 die set, when your FCD arrives, just run them all thru then.

Muzza

Last edited by Dingoboyx; March 25, 2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added wot I forgot
Old March 25, 2009, 10:29 AM   #15
gb_in_ga

Quote:
Now I carry a spare single stage press on a piece of timber and a G clamp and a set of dies in my shooting box (just in case
Might I suggest that a hand press, like the one Lee has, would do the same job and be that much lighter and less bulky and not have any need for clamping to a bench?
Old March 25, 2009, 10:49 AM   #16
Dingoboyx

Just using what I got mate

I have accumulated 4 presses over the years, dont want to buy a hand press too. Thanx anyhoo, good idea
Old March 25, 2009, 12:54 PM   #17
SL1

One problem with using more than one press is that the dies usually need to be readjusted when you change presses. PITA!

So, unless you are using an elaborate progressive setup, it pays to take the usual press to the range. It IS possible to make-up a shim for one or the other so that you don't need to adjust dies, but unless you are lucky enough to have the necessary dimension fall where there is shim stock available, you will need to find somebody who can roll or grind flat material to close tolerances.

SL1
Old March 25, 2009, 09:55 PM   #18
hikingman

+1 Lee FCD 9mm, just over 1/2 turn or light crimp per the instructions for moderate target loads, here.
Old March 26, 2009, 05:20 AM   #19
Dingoboyx

SL1

Thanks for your comments mate. Like I said, over the years I have picked up 4 presses, My main 1 is a lee aniversary 3 die (non advancing) turret. I have turrets set up for .44 mag, .44-40, 9x19 (Glock fodder) & .32 S&W. Along with my other presses, I have other .44 mag & .44-40 die sets and parts there of. and extra FCD's. Since I have had my spare (small) single stage press in my shooting box and the spare FCD's, I havent had to use them
It's just nice to know I have it if I need it. All I would have to do is stand a round in the press, screw in the FCD and fiddle for a couple of seconds to get the crimp just right and I will be ok

I actually have an old Toyota Coaster, 1980, bus/motorhome (about 20' long) of course with a 5 liter V8 motor & auto trans.in it and am going to make it into a "mobile reloading and general gun workshop" for when I go away. I am making a mock up (pretend) Dillon Minigun for on the roof so it will look cool when it is finished

Muzza