The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 21, 2009, 12:48 AM   #1
RedHawk357

S&W Performance Center anyone had cylinders reamed?

Hello everyone, wondering if any of you have used the S&W Performance Center for reaming cylinders out? Thinking of sending my 629 DX Classic off for the Master Revolver Package, wondering if they will ream my cylinder throats if requested? It's a great gun to shoot but it leads something fierce. From mild to spunky loads it always ends with lots of scrubbing. After cleaning I attempted to place a OT Lasercast 240 gr SWC to see how far it would drop. The OT bullets measure pretty consistently at .430, there was no way you could push one through without possibly popping a vein in your forehead. Which leads me to believe the throats are a little under bored. According to the cylindersmith web site I think he reams the throats out to .4305. So I am wondering if the Performance Center also does that type of work? Don't want to send it off to be tuned up only to turn around and send it off to someone else to tinker with it after the Performance Centers blesses off on it. Thanks
Posted on the S&W Forum as well but wasn't getting any info that I could use to make a decision. Thanks for your input.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Can't imagine they wouldn't. It's just about the first thing a revolver smith does in an accuracy package. My Ruger Redhawk shoots touching holes at 50 yards. A friend of mine was impressed by that and went out and got one that wouldn't stay in 12" at that same range. He sent it to Ruger with an accuracy complaint. They sent it back six weeks later with a work statement saying they had reamed the cylinders. It doesn't quite shoot up to my gun, but it is under 2" now, instead of 12", so he is satisfied.

The point of the story is that cylinder reaming is not a secret. They should all know it and if they test fire it for accuracy, they'll notice if there's a problem.

The second thing that is a common revolver problem is a throat constriction where the barrel screws into the frame. Lapping or fire lapping will clean it up, but if you are going to try the latter, I would do it before sending the gun out, since it will partly open up the chambers and you don't especially want to alter the reamed ones you get back from the custom shop.

To find out if you have a constriction you'll have to slug the bore with a fairly pure lead slug. If you clean and lightly oil the bore and gently tap a lead ball into the muzzle and push it slowly down the bore, you'll feel any tight spot if it is there. If it is, lead bullet accuracy will be impossible to obtain until you clear it out. Cast bullet alloys are too hard for this job, and will be springy enough that they feel hard to push down the bore whether there is a constriction or not. Hornady swaged lead balls for cap and ball revolvers are pure enough.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 22, 2009, 01:59 AM   #3
RedHawk357

Thank you Sir for your insight in this matter. I will take a look slugging the barrel and chambers this weekend and see where the chips fall. Have a great day.