The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1
ronl

Where's my powder?

Went to the local shop where I usually buy my reloading supplies today. Wanted to load some .223 so I figured I'd pick up a pound of W748 and one of H335 and a thousand CCI SR primers. None there. No 748 or H335. No CCI primers except a few 100 Magnum SR primers. Bummer. Only primers left were about 4 boxes each of Rem. 6 1/2 and Fed. 205. Walked out with some Benchmark and Fed. primers. Have any of you guys experienced the same lately? I am truly hoping it is simply a local thing and not a shortage.
Old December 22, 2008, 01:24 AM   #2
hoghunting

Inventory of reloading supplies has been very sporadic for the last 3 - 4 years as shipments were being back ordered due to the wars. Since the election, you're lucky if you find anything.
Old December 22, 2008, 02:56 AM   #3
lll Otto lll

What shortage?

I load for .223 as well.
In the past two weeks I've purchased 20,000 sm. rifle primers, 8lbs. of H335 and 8lbs. of BLC2 plus several pounds of A2230.
3000 once fired .223 brass and 3000 Hornady 55gr. FMJ's.

I had no problems finding any of it online.
Old December 22, 2008, 03:28 AM   #4
Nnobby45

Went to Sportsman's Wharehouse and there'd been a run on, bullets and powder. Large inventories of ammo are sold out. .223, .308, .30 Carbine, and pistol ammo that we used to buy in bulk---gone. Guns sales haven't been too bad, either. They have it all on order, and say they'll be getting more.

Where'd all the stuff go?

Well, see, we had this election, and the most anti-gun candidate in the history of the U.S. presidency won. He and the most rabidly anti-gun Congress, along with some of the most anti-gun cabinet members will be taking over in January.

There's been some panic buying, I'd say. That, combined with military ammo taking up much of production (been that way for a while), has put a strain on commercial availability. Especially for many of us who shoot a lot and like to buy by the case. Now there's stockpiling because of the uncertainty of the political future.

Same for reloading components where sales are booming.

As someone mentioned, much of this stuff can still be found on line, but it isn't getting any cheaper.

Last edited by Nnobby45; December 22, 2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old December 22, 2008, 04:17 AM   #5
lll Otto lll

Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't have the cash flow to maintain sufficient inventories. The reason there's no powder and primers on their shelves is because the vendors don't want to get caught holding the bag when Sportsmans files for bankruptcy. Gander Mountain is in the same boat so is Sports Authority.

Sportsman's lack of reloading components has little to do with shortages. The company will either be bought out or go out of business within the next 6 months.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:09 AM   #6
winchester243

Quote:
Sportsman's lack of reloading components has little to do with shortages. The company will either be bought out or go out of business within the next 6 months.
Looks that way.

http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_11114815
Old December 22, 2008, 03:27 PM   #7
BurkGlocker

I cant find any of my powders either, H4895 or Unique. Primers are getting pretty scarce as well.
Old December 22, 2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Nnobby45

Sorry to hear that Sportsman's Wharehouse is gonna fold up.

Cabela's in Reno wasn't in much better shape--inventory wise. There's still plenty of hunting ammo, but bulk .223, etc., along with pistol ammo generally used for practice were also gone. They said they were expecting more in, for what that's worth.