The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 27, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
bbqbob51

Considering a 38spl Taurus or Rossi revolver for my wife.

My wife and myself just finished a handgun safety course. Until recently, she was afraid to even shoot a .22 rifle but after taking this course and taking instruction at the range she is now wanting a .38spl revolver. The Taurus or Rossi revolvers are in our price range, the Smith and Wessons are nice just too expensive.
She does not want the light framed gun, she felt the kick more than the gun she fired with a full steel frame.She will probably not practice a lot so the gun will not see heavy use so we figure the Taurus or Rossi would be good guns in that price range. Any opinions? Any other new guns in that price range you would recommend? Thanks!
Old November 27, 2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Taurus and Rossi seem to be hit or miss with their quality. If you do a search, you'll find lots of threads regarding this. Lots of people have had good luck with them, but lots of people haven't. I bought a NIB Taurus M85 and it seized up solid on me. That was my first and last Taurus.

My suggestion might be looking for a nice used S&W or a Ruger SP.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; November 28, 2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old November 27, 2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Keltyke

I have a Taurus 85UL (the lightweight version). I love it, my wife hates it for the same reasons your wife would. The 85 also comes in a standard weight version your wife would like. Mine has been 100% reliable and is accurate out to 5 yards. Since the snubbie is basically a point and shoot, belly to belly, "get off me" weapon, I don't expect to have to use it beyond that range. However, if you have time to cock and aim, it's pretty accurate beyond that. Loaded with something like Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel JHPs, it's a good PD weapon. There are many after market grips out there for her to try that may improve her control and lessen the perceived recoil.

Despite the detractors, I like Taurus. My wife and I have 3 revolvers and 3 semis we love.
Old November 27, 2008, 07:10 PM   #4
bbqbob51

Yeah, this will be her "bedroom" gun, purely for self defence in a worse case scenario. Close quarters and must go "BANG"!
Old November 27, 2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Nick1364

Taurus or Rossi revolvers are ok to so so, you might also look at a Ruger SP model.
Old November 27, 2008, 07:30 PM   #6
orionengnr

I have owned one Taurus and one Rossi.

The Taurus (M-441, 3" .44 Spl) got me into .44 Spl, but as soon as I got my hands on an S&W 696, the Taurus was gone.

The Rossi (M-68 IIRC, 2" ,38 Spl) was total junk. Each and every shot, the recoil caused the cylinder to unlatch and the action would bind up solid. Slap the cylinder closed and you get one more shot. I replaced the ejector rod and the cylinder latch spring (all I could think of) then took it to a real 'smith. He gave me his opinion, which was not complimentary.

I considered my options, and then exercised the one which brought me the most personal satisfaction. It has been resting at the bottom of a certain lake for the last "few" years.

If you do a search on "Taurus quality" you will find enough reading material to last you through the New Year.

In my personal, admittedly limited experience, I would not recommend against your buying a Taurus, but I would strongly advise you to do your homework beforehand, and I will say that I have no intention of buying another.

On the other hand, I would definitely recommend against buying a Rossi, although now that Taurus owns Rossi, Rossi's quality may come up to the standard of Taurus. New Rossis have Taurus' "lifetime warrantee", so at least you won't have to throw it in a lake...
Old November 27, 2008, 07:37 PM   #7
fairview mick

.38 for wife

In lieu of buying a new Rossi or Taurus, find a resaonably priced used Smith. You'll be much, much better off.
Mickey
Old November 28, 2008, 07:27 AM   #8
B.N.Real

I've owned three Model 85's and they were all capable revolvers.

I currently own a 85UL that is accurate,very light and has a great trigger action too.

And it has a 'lock' that has never turned itself on while shooting either.

Smith's are great revolvers as well.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:58 AM   #9
wnycollector

I have stopped at my fav local gun store and checked out the rossi 6 shot .357 more times than I care to remember. I love the idea of a Colt D frame sized 6 shot revolver loaded with +P .38's for less than $300...but every time I pull the trigger, I decide not to buy. I have tried several different specimens but ALL have a gritty long trigger pull! I guess I'm spoiled with S&W's

If this is going to a bedroom gun, may I suggest a 4" barreled S&W model 10. Used model 10's can still be found for less than a new taurus or rossi (I picked up a 1925 S&W M&P 5" for $195 OTD last month!). Snubs are generally more suited to someone who is willing to put in lots of practice time to learn how to shoot them. Longer barrels tend to be more foregiving to inexpereinced shooters. My youunger brother cant hit the side of the barn with any of my snub .38's...but give him my 5" M&P and he bocomes a respectable shot!
Old November 28, 2008, 08:05 AM   #10
tomgun

dont buy taurus/rossi junk

check out ruger sp101,
theres nothing worse than a t/r malfunction,IMO its a crap shoot to get a flawless taurus/rossi.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Jkwas

Quote:
If this is going to a bedroom gun, may I suggest a 4" barreled S&W model 10. Used model 10's can still be found for less than a new taurus or rossi
I agree. Just make sure she's good with the trigger pull. My wife likes to shoot the K frame, but she likes her J frame better. It has a lighter trigger pull. If you can't find the smith's, then the Taurus or Rossi are still a good choice as long as the dealer will stand behind them.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Ditto a used Ruger or S&W.