The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2007, 08:23 AM   #26
FirstFreedom

There are new pictures added at the monster pig page just since yesterday - hmmm.

Pigs do have coyotes as enemies when they're piglets. I'm sure a bear, puma, bobcat, & wolf would eat a piglet or small pig too, if the mother is not around to fight them, or if they can snatch & run.

OK, good point about trusting certain 11 yr olds - you are correct - it's all in how they're raised, and how mature the particular kid is.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:00 AM   #27
john in jax

Tried searching the Anniston Star (local newspaper) and couldn't find anything about it. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying I couldn't find any mention of it in the local Anniston newspaper.
Old May 18, 2007, 06:14 PM   #28
mrawesome22

They've put up some new pics since last night I see.

Is it just me, or does the hog look MUCH smaller in the tractor pic compared to the other pictures?
Old May 18, 2007, 06:15 PM   #29
VUPDblue

I think the tractor pic is the only one that might be telling the truth.
Old May 18, 2007, 06:20 PM   #30
FirstFreedom

It's not just you. Wonder why the OP is a one-post wonder on this subject, with no follow-up? Since you're local, Smitty908, surely you can give us some more detail / proof on this, right?
Old May 18, 2007, 06:23 PM   #31
fisherman66

I feel so dirty after looking at the tractor photo. I want a time refund.
Old May 18, 2007, 06:44 PM   #32
FirstFreedom

As an aside, this is an interesting comparison, from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogzilla

Look down toward the bottom there after the story of the Alapaha hogzilla:

Quote:
Local newsmedia reported that on January 5th, 2007 a 1,100 pound (500 kg) hog was shot in Fayetteville, near Atlanta, Georgia. The shooter was William Corsey, who hung the specimen from a tree in his yard. Neighbors reported that the animal had been seen in the neighboorhood several times over the preceding days. Corsey said he hauled it to a truck weigh station, where he says the hog weighed in at 1,100 pounds. A spokesperson from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources said that large boars and feral hogs were common in South Georgia, but that no records are kept on them. The media latched on to the notion that this animal rivals the size of Hogzilla. [3]
Here's more on the Alapaha one:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7264865/

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/..._hogzilla.html
Old May 18, 2007, 08:46 PM   #33
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I remember a story on them unearthing hogzilla. Measured him at like 12 feet or a little under. Not the 13 or 15 as was told in legend.
Old May 18, 2007, 09:03 PM   #34
Mike U.

I ain't buying this hogwash! :barf:

I want to see a proper picture to scale. All those pics appear to be forced perspective shots from where I'm sitting.

Big daddy needs to stand there, grab the pig by it's ears and lift it's head. Or junior needs to climb up on it's back and pick the pig's ears up.

That way there can be no forced pespective pics like the ones I believe are being shown on that website.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:45 PM   #35
Pointer

Everybody takes their game photos in a manner that improves on the size perpectives...

But 1000 lbs is 1000 lbs!

I've had some small experience with hogs and that Sumbitch is a really big hog!

And he's pretty photogenic too!

30-06 FOREVER
Old May 18, 2007, 11:25 PM   #36
lfmayor

ever work with hogs?

Those da*n things can't be hurt, except on the nose, or by the heat. We only had the 300 400 lb. varieties too, hamps, durocs, nothing close to a 1/2 ton. Some were timid, a few weren't, esp. the sows in the farrowing (birthing) shed... that's why there were put in "crates". They eat anything, even their own young sometimes... and a feral one wandering about would pose a pretty serious threat if it caught you or the wife/kids out in the yard.

So, here's the 2 cents from the farmboy who done good... those metrosexual hand-cream wearers who might be abhorred by the "murder" of this dear sweet animal might take time to reconsider over their bacon tomorrow morning. Or do you even eat meat? Or ever been to a farm?

2 Americas? John E. might not be so ignorant after all...
Old May 19, 2007, 12:41 AM   #37
mrawesome22

FirstFreedom, I really enjoy reading your posts and think you are a great asset to this forum, but I have to disagree with your age assumptions.

Quote:
How many of you trust your 11 year old kid with a .22, let alone handgun, let alone a .500 s&w?
I was enjoying firearms since the age of 6 years old. My father instilled in me the respect any firearm deserves. Whether it be a handgun, rifle, shotgun, my father taught me the importance of safe firearm handling.

By the time I was 10 I was allowed to get any gun I wanted and go into the field by myself. I usually grabbed the .22LR and popped chipmunks LOL.

I believe age has nothing to do with maturity. I believe the people who raised you has a lot to do with maturity.

When my boy is 11, I'll garantee you he'll be a great shot with a 500S&W Though I'm sure the 22LR will get used much more often
Old May 19, 2007, 08:17 AM   #38
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I understand now...I did an about face in post #26 above on this page. Both your kid and mine (when we have) will be an ace on the .500 s&w at age 11!
Old May 19, 2007, 09:02 AM   #39
FirstFreedom

Let's see.

The original hogzilla - the Alapaha one - was supposed to be 12 foot, and 1,000 lbs. It ended up being 7.5-8 feet, and 800 lbs. That's a 50% exaggeration of length, and a 25% exaggeration of weight.

This new one is supposed to be 1,051 lbs, and 10.6 feet long. Only time will tell whether or not that is an exaggeration.

Regardless, they are both BIG! (unless completely, elaborately hoaxed with a stuffed dummy animal)

Now, how do we know that they are not simply farmed-raised swine, shot, with a made-up hunting story added? I dunno; good question.

Quote:
those metrosexual hand-cream wearers who might be abhorred by the "murder" of this dear sweet animal might take time to reconsider over their bacon tomorrow morning.
Bwaaaahahaha!
Old May 19, 2007, 09:27 AM   #40
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess the part of the story that doesn't jibe for me is the idea of an 11-year-old kid shooting the .500. Hey, I had my own .22 rifle at that age, and wouldn't have been "afraid" of any normal-sized pistol. But several shots from a .500? Color me dubious. I'd readily believe that one of the "old folks" did the shooting and let the kid have the credit. That's common among deer hunters.

Feral hogs can get very big, so even some exaggeration about the size of this one isn't any big deal. It's just what folks do. Just like fish, if he'd gotten away, he'd have been even bigger.

Art
Old May 19, 2007, 10:38 AM   #41
Capp35

I could make my dog look like it weighs 400lbs if I stood 5 feet back while you take the picture of us.

Looks fake. The tractor picture is the only one that hasn't been fooled with. Looks like about a 5-600lb hog.
Old May 19, 2007, 03:25 PM   #42
oldbillthundercheif

The first hogzilla was dug up, measured, and DNA tested fairly recently.

It was smaller than claimed, but not by much. DNA showed it was the offspring of a feral domestic pig and a wild pig. This was a big deal because the two had not been known previously to mate in the wild.

This new one is a crock. The tractor photo looks kosher but the rest are obvious fakes.

Why do people feel the need to blow these things out of proportion? It was a damn big pig to start off with. That would be good enough for me.
Old May 19, 2007, 11:06 PM   #43
Pointer

lfmayor...
We had a small "Pig Palace" on the ranch and raised Hampshires...

We took the boar to market and he weighed in at over 650...

I was just a kid of 14 and that pig was scary-big to me!

A wild/feral-mixed hog was shot in Holister, Kalifornica back about 1960, or there abouts, that weighed in at a little over 725...

Wild Pigs in that Big Sur area have a faint trace of Russian Boar in them, because there were a couple of dozen Russians released from the Hearst Ranch Menagerie at San Simeon back in... I think it was the 30's.

I agree with you... If you haven't been up close and personal with a really big hog... you will never believe in photos like these...

30-06 FOREVER
Old May 20, 2007, 04:53 PM   #44
TCman

If the kid is only11, how ishe allowed to hunt with a handgun? In Indiana you have to be 18 with a concealed weapons permit to carry a handgun or even hunt with one.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:10 PM   #45
VUPDblue

Well, the OP got his wish by riling us all up, and now he's gone. This one should be done now...
Old May 21, 2007, 02:44 PM   #46
ojibweindian

I live about an hour-and-a-half northwest of Anniston (maybe two), and haven't heard a thing in the local papers about this pig. I did hear that the "Rick and Bubba" morning show, out of Birmingham, had the boy and an adult on the program last week.

Anyways, the rumor is (http://www.aldeer.com) that the hog was actually a domestic that was released onto the two hundred acre property where it was shot. So, it's not "really" wild in a traditional sense.
Old May 21, 2007, 02:58 PM   #47
FirstFreedom

That sounds more like it.
Old May 23, 2007, 09:22 AM   #48
Dirty_Harry

My 20 year old buddies have trouble handling a .44 magnum, that kid has to be a beast or like Art said, his father did the shooting for him.

I however handle the .500 quite well

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old May 24, 2007, 12:15 AM   #49
Smitty908

Quote: "Well, the OP got his wish by riling us all up, and now he's gone. This one should be done now..."

Holy cow guys.....cut a guy some slack. I have had a little computer trouble lately...Geez My intent was not to rile anyone up or anything of the sort....I wish I knew the people who killed this pig, but I don't. All I did was post an interesting website that I found. I stated that the pig was killed near my hometown of B'ham. I don't live there anymore, I live in a little town called Wetumpka down in mid/south Alabama, so I can't exactly run up the street to see a pig carcass. I am not saying that the photo is acurate or that it does not have 'forced perspective' I have no clue.....The validity is for everyone to debate, but like I said...I don't have a personal connection to this story so....my apologies if I twisted anyone's panties....

-Tim
Old May 24, 2007, 12:48 AM   #50
Smitty908

Verification.....

Here you go....the link to the Anniston Star story on it. ....It appears it is real.

http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/2...-7e22x5106.htm

-Tim