The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 9, 2002, 12:26 AM   #26
Jamie Young

This is fun!! I think I've posted about 5 times in the last 24hrs in the forum.

I think some of you need to post your experiences with F/A guns so some of us can learn something. I still don't know how the trigger goes from Semi to F/A in most guns.
Old August 9, 2002, 12:43 AM   #27

Does anyone know of a way to buy single copies of Small Arms Review ? I buy it occasionally. I know of one gun store about 70 miles away that stocks it, and if I remember, I buy a copy at the gun show. I am interested in reading what I think is the current issue; "the suppressor issue".
I drove way out of my way today to go to that gun store that stocks it, and he was closed. I was slightly pissed and decided not to go back. He doesn't have anything else in the store that interests me except that freaking magazine.
The Small Arms Review is OK. Although a lot of stuff in there doesn't interest me at all such as articles on Claymore Mines. I am much more interested in the actual practice of shooting NFA weapons today. It is interesting to read articles about how they were used in some bygone war, but tips on shooting mine would be welcome as would product reviews on stuff I can buy today.
Old August 9, 2002, 12:47 AM   #28
HKP7PSP

My local newstand has it. I see it at some big chains, maybe Borders. I just get depressed seeing the prices of C-III compared to a few years ago. I paid lots of money for a few, but I would be more than happy for WalMart to start selling M16s for $599 and have my investment ruined.
Old August 9, 2002, 07:48 AM   #29
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Believe it or not, I used to get Small Arms Review from the Qwik Trip convenience store near my old place of employment. The store was about a block from the county cop shop, and apparently one of the cops had asked 'em to carry it, lor' bless 'im.
Old August 9, 2002, 03:22 PM   #30
MrPink

You can buy current issues at Barnes & Noble or Tower. Back Issues directly from the SAR website.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old August 9, 2002, 04:22 PM   #31

I went to Barnes and Noble today and bought the September issue, but of course the one I want is the August issue. So, I went to their websight and found what I was looking for. Of course it is now after business hours at their location and it is Friday, so I will have to remember to do this on Monday. Typical. I created a shortcut to my desktop hoping that I will see that and it will remind me.
Old August 9, 2002, 04:53 PM   #32
MrPink

If I recall, the August issue is the Suppressor Issue - a very good one indeed. If you need, I can xerox you the articles you are interested in.

Even if you don't like all the issues of SAR, at $35/year it does provide a savings from the newstand price and they are delivered to your door every month.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old August 9, 2002, 07:42 PM   #33

I am interested in the suppressor info. I am going to buy one or three and wanted to learn what I was doing. If you can scan the suppressor related articles without too much trouble, great, otherwise I will call them on Monday and buy last months issue. No real big deal, I am sure they will have some.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:22 PM   #34
MrPink

Sorry no scanner. But willing to xerox and snail mail.

If you want to learn more about suppressors, I highly recommend Al Paulson's books - Silencer: History and Performance, Vol 1 & 2. vol one deals mostly with early, pre 1934 history and suppressors for the 22LR. Vol 2 gets more into centerfire pistol, SMG, assault rifles hi pwer rifles. Great seminole works - a real must have for suppressor afficiandos. Get them from Amazon.com for $35 per vs. the $50 retail.

While the SAR suppressor issue is great, it has more interviews with manufacturers than anything - Paulson's books will teach you much much more.

Old June 20, 2004, 01:54 PM   #35
RoyJ

Additions to this forum

Some of the items I have not seen very much of here in this forum are AOWs,SBRs,ans SBSs. Since you have to go through pretty much the same hoops for these types of weapons maybe you need a discussion forum for them also. I myself have a SBR AR-15 that I had all kinds of trouble getting to feed. Finally found that it needed a fix straight off the full auto forum. (pigtail gas tube). So how about some feedback on this subject. Auto ordnance is releasing SBR M-1 Thompsons shortly. At around $1300
they'll be much more available than their full auto brethren.

Thanks

RoyJ
Old June 20, 2004, 05:23 PM   #36
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Whoops!

RoyJ, thanks for reviving this old thread - - It is just as on-topic now as it was when started.

I must take some blame - - I posted my high resolve to start something on the forum from time to time, and then did NOT do so, from AUG 02 through TFL shutdown at the end of that year.

And, now, here I am as forum moderator and have only started a couple of threads.

So far as I'm concerned, ANY of the Title Whatsis arms and accessories are on-topic for this board. If it needs BATFE paperwork, go for it. Of, if someone just wants to discuss machine guns or suppressors or cannon or other stuff which cannot even be privately owned, have at it.

AOWs, SBRs, SBSs, rocket launchers, whatever. Let's stop short of telling each other how to do ANYTHING illegal, is all that is required.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 20, 2004, 05:50 PM   #37
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Let's stop short of telling each other how to do ANYTHING illegal, is all that is required.
Most people can figure that one out on their own. What is hard is not violating one of the arcane rules of ATF.

NRA Life Member
Old June 21, 2004, 02:03 PM   #38
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Hkmp5sd wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Let's stop short of telling each other how to do ANYTHING illegal, is all that is required. [end]

Most people can figure that one out on their own. What is hard is not violating one of the arcane rules of ATF.
I understand what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent. The vast majority of those who have even a passing knowledge of firearms know, at least in the abstract, that there are federal regulations concenring possession/making of - -
-- Short Barrelled rifles and shotguns. (They may be a bit vague as to legal barrel length and overall length . . .)
-- Fully automatic firearms. (And lots of folks are unaware that these CAN be privately owned in most states, IF one jumps through the proper hoops.)
-- Suppressors/Silencers (Ditto)

Given this knowledge, if and when a person decides to explore acquisition of such an item, he/she is contemplating spending some MONEY - - Ranging from respectable amounts for the simplest suppressor + tax stamp, to the price of a nice car. It behooves the buyer to explore the ins and outs of the law as pertains to the hardware. It may take some looking, but it's all on the 'net, or in the law library. Even BATFE is pretty helpful, once you get hold of the right person. I do NOT understand an otherwise intelligent and responsible gun owner who refuses to pick up the phone and place a few calls to make SURE of the law. Do-it-yourself is all very well and good, but the law is just too dang complicated not to seek expert assistance.

As I've said before, and will undoubtedly say again, I do NOT like the way the laws and regulations are set up, and - - But wait, that's a rant for another day. Anyway, they are what we have to work with, until the law changes. MOST people who actually get in trouble are trying to skirt around or evade the law, for whatever reason. It really isn't worth while, in my estimation.

It is interesting to discuss "modifications" to our guns, and custom gun smithing. But when it extends to making a gun full auto, or silencing the sound it makes, we need to be VERY clear that we're not giving specific instructions on how to break the law. That kind of instruction is available some places, but not on TFL.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 21, 2004, 10:04 PM   #39
RoyJ

Heres an Idea

The next time you go into a gunshop and the person behind the counter seems like a knowledgeable person ask them: Where is the closest Class 3 dealer? I would be willing to bet that they will not know. I work in a small gunshop in Ohio and at least once during the time I am in there a customer will make the statement "Oh you can't have that! (subgun suppressor etc.) It really perks them up when you are able to send them to a Class 3 dealer. And It removes the stigma the media has cast upon such things.
Plus it can bring all sorts of good stories from the vets who occasionally come in too. Try it. Can't hurt!
Old July 5, 2004, 10:39 PM   #40
Arizona Fusilier

With two full auto and a silencer....

to my name, I'm kinda embarassed I've never posted here, given how fond I am of TFL.

I'll try to be more active. But to expound a little on the observation of the "entry price" and "limited seating" that is the nature of this hobby, even if we're "in", we're probaby limited in our first-hand experiences with particular types of weapons.

Still, I'll try to stop by more often.
Old July 6, 2004, 12:10 AM   #41
M2HMGHB

Closest class 3 is the neighborhood gun dealer. Kinda arcane in a state like NJ, he was complaining about why he even bothered, he's not going to buy a full auto for 13 grand and have it "just" sitting around gathering dust.
Old September 12, 2004, 04:58 PM   #42
The Rock

Well, this is certainly a blast from the past. An old thread on what I thought was a dead board.

Now that prices have gone totally insane, I'm kicking myself for not buying more full auto's.

I'm working a deal to buy a bunch of receivers, so I'm thinking a SBR is in the future, as well as a .223 suppressor.

I know where the closest class 3 dealer is - he's me. Well, not really, but I am the Class 3 dude there, so close enough.

TR
(PS, not sure what is scarier, the fact that I remembered my password, or when this thread was originally posted.)
Old September 21, 2004, 12:32 AM   #43
User Name

Well being new (been lurking for a few weeks and just joined yesterday) I can give you an outsiders or newbies point of view. It was stated earlier how there are trolls and a$$hats posting on the more active FA boards and that just shows the maturity level of some of there members (not to offend anyone, I moderate at a large off-road forum and we have our fair share of trolls and "know it alls" **who don't even own the item in question** that will regurgitate over heard advise as their own and then arguing with members who actualy have real world experience in it! ). What I have noticed at this site is: while it's true every one has there fav. pistol, or opinions on the best hunting rifle, etc. No-one blast another for their views...indicating that there is a higher maturity level here than most sites...so I think you're finding (as stated by some with "wow look at the response to this thread") that a lot of members and prolly a few lurkers do check out this forum as purely a learning tool. They don't feel compeled to post something they know very little about. Which in my book is a good thing...you don't have to weed through the mumbo-jumbo to get to the facts...
I personaly would LOVE to own a FA...one day when funds permit, I will. I'll prolly try to get a suppressor before then (once again due to funds, it's cheaper ).

Kinda like when I was growing up there was a store down the road from my house....a little general country store....and on Sat. morning a fair group of old guys would end up showing up to stand around the stove, drink coffee and BS...as a kid I would sit at the counter within ear shot and let them take me away to foriegn countries, or try to understand the meaning of "cold war" or any number of topics that would end up being thrown out right there in front of that potbellied stove. Now I find myself drinking coffee down at the diner BSing with the guys before work and every now and then one of the guys will have their youngun with them, and I watch their face as they try to stay with the conversation, remembering what it was like for me back then.
So by all means carry on...I'm just gonna hang out over here in this corner, sitting in the shadows and listen to you guys..learn as much as I can and I'll chime in if the need ever arises.

P.S. love the site...wish I'd found it sooner.
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!