The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 14, 2001, 12:26 AM   #1
RandolH

Surface Rust

I picked up an old Browning Hi-Power at an estate auction not long ago, and it's pretty heavily covered in surface rust. I don't think that the finish of the metal is affected, but it's taken on a much more reddish tint than it should in places, especially on the grip and on the cross-hatched area of the slide. Any suggestions as to what to do?
Old October 14, 2001, 07:10 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

RandolH, fine steel wool, #000, will usually work well to remove surface rust but you need to keep an eye on it for a while. If you don't get it all the gun will continue to rust even under oil. George
Old October 14, 2001, 09:47 AM   #3
Clayton

Corrosion X will stop the rust.
www.corrosionx.com

Flitz, Iosso, or MAAS polish may help remove it as well.
www.flitz.com
www.maaspolish.com
www.iosso.com

Last edited by Clayton; October 14, 2001 at 10:15 AM.
Old October 14, 2001, 10:11 AM   #4
johnwill

Hmm... www.maas.com gets you to:

Maas Database Applications Pte Ltd

Doesn't look like they know anything about rust there.
Old October 14, 2001, 10:18 AM   #5
Clayton

Thanks for the heads up, John. Got it fixed now .

Birchwood Casey makes Blue & Rust Remover:
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
Old October 14, 2001, 02:02 PM   #6
PKAY

I wouldn't recommend Flitz unless you plan to refinish the gun, then it's great! I tried it on some surface corrosion at the muzzled end of a Python I bought at a pawn shop. It worked beautifully on the corrosion...and also the bluing!
Old October 14, 2001, 10:21 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Blue and rust remover.

DON'T USE BLUE AND RUST REMOVER ON A BLUED GUN!!!! It will remove the rust AND THE BLUE, just like the name says.

For light rust, try copper wool (copper Brillo pads in the housewares section of your local super market) before trying steel wool. Copper will not scratch steel or bluing.

For a rust and crud remover, I use G96 Gun Treatment, which kills rust pretty well and (as far as I can tell after a half-dozen years) does no harm to anything.

Another good way to kill rust, though not necessarily recommended unless the pistol is completely disassembled, is boiling distilled water. The water will dissolve the salts or acid that are the real cause of the rust and stop it cold.

Jim
Old October 14, 2001, 10:42 PM   #8
Clayton

Jim, I didn't give a warning on the Blue and Rust Remover because I figured it was self explanatory . I mentioned it because by the sound of it, refinishing may be in order.

If you decide to reblue the pistol youself, G96 makes the best blueing paste you'll ever use. The Gun Treatment is also very good.
www.g96products.com

Corrosion X will completely end the electrolysis process, and seperates any moisture from the metal. It's also an excellent lubricant.
www.corrosionx.com
Old October 15, 2001, 11:12 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Clayton,

I figured that, but some of the folks on here are real newbies and so I always try to think what they might do out of inexperience.

Jim
Old October 19, 2001, 09:20 AM   #10
RandolH

Bluing

Would there be any reason to blacken a gun that's been blued? It's belgian army issue and has been blackened by whatever process it is they use to make guns black, will the copper wool or rust remove affect that?

Thanks all
Old October 19, 2001, 10:28 AM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Bluing is not harmed by brass wool; sometimes very fine bluing can be lightly scratched by steel wool. Blue and Rust Remover will remove blue, which is simply a refined rust (oxidation). Some military forces painted their guns; the paint is easily touched up or can be removed with paint remover if caution is used not to leave it on too long as some paint removers can etch steel.

As a rule, if the gun is collectible, any attempt to restore the finish will decrease the value, even if the original finish is worn. For example, it is common for a 60% gun worth $500 to be reblued into a 100% gun worth $200.

Jim