The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 12, 2015, 10:39 PM   #1
burritoman

Brand new to shooting- no idea which scope rings to get

Hello folks, the title says it all. I'm about to pick up my first rifle and I'll need some rings to mount a scope. I don't want to spend more than $30, as my rifle will be an inexpensive AR-15 and the scope is a Bushnell Banner (~$90). At the moment I'm trying to keep things functional but affordable. There's a lot of options and I really have not clue what the difference is between each brand (burris, leupold, weaver, etc.). I'l most likely bring my rifle to a gun shop so that I can try different heights to see what is comfortable, but I'd like to walk in as an educated customer. What rings would you recommend for under $30?
Old August 13, 2015, 05:48 AM   #2
precision_shooter

Leupold PRW or Weaver should work fine for your needs.

If you are not running a riser on the top rail, you will likely need high to extra high rings. Personally, I would spend a little more money and buy an aluminum riser rail, then mount low to medium rings on that or just buy a canted AR type one piece mount like the Nikon "P" mount.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776