The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Best cheap .22/.22 mag revolver

I plan on buying a new rimfire revolver sometime in the next few weeks. I want something that has interchangeable .22lr/.22mag cylinders. Right now my sights are set on the Heritage rough rider combo with the 9-shot .22lr cylinder and 4.75" barrel. Ive also looked at the Puma m-1873. I dont know much about the Puma, I just know there are ALOT more of the Heritages around and figured it must be for good reason. Is there a better option in the sub-$300 range? If not, which of the two mentioned is best? It will be used for plinking, small game at short range, and a fishing sidearm to shoot snakes and such.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
jlr2267

I have a Heritage RR, and it seems to be a good shooter. I have the interchangeable cylinders but have never used the magnum. I like shooting CB Shorts in the back yard with it.

If I could have found a used single 6, I might have bought that instead...but I didn't, and I have no regrets.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
drail

Been there - done that. Just buy a .22 LR revolver. The bore size for a .22 mag is larger than a .22 lr. What this means is that if the bore is sized for the .22 mag. (and it will be on a convertible setup) when you fire a .22 lr. the fit will be loose enough that accuracy will be, let's say, lousy when you fire .22 lr ammo. Years ago I had a Ruger convertible Single Six and it was a tackdriver with .22 mag. but sucked with .22 lr ammo. Sold it and never looked back.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
steveNChunter

I have yet to find an unsatisfied RR owner so that must be a good sign. I just dont know anything about the Puma. Id at least like to hear something bad about it so it would make my decision easier. Does your RR have a steel or alloy frame? Which sights does it have? Drail, that makes sense what youre saying about accuracy issues, but I will probably be using the .22 mag more for everything but plinking. Id really like to have that .22 mag cylinder and given the choice of one or the other Id probably want the mag. I just saw that the lcr is now offered in .22 mag but the barrel length is shorter than what Im looking for. Not to mention the msrp is $529

Last edited by steveNChunter; January 4, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
AssaultTortoise

If your looking for cheap then a Cimarron Plinkerton is the lowest cost new option I have found. Quality is not a word to use in the same sentence as these guns but the function on mine so far has be great. I wanted a cheap fishing gun a few years ago and bought a new Plinkerton convertible for $150. Most of my shooting has been with 22mag and its spent its life in the bottom of a fishing box loaded 5 up with a shot shell in first place. I cant speak to its accuracy on account of my being a horrible pistol shot. If you truly want a great gun that you'll be proud to hand down to your kids one day then a single six or bearcat is worth every penny. Gun shows and pawn shops are another option. I always keep my eye out for top break H&R 22's on the cheap.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:37 PM   #6
steveNChunter

I was doing some looking around online and ran across an EEA bounty hunter for right around $300. Does anyone have experience with one of these in the .22 combo?
Old January 5, 2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Wheelie_Fan

I'd recommend a Charter Arms Pathfinder. I've had one in .22LR with a 4" barrel for about 6 months now and have had no problems. I know they also make a convertible. Mine didn't cost an arm and a leg, shoots pretty nice groups and the trigger is smoothing out after about 600 rounds through it so far. I suspect it will continue to get better over time. Still fairly heavy, but smooth. Good luck, whatever your decision!
Old January 6, 2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Another very satisfied RR owner here. Mine has been great, and contrary to the previous post it's accuracy has been good. The goofy, and unnecessary safety is sometimes a pain. I almost always forget it the first time I try to fire a round, and just get a click. But aside from that minor glitch it's been an accurate, and fun plinker. I will say I don't use the Mag cylinder very much. No need for the extra power at the additional cost.

The Charter Pathfinder would be a double action option, but with a MSRP of over $500.00 I doubt if the OP can find one within his under $300 price range.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; January 6, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
steveNChunter

Cheapshooter is your RR an alloy or steel frame? Should I be concerned using the mag cylinder alot with the alloy frame version?
Old January 6, 2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Leejack

It's not cheap, but it's amazing. My highest recommendation, well worth the money.

Old January 6, 2013, 03:03 PM   #11
sandbag

Taurus

Avoid Taurus 22 magnums.Triggers suck and can't be made better.The S&W 22 Mag Kit Gun was the best-I have one but it wasn't cheap.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:01 PM   #12
steveNChunter

I agree 100% about the rugers and the s&w wheel guns. They are great and they are worth the money. But I already have a really nice .22 pistol. Not a revolver but a colt woodsman thats been handed down through a couple generations and has a book value of about $1500 in its condition, but the price is irrelevant because Ill never sell it. Its priceless to me. For that reason it is mostly a safe queen. Im looking for a beater gun thats cheap enough that it can get dropped and beat and banged around through the woods with and I dont have to feel bad about it. But something that will still shoot decently accurate and be reliable and trouble free. I think from what Ive read and heard, the RR will fit that bill fairly well. Also I should mention, before I go to order a new gun, I will definitely make a sweep of the local gun stores and pawn shops just to make sure there arent any beat up rugers, s&w's or the like at a crazy good deal.

Last edited by steveNChunter; January 6, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Mine is the alloy frame. I don't have any concerns with using the 22WMR cylinder, just don't have a need for more power, at a higher cost. In fact, some of the most accurate ammo I've found for it is the much malined Remington Golden Bullet bulk from Wallyworld. Pretty much does what I want it to out to 25 yards or so.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 6, 2013, 10:49 PM   #14
giaquir

I have a 5.5 inch 3 screw Ruger single six conv.
If I do my part it's pretty darn accurate with the 22lr
cylinder in place.I have shot the mag cylinder
(plinking not hunting) and find the round uncomfortable
to shoot.
ron
Old January 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #15
bird_dog

I have the RR too, and have had it for probably 5 years. It's surprisingly accurate. Not a beautiful gun, nor beautifully made, but it's been a good plinker for me, in both calibers.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:12 AM   #16
L_Killkenny

Really in the "inexpensive" .22lr/.22m SA market there is not really a reason to look at much else than the RR. Been around long enough that you know what you are gonna get. And what do you get with one? A gun with a horrid finish that will work reasonably well for awhile. They aren't 50,000 round guns, be stupid to think they are for what you pay.

Would I buy one? Not at today's prices. Back when they were $100-$125 dollars they held my interest. But at the $175-$225 price I see today I wouldn't touch one. At that I'd go with the more expensive Single Six or dump the idea of a revolver all together and get a Ruger 22/45 ($250). SA Revolvers are cool but not cool enough to buy a worse gun for a relatively minor savings.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:20 PM   #17
aarondhgraham

Consider a Charter Arms Target Pathfinder Combo,,,

Consider a Charter Arms Target Pathfinder Combo.

I just purchased a 4" Target Pathfinder in .22 LR,,,
It's a J-frame sized DA/SA revolver.

Mine is becoming quite a nice little handgun,,,
I've just started my 2nd 550 round bulk pack with it,,,
The trigger was stiff and heavy at first but is smoothing out nicely.

Just a suggestion.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 8, 2013, 06:00 PM   #18
savit260

You should be able to find a used Single Six for under 3 hundred. I did just that last week, and it's a 97% three screw OM Single Six for under $300. They are out there . All it takes is a little looking around.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:21 PM   #19
randombapfreak

I had an EAA Bounty Hunter 22LR/22WMR. It seemed good at first but with very little use the parts started to loosen. The frame is made of a very soft metal which means the screws will strip in time. Eventually the cylinder went out of time and became unsafe to fire. I sold it as a broken gun to a friend who believed he could fix it.

Stay far away from the EAA SAA clones.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:54 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

I know a lot of people like them, but I'll never consider a Heritage again.

I broken one, just looking at it. The next one the salesman tried to hand me was locked up, because the cylinder face was not milled straight, and was jammed on the barrel.
To make matters worse, he mumbled "We've been getting a lot of that lately."
No thanks...

Single action-
Ruger, or better.

Double action-
Charter, or better.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:20 PM   #21
steveNChunter

Just when I thought I had it figured out, killkenny has got me looking at the ruger 22/45, even though I wish it came in a .22 mag version. Where can you find them for $250 new? Now Im in the wrong forum...
Old January 8, 2013, 08:50 PM   #22
L_Killkenny

You're probably not gonna find them at your LGS and big box stores for that but I see em priced for that at gun shows all the time. Even the upper end 22/45's with all the bells and whistles go for $275 - $325. Bought this for $323 thanksgiving weekend:

No matter if you go for bottom end or something like mine, 22/45's are the best value in handguns.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; January 8, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:57 PM   #23
steveNChunter

I like it. That would look nice beside my old Colt woodsman but I could actually do more than look at the Ruger.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:12 AM   #24
CajunBass

I hate to say it, but a used Ruger isn't much more than $300.00 around here. Normally I hate the "save a little more and get something else" line, but in this case it's true because the OP set the bar rather high at $300.00. I've bought a Uberti 22 S/A in that price range too.

If you think used, you open up a whole world of other options. Just since Christmas I've bought two used 22's for less than $200.00. One was a Ruger standard semi-auto, and the other a High-Standard Sentinel, 9 shot, D/A revolver. No, they're not convertables, but I personally have never seen much use for a 22 Magnun. I've owned several with a magnum cylinder, but have never fired a single round.

(They were not "beaters" either.)

I suppose if I had to pick one of the less expensive new ones, I'd go with the Rough Rider.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 9, 2013, 07:44 AM   #25
h2otoo

Another happy R.R. owner. I regretted getting rid of the Ruger convertible so long ago, wanted another similar gun without spending too much. Did some research and bought the R.R. Another good tool in the tool shed.

Bob

Tags
.22 , .22 mag , heritage , puma , rimfire