The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Chris9472

Looking for an all purpose shotgun for hunting and HD.

I'm looking for a decent shotgun that I can use for HD/SD as well as being respectable for hunting if I ever get the chance. I want something with optional barrel lengths/gauges where I can change to a shorter barrel/gauge or pistol grip if I want to use for HD, and have a longer one for hunting. I don't want to buy an all black, or tactical looking shotgun strictly for SD/HD only.

I seen that Mossberg has something like this, but when I went on their website I couldn't find any specific models that stated they came with extra barrels or pistol grips. Their accessories page didn't seem to help much either.

Can anyone point to any specific links or models that has what I want? What about the Remington 870 Express? Having a pistol grip isn't all important but optional barrel lengths/gauges are.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:25 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

Either Mossberg or Remington will have the accessories you want available.
At the lower end I think Mossberg definitely has an edge. I wouldn't buy one of the lower end Remingtons.

Using one shotgun with different barrels doesn't work as well as you might think.
If you want to use for deer hunting and SD then I recommend you look at just leaving a rifled barrel in all the time. Enlarges the buckshot pattern significantly and are usually about 18 inches.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Noreaster

Remington, Mossberg and NEF all have pump shotguns with inter changeable barrels. If your thinking of HD and deer hunting then smooth bore short barrel with rifled sights or Remington has a rifled sight barrel with interchangeable choke tubes you could use for deer/turkey. Wing shooting is something else all together. You would want a short barrel 18.5-22 inch and a longer barrel of 26-28inchs. Your best bet is to check out the shops and chain stores to see what they have on hand.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:37 AM   #4
jonnyc

I went through the same search and ended up with a Maverick 88. Very happy with my choice.