The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 11, 2010, 09:38 AM   #1
nathaniel

I need a new muzzle loader.

Well I have a TC Renegade my dad put together from a kit in the 90's but I want a new muzzle loader I can shoot out alittle further. I have been looking at the TC Triumph Bone Collector Edition. I like the features it has and it can come with a scope if i order it from Cabelas. Do any of you have experience with this model? Is there one out there thats even better? Any help would be appreciated.
Old October 13, 2010, 09:43 AM   #2
spclPatrolGroup

Triumph is a good gun, it should serve you well, but since you asked about what people prefered better, I love my new CVA accura, using .50 power belts and BuckHorn, it has given me the tightest groupings I have ever got. Before you spend the extra money on a scope, make sure it is leagal to use one where you hunt, many states do not allow the use of optics, or limit the magnification to 1x.
Old October 14, 2010, 02:22 AM   #3
arcticap

There's also the new Traditions Vortek. But there's no absolute best rifle for everyone. The best rifle for you is the one that fits you and allows you to shoot your best. Each has different features and fit and feel, and no two people or guns are alike.
Check out and shoulder as many guns as you can, and read up on their warranties and user reviews at places like the Cabela's and Bass Pro websites.
The Huntingnet.com black powder forum also has many dedicated inline shooting enthusiasts that do a lot of range testing and many own multiple rifle models. So check them out and see what they have to say. But the decision is yours and yours alone to make in the end because you need to buy what's best for you. Every rifle has it's own secret advantages to be discovered if you give it a chance to let it speak to you. But you can only do that if you take a little bit of a calculated risk. We all do that whenever we buy a new gun. At least if you can't see it in person beforehand, then if you buy from a place like Cabela's then you can always send it back if you don't like it once you get it. And be sure to check out the manufacurer's websites for current rebate offers too!

Last edited by arcticap; October 14, 2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Ted

I have a Thompson .50 Cal. Omega in line and like it! Seem very accurate on the range any way. Have not hunted with it.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Ted

Don't know if anyone has said it yet...But welcome to the forum.