The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 4, 2009, 02:00 AM   #1
cwinge

Safety concern with M48 Mauser

I messed with the bolt for a while to clean it and got a bit of a scare when I couldn't put it back together or get it back in the receiver because I had idiotically pulled it out when the bolt was uncocked and the safety was in the normal "fire" position. I finally figured it out and got it back in place, but now the safety lever wiggles slightly when it is in its normal firing position. I can't remember if it did this before, and I'm afraid that I might have damaged it in some way but I might just be paranoid. Anyone know? Help greatly appreciated!
Old July 4, 2009, 03:45 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

What do you mean by "normal firing position"? The safety should not "wiggle" easily when the firing pin is cocked and the safety engaged, since the safety is holding back the firing pin and there is spring tension on it.

Some play in the safety is normal when it is in the "fire" position, whether the firing pin is cocked or not.

Jim
Old July 5, 2009, 01:50 AM   #3
cwinge

Yes I guess I was referring to what you describe as some play in the safety when it is in "fire" position since it does not do that when the safety is vertical or to the right. I just wanted to make sure this was normal, but according to what you said it sounds like it is, so that's good. Thanks for your help.
Old July 5, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
HiBC

Here is a bit more to ponder.You cannot take a bolt out of a 98 mauser with the bolt uncocked.The cocking occurs when you lift the bolt handle.
It is quite reasonable to put the safety on,(vertical) then remove the bolt.This makes removing the striker from the bolt quick and easy,but if you then take the safety off,you have a problem !!The striker uncocks.

Now,the play in your safety in the fire position is not uocommon.Tjhere is a spring and plungedr detent between th safety and bolt sleeve.It is common for that to be gunkied up to being non functional.If it is working right,the detent plunger would keep the safety from flapping.
Old July 5, 2009, 10:02 PM   #5
F. Guffey

Cwinge," I can't remember if it did this before" The slack was there before you removed the bolt.

F. Guffey
Old July 5, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, HiBC,

You may be thinking of a 91 Mauser or even a M1903, but there is no spring and plunger in the Mauser 98 or Yugo M48 safety.

The bolt has to be cocked to remove it, but there is no reason to put the safety in the mid position when removing the bolt unless you want to disassemble the bolt.

Incidentally, the bolt uncocking out of the receiver is no problem as a simple twist of the bolt sleeve will cock it again. If your hands are not strong, you can catch the cocking piece on the edge of the bench and cock it that way.

Jim
Old July 6, 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

And finally:
Its entirely normal for the Mauser 98 to have a slight amount of "wiggle" up and down when the safety is in the "fire" position.

Tags
bolt , lever , m48 , mauser , safety