The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 4, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
M14MSgt

in-line capper

I am a newbie to BP shooting, and I purchased a T/C In-line capper which holds several #10 percussion caps. How do I use it? When I tried to fit the cap at the end over the nipple on my 1851 Pietta, it wouldn't release. Am I doing something wrong?
Old May 5, 2008, 06:00 AM   #2
mykeal

Nope. Some cappers will not fit some revolvers.

Ted Cash makes and markets (available through almost any internet bp products supplier) a bp revolver capper that seems to fit more revolvers than any other. It holds about 100 caps, is round with a short curved dispensing arm - some have described it as a 'snail' shape. There is a very slight lip that protrudes beyond the ends of the spring that holds the cap next up for installing which can sometimes get in the way, but it's easily removed with a Dremel.
Old May 5, 2008, 08:39 AM   #3
M14MSgt

thanks...will look into that
Old May 5, 2008, 02:47 PM   #4
JayC

I have a Pietta Remington New Army, and its nipple recesses are particularly small. I haven't found any capper that will pull through without scraping and marring the cylinder. I have resorted to a dowel with a shallow hole to contain the cap, but it still requires a certain amount of dexterity. Has anyone found a good capper for Remingtons?
Old May 7, 2008, 10:41 PM   #5
byronw999

I bought 2 of the Ted Cash straight cappers to use with my Remmys and all they do is constantly fall apart.. I've had the best luck with a cheap CVA capper I got from Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=949569

Works great everytime..
Old May 8, 2008, 08:57 PM   #6
JayC

Your capper seems to be a mirror image of the two I have, from different makers. On both of mine, the spring side of the jaw cuts the left side of the nipple recess, as viewed while capping. I guess it would be the clockwise edge. In any case, I have resorted to using a dowel with a shallow hole drilled into the center of the end to grip the cap. It is very slow, and the extra adrenaline when I'm loading on the line at CAS matches makes me very clumsy. I will probably end up filing or using a Dremel to relieve the damaged edges, or I guess I could just let the capper do the work and reblue once the cuts are deep enough so they no longer rub!