The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 28, 2006, 05:05 PM   #1
threefivesevenmag

Quick Slug Question.

If using 12 gauge slugs in a defensive role does it matter if they are JHP or just regular old rifled slugs?

I am not worried about penetration, I am just curious if one would be more effective than another when used against an attacker.
Old May 28, 2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Ruger4570

Against humans, I doubt it will matter as long as you connect.
Old May 28, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

?

They make Jacketed Hollow Point slugs? I have seen HP slugs (Win) and the hollow point is kind of a dimple, not like the hollow point in pistol ammo. The slugs I have seen were not jacketed, just lead.

Slugs hardly need hollow points, particularly for anti-personnel use.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:25 AM   #4
johnsonrlp

I've never researched this, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone surviving being hit with any type of shotgun slug. Just get something you're comfortable shooting and ensure proper shot placement.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:31 AM   #5
johnsonrlp

I hit a ground squirrel with a rifled hollow point slug once, damned near dissapeared. Wish I had a picture of that...maybe I'll have to repeat that someday
Old May 29, 2006, 03:18 AM   #6
Maser

I once shot a crow the was eating almonds on the ground with one of them hard kicking federal magnum slugs and there was nothing but a big puff of black feathers. If using a slug as self defense then I would say stick with the rifled lead slugs. Them JHP sabot slugs are nothing more than a .45 or .50 caliber bullet moving very fast. Wouldn't you rather use a slug that is truly 12 gauge?
Old May 29, 2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Lee Lapin

There are very few certainties with shotguns, odd things can happen with any ammunition and in any shotgun. The instructor in a recent shotgun class I took talked about a student's slug being deflected by the bill of a baseball cap that had been placed on a 3-D target, for example. As I said, odd things can happen.

That said, given good hits I don't think many targets will be able to tell the difference. Personally I prefer to use Kent/Brenneke KO slugs for defensive applications, they are sort of a semi-wadcutter shape, made of a hard lead alloy with sharp shoulders and cut clean cookie-cutter holes. They have also proven quite accurate in every smoothbore shotgun barrel I've tried them in so far. And best of all, they are relatively inexpensive- less than $2 per box of five, on sale, and not much more than that at regular price.

hth,

lpl/nc
Old May 29, 2006, 09:23 AM   #8
mete

With the diameter of a 12 gage slug you don't need expansion !!! Pick the slug that's reliable and accurate and practice.
Old May 29, 2006, 11:14 AM   #9
sm

Agree with Lee and mete.

One additional thought, once you find a loading that performs in YOUR gun, run, don't walk and try to buy more of the same lot #.
Old May 29, 2006, 01:20 PM   #10
threefivesevenmag

Thank you all very much for your responses.

I have been shooting Wolf rifled slugs mainly and also Remington Reduced Recoil Buck.

Both are very accurate, but obivously the further the target, the slugs take the cake.
Old June 2, 2006, 02:05 PM   #11
azzhandler

ive killed dozens of deer with slugs mostly using the cheapo foster type slugs made by winchester the 1s ive recovered are usually on backside of deer just under the hide and expand very nicely most go clear through the deer shot are usually under 50 yds